Proof of "Every Cauchy Sequence is Bounded

In summary, the proof of "Every Cauchy Sequence is Bounded" states that every Cauchy sequence, which is a sequence of real numbers where the distance between consecutive terms gets smaller and smaller, is bounded. This means that there exists a number M such that all terms in the sequence are less than or equal to M in absolute value. The proof involves using the definition of a Cauchy sequence and the Archimedean property to show that the sequence must eventually stay within a certain interval, making it bounded. This result is important in real analysis and the study of convergence, and is often used in the proofs of other theorems.
fderingoz
I read the proof of the proposition "every cauchy sequence in a metric spaces is bounded" from

http://www.proofwiki.org/wiki/Every_Cauchy_Sequence_is_Bounded

I don't understand that how we can take m=N[itex]_{1}[/itex] while m>N[itex]_{1}[/itex] ?

In fact i mean that in a metric space (A,d) can we say that

[[itex]\forall[/itex]m,n>N[itex]_{1}[/itex][itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] d(x[itex]_{n}[/itex],x[itex]_{m}[/itex])<1][itex]\Rightarrow[/itex][[itex]\forall[/itex]n[itex]\geq[/itex]N[itex]_{1}[/itex][itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] d(x[itex]_{n}[/itex],x_{[itex]_{N_{1}}[/itex]})<1]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
fderingoz said:
I read the proof of the proposition "every cauchy sequence in a metric spaces is bounded" from

http://www.proofwiki.org/wiki/Every_Cauchy_Sequence_is_Bounded

I don't understand that how we can take m=N[itex]_{1}[/itex] while m>N[itex]_{1}[/itex] ?

In fact i mean that in a metric space (A,d) can we say that

[[itex]\forall[/itex]m,n>N[itex]_{1}[/itex][itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] d(x[itex]_{n}[/itex],x[itex]_{m}[/itex])<1][itex]\Rightarrow[/itex][[itex]\forall[/itex]n[itex]\geq[/itex]N[itex]_{1}[/itex][itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] d(x[itex]_{n}[/itex],x_{[itex]_{N_{1}}[/itex]})<1]
You are right. This is an error in the wiki. [itex]m,n>N[/itex] should be changed to [itex]m,n\ge N[/itex] wherever it occurs (this also holds with [itex]N_1[/itex] instead of [itex]N[/itex]). This fits the wiki's definition of Cauchy sequence, which the wiki's proof doesn't.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the answer i also think like you. This is an error in the wiki. But i saw several functional analysis book which write the proof of proposition same as in wiki. So,

Who is wrong?

Well, we can define "Cauchy sequence" with either [itex]>[/itex] or [itex]\ge[/itex], but in the former case, we cannot use [itex]N_1[/itex] the way it is used in the proof in the wiki. Then we also need an [itex]N_2>N_1[/itex] to work with, or something like that.

I would first clarify that the statement "every Cauchy sequence in a metric space is bounded" means that the sequence is bounded in the metric space, not just in the set A. This means that there exists a real number M such that for every element x in the sequence, the distance between x and any other element in the sequence is less than M.

In the proof provided on the website, the value N1 is used to establish a bound on the sequence. This means that for any element in the sequence beyond N1, the distance between that element and any other element in the sequence is less than 1. This is necessary to show that the sequence is bounded, as it ensures that the distance between any two elements in the sequence is never greater than 1.

To address the question about taking m=N1 while m>N1, this is simply a notation used to show that m is greater than N1. It is not meant to be taken literally as m=N1.

In response to the second question, yes, in a metric space (A,d), we can say that if for all m and n greater than N1, the distance between x_m and x_n is less than 1, then for all n greater than or equal to N1, the distance between x_n and x_{N1} is also less than 1. This is because for any n greater than or equal to N1, we can always find another element in the sequence, x_{N1}, and the distance between these two elements will still be less than 1.

Overall, the proof provided on the website is a valid and rigorous way to show that every Cauchy sequence in a metric space is bounded. It may be helpful to review the definitions of Cauchy sequences and boundedness in a metric space to better understand the proof.

Related to Proof of "Every Cauchy Sequence is Bounded

What is the proof of "Every Cauchy Sequence is Bounded"?

The proof of "Every Cauchy Sequence is Bounded" is a mathematical proof that shows that every Cauchy sequence, which is a sequence where the terms get closer and closer together, is bounded, meaning that all of its terms are contained within a certain range of values.

Why is the proof of "Every Cauchy Sequence is Bounded" important?

The proof of "Every Cauchy Sequence is Bounded" is important because it is a fundamental result in the field of real analysis, which is essential for understanding the properties of real numbers and their sequences. It also has important applications in other areas of mathematics, such as calculus and differential equations.

What is a Cauchy Sequence?

A Cauchy Sequence is a sequence of numbers where the terms get closer and closer together as the sequence progresses. This means that for any given value, there exists a term in the sequence that is closer to that value than any other term in the sequence.

How does the proof of "Every Cauchy Sequence is Bounded" work?

The proof of "Every Cauchy Sequence is Bounded" works by using the Cauchy criterion, which states that a sequence is Cauchy if and only if its terms get closer and closer together as the sequence progresses. This criterion is then used to show that the sequence is bounded by finding a value that is greater than or equal to all of the terms in the sequence.

What are the implications of "Every Cauchy Sequence is Bounded"?

The implications of "Every Cauchy Sequence is Bounded" are that any sequence that satisfies the Cauchy criterion is also bounded. This means that the terms in the sequence cannot get arbitrarily large or small, which has important consequences for the convergence and divergence of series and the continuity of functions in mathematics.