Proof of expanded divided difference?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a polynomial interpolater and its accuracy. The first question asks for proof and references for the method, while the second question compares the results of using Newton and Lagrange interpolation on a set of points. The conversation concludes that the error in extrapolation outside the range of data points is large and standard.
Superposed_Cat
Hey all, since I was programming a polynomial interpolater i found it easier to use the expanded divided difference $$ f[x_0 ,...,x_n] = \sum_{j=0}^{n} \frac{f(x_j)}{\Pi_{k}^{n,j \neq k} (x_j - x_k)} $$ , it works, but I can find no proof, any help/ references appreciated.

Second question: how accurate is Newton interpolating polynomial supposed to be? I gave it points from the function $$ -x^5 +x^4 +x^3 +x^2 +x+1 $$,

(1, 4), (2, -1),(3, -122),(4, -683),(5, -2344)

and it re-interpolated them correctly, but when I gave it the unknown point (6, -6221) it gave (6,-6101), is this error unnaturally large?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Just used Lagrange on the same points, it also gave -6101 for x=6, must be standard.

5 points are interpolated by a quartic: there is no information to derive the coefficient of x5 so extrapolation outside the rnage of the data points is inaccurate to an arbitrary extent.

Related to Proof of expanded divided difference?

1. What is "Proof of expanded divided difference"?

"Proof of expanded divided difference" is a mathematical technique used to prove the correctness of certain algorithms or formulas. It involves breaking down a complex expression or equation into smaller parts and showing that each part is correct, which in turn proves the overall correctness of the expression or equation.

2. How is "Proof of expanded divided difference" different from other proof techniques?

Unlike other proof techniques that rely on logical arguments or mathematical induction, "Proof of expanded divided difference" is a more visual and systematic approach that involves expanding an expression and evaluating each term separately. This can be particularly useful for proving the correctness of algorithms or complex mathematical formulas.

3. When is "Proof of expanded divided difference" commonly used?

"Proof of expanded divided difference" is commonly used in fields such as computer science, engineering, and mathematics, where complex algorithms and formulas need to be proven correct. It is also used in academic research to provide rigorous proofs for new theories or concepts.

4. What are the benefits of using "Proof of expanded divided difference"?

One of the main benefits of using "Proof of expanded divided difference" is that it allows for a clear and step-by-step approach to proving the correctness of an expression or algorithm. It also allows for easier identification and correction of errors, as each term can be evaluated separately. Additionally, it can provide a more intuitive understanding of the underlying concepts.

5. How can one improve their skills in "Proof of expanded divided difference"?

Practicing and working on a variety of problems that require the use of "Proof of expanded divided difference" is the best way to improve one's skills in this technique. It is also helpful to study and understand the underlying principles and concepts, as well as to seek guidance and feedback from experienced mathematicians or researchers.