Proof of Gauss' Lemma - Issue re Proof

• MHB
  • Thread starter Math Amateur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gauss Proof
In summary, Gauss' Lemma states that if a polynomial is reducible in a field of fractions, then it is also reducible in the original ring. The proof involves using the fact that a prime ideal in the original ring corresponds to a prime ideal in the polynomial ring, and that the residue class ring must be an integral domain in order for the argument to work.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
Gauss' Lemma is stated and proved on pages 303-304 of Dummit and Foote (see attachment)

===========================================================================================
Gauss Lemma

Let R be a UFD with field of fractions F and let [TEX] p(x) \in R[x] [/TEX]. If p(x) is reducible in F[x] then p(x) is reducible in R[x].

More precisely, if p(x) = A(x)B(x) for some nonconstant polynomials [TEX] A(x), B(x) \in F[x] [/TEX], then there are nonzero elements [TEX] r, s \in F [/TEX] such that rA(x) = a(x) and sB(x) = b(x) both lie in R[x] and p(x) = a(x)b(x) is a factorization in R[x].

===========================================================================================

In the proof of Gauss' Lemma on page 304 (see attachment) we find:

"Assume d is not a unit and write d as a product of irreducibles in R, say [TEX] d = p_1p_2 ...p_n [/TEX]. Since \(\displaystyle p_1 \) is irreducible in R, the ideal [TEX] (p_1) [/TEX] is prime (cf Proposition 12, section 8.3 - see attachment), so by Proposition 2 above (see attachment) the ideal [TEX] p_1R[x] [/TEX] is prime in R[x] and [TEX] (R/p_1R)[x] [/TEX] is an integral domain.

Reducing the equation dp(x) = a'(x)b'(x) modulo [TEX] p_1 [/TEX] we obtain the equation [TEX] 0 = \overline{a'(x)} \overline{b'(x)} [/TEX], hence one of the two factors, say [TEX] \overline{a'(x)} [/TEX] must be zero. ... ... (see attachment) .. "

============================================================================================= Problem!

In the proof we read:

"Since \(\displaystyle p_1 \) is irreducible in R, the ideal [TEX] (p_1) [/TEX] is prime (cf Proposition 12, section 8.3 - see attachment), so by Proposition 2 above (see attachment) the ideal [TEX] p_1R[x] [/TEX] is prime in R[x] and [TEX] (R/p_1R)[x] [/TEX] is an integral domain. ..."

I can see that this is the case, BUT why is this needed and how does the rest of the proof connect to this?

The next part of the proof is

"Reducing the equation dp(x) = a'(x)b'(x) modulo [TEX] p_1 [/TEX] we obtain the equation [TEX] 0 = \overline{a'(x)} \overline{b'(x)} [/TEX], hence one of the two factors, say [TEX] \overline{a'(x)} [/TEX] must be zero. ... ... (see attachment) .. "

But to do this we only need to divide by [TEX] p_1 [/TEX] and take the remainder as defining the coset. Is the section above confirming in some way that we can divide successfully?

Can someone please clarify?

Peter

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I have been thinking about my own question above.

A possible answer is as follows:

When we reduce the equation dp(x) = a'(x)b'(x) modulo [TEX] p_1 [/TEX] we are then dealing with elements in the ring [TEX] (R/p_1R)[x] [/TEX]. That is, when we are dealing with the equation [TEX] 0 = \overline{a'(x)} \ \overline{b'(x)} [/TEX] we are working with elements in [TEX] (R/p_1R)[x] [/TEX].

When we argue that one of the two factors in the equation [TEX] 0 = \overline{a'(x)} \ \overline{b'(x)} [/TEX], say [TEX] \overline{a'(x)} [/TEX] must be 0, we need to be sure that a'(x) and b(x) are not zero divisors and that means we need the ring [TEX] (R/p_1R)[x] [/TEX] to be an integral domain.

Can someone please confirm for me that my reasoning with respect to the proof of Gauss' Lemma is correct.

Peter

Peter said:
I have been thinking about my own question above.

A possible answer is as follows:

When we reduce the equation dp(x) = a'(x)b'(x) modulo [TEX] p_1 [/TEX] we are then dealing with elements in the ring [TEX] (R/p_1R)[x] [/TEX]. That is, when we are dealing with the equation [TEX] 0 = \overline{a'(x)} \ \overline{b'(x)} [/TEX] we are working with elements in [TEX] (R/p_1R)[x] [/TEX].

When we argue that one of the two factors in the equation [TEX] 0 = \overline{a'(x)} \ \overline{b'(x)} [/TEX], say [TEX] \overline{a'(x)} [/TEX] must be 0, we need to be sure that a'(x) and b(x) are not zero divisors and that means we need the ring [TEX] (R/p_1R)[x] [/TEX] to be an integral domain.

Can someone please confirm for me that my reasoning with respect to the proof of Gauss' Lemma is correct.

Peter
That is correct. Glad you managed to work it out for yourself. (Yes)

Related to Proof of Gauss' Lemma - Issue re Proof

1. What is Gauss' Lemma?

Gauss' Lemma is a mathematical theorem that states if a polynomial with integer coefficients is reducible over the integers, then it is also reducible over the rationals.

2. What is the importance of Gauss' Lemma?

Gauss' Lemma is important in the study of polynomials and their roots. It allows us to determine the reducibility of a polynomial over the rationals by only looking at its coefficients, rather than having to consider all possible rational roots.

3. What is the issue with the proof of Gauss' Lemma?

The issue with the proof of Gauss' Lemma is that it relies on the Fundamental Theorem of Arithmetic, which states that every positive integer can be uniquely factored into prime numbers. However, this theorem is not always applicable in other number systems, such as Gaussian integers or polynomial rings over finite fields.

4. How is the issue addressed in the proof of Gauss' Lemma?

The issue is addressed by using a modified version of the Fundamental Theorem of Arithmetic, known as the Unique Factorization Domain (UFD) theorem. This theorem applies to a wider range of number systems, including Gaussian integers and polynomial rings over finite fields.

5. Are there any other proofs of Gauss' Lemma?

Yes, there are several alternative proofs of Gauss' Lemma that do not rely on the Fundamental Theorem of Arithmetic. These include using algebraic number theory, field extensions, and the concept of unique factorization domains.