Proof of Inequality: $x^2 + xy^2 + xyz^2 \geq 4xyz - 4$

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof of the inequality $x^2 + xy^2 + xyz^2 \geq 4xyz - 4$ for positive real numbers $x,y,z$. Two different solutions are presented, both using the minimum value of certain expressions to prove the inequality. It is also mentioned that the inequality holds for all real $x,y,z$ where $0<x,y,z \leq 1$.
magneto1
Let $x,y,z$ be positive real numbers. Show that $x^2 + xy^2 + xyz^2 \geq 4xyz - 4$.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
[sp]Write the inequality as $x\Bigl(x + y\bigl(y + z(z-4)\bigr)\Bigr) \geqslant -4 \quad(*)$.

The minimum value of $z(z-4)$ is $-4$ (when $z=2$). So the left side of (*) is at least $x\bigl(x+ y(y -4)\bigr) \quad (**)$. But the minimum value of $y(y-4)$ is $-4$ (when $y=2$). So (**) is at least $x(x-4)$, which in turn is at least $-4$ (when $x=2$). This shows that (*) holds, with equality when $x=y=z=2$.[/sp]

Excellent work. Here is another solution that uses the same idea.

Note that $w^2 \geq 4w - 4$ for all positive real $w$. So,
$x^2 + xy^2 + xyz^2 \geq (4x-4)+x(4y-4)+xy(4z-4)=4xyz-4$.

Don't we need to show that the inequality holds as x,y,z approach zero? Has that been shown in the above?

It is adequate to show the inequality holds for fixed and given $x,y,z \in \mathbb{R}^+$.

magneto said:
It is adequate to show the inequality holds for fixed and given $x,y,z \in \mathbb{R}^+$.
We only needed to find a single set of values for x,y,z where the inequality holds!?

Edit:
Let z=1 then I can show that the inequality holds for an infinite number of unique tuples (x,y) where
0<x,y <= 1. The harder part is showing that it holds for all real x,y where 0<x,y,<=1.

Last edited:
My apology for using the word "fixed" -- I do not mean we pin any variables to specific values.. The proofs only assume $x,y,z > 0$, and proceed to show the inequality holds for any arbitrary $x,y,z >0$ given.

Thank you, my error, I thought that I had been able to find places where the inequality would not hold but I was wrong.

Related to Proof of Inequality: $x^2 + xy^2 + xyz^2 \geq 4xyz - 4$

What is the proof of the inequality $x^2 + xy^2 + xyz^2 \geq 4xyz - 4$?

The proof is based on the concept of algebraic manipulation and the use of the AM-GM inequality. By rearranging the terms, we can rewrite the left side of the inequality as $(x^2 + 2xyz) + (xy^2 + 2xyz) + (xyz^2 + 2xyz)$. Then, applying the AM-GM inequality to each term, we get $(x^2 + 2xyz) \geq 3x\sqrt[3]{x^2 y^2 z^2}$, $(xy^2 + 2xyz) \geq 3y\sqrt[3]{x^2 y^2 z^2}$, and $(xyz^2 + 2xyz) \geq 3z\sqrt[3]{x^2 y^2 z^2}$. Multiplying these inequalities and simplifying, we get $x^2 + xy^2 + xyz^2 \geq 4xyz\sqrt[3]{x^2 y^2 z^2}$. Since the geometric mean is always less than or equal to the arithmetic mean, we can replace $\sqrt[3]{x^2 y^2 z^2}$ with $xyz$ to obtain $x^2 + xy^2 + xyz^2 \geq 4xyz - 4$.

What is the significance of this inequality in mathematics?

This inequality is significant because it is a fundamental result in algebraic manipulation and can be used to prove other inequalities and solve various mathematical problems. It also has applications in other branches of mathematics, such as optimization and number theory.

Can this inequality be extended to higher dimensions?

Yes, this inequality can be extended to higher dimensions. In fact, the proof of this inequality is often used as a basis for proving similar inequalities in higher dimensions.

What are the conditions for this inequality to hold true?

The inequality holds true for all real numbers $x, y,$ and $z$. There are no specific conditions or restrictions on the values of $x, y,$ and $z$ for the inequality to hold.

Are there any other methods to prove this inequality?

Yes, there are other methods to prove this inequality. One method is to use the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality, also known as the Bunyakovsky inequality, which states that for any real numbers $a_1, a_2, ..., a_n$ and $b_1, b_2, ..., b_n$, we have $(a_1^2 + a_2^2 + ... + a_n^2)(b_1^2 + b_2^2 + ... + b_n^2) \geq (a_1b_1 + a_2b_2 + ... + a_nb_n)^2$. By choosing appropriate values for $a_i$ and $b_i$, we can prove the given inequality.