Proof of Limit of (Tn*Sn)=0 Using Definition

In summary, the goal of the homework is to find an N for any given epsilon such that |Sn-s| < epsilon. Once they have found an N, they can then use the multiplicative rule to show that SnTn goes to zero.
koab1mjr

Homework Statement

Let (Tn) be a bounded sequence and let (Sn) be a sequence whose limit = 0. PRove that the limit of (Tn*Sn) = 0. I must complete the proof using only the definition of a limit of a sequence

Homework Equations

Let Sn be a sequence from N->R with a limit of s
For all epsilon > 0 there exists an n > N, such that |Sn - s| < epsion
The suprenum of a sequence is the least upper bound

The Attempt at a Solution

I am used to the numerical proofs showing limits I am not comfortable with manipulating these more abstract ones. I cannot solve for N so I am stuck but here is what I am working off of...

Since Tn is a bounded sequence, by the completeness axiom of R I know that a suprenum exisit and I call it U

Since Sn is a sequence that converges I know for epsilon > 0 there exist an n > N(For s) such that |Sn|< epsilon

I need to show that there is an N for any epsilon that implies |Sn*Tn - 0*U| < epsilon

I was debating proving that the Tn limit is the sup T then provoing the multiplaction of limits rule but that does not sound right there should be a direct method I need some hints on how to start this proof many thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You cannot use that "Tn limit is the sup T then proving the multiplaction of limits rule" because you do not know that Tn has a limit. All you know about Tn is that it is bounded. For example, Tn= (-1)n is bounded but does not converge.

Since Tn is bounded, let M be an upper bound for |Tn|. Now you know that [itex]-MS_n\le T_nS_n\le MS_n[/itex]. Combine that with the fact that Sn converges to 0.

Thanks Halls for the response

Just so I got to close up the proof. I can say for a large N per the hypothesis Sn goes to zero so
MSn and -MSn go to zero.
It follows that SnTn goes to zero
and since epsilon > 0 MSn < epsilon.
am I done or is it more involved?

Am I right in saying for these more abstract sequence that you cannot really prove via the definition of a limit of a sequence. The goal is to show that something is less for any given epsilon?

FAQ: Proof of Limit of (Tn*Sn)=0 Using Definition

1. What is the definition of a limit in mathematics?

A limit in mathematics is a concept that describes the behavior of a function as its input values approach a certain value or point. It is used to determine the value that a function approaches as its input values get closer and closer to the specified point.

2. How is the limit of a product of two sequences calculated?

The limit of a product of two sequences, in this case (Tn*Sn), is calculated by taking the limit of each individual sequence and multiplying them together. This is known as the product rule for limits.

3. What is the proof of the limit of (Tn*Sn)=0 using definition?

The proof involves using the definition of a limit to show that for any given positive number, there exists a positive integer N such that for all n > N, the absolute value of (Tn*Sn) is less than the given positive number. This demonstrates that the limit of (Tn*Sn) is equal to 0, as the product approaches 0 as n approaches infinity.

4. Why is the limit of (Tn*Sn) equal to 0?

The limit is equal to 0 because as n approaches infinity, the absolute values of both Tn and Sn become increasingly smaller. This means that the product of the two sequences approaches 0, making the limit of (Tn*Sn) equal to 0.

5. What is the significance of proving the limit of (Tn*Sn)=0 using definition?

Proving this limit using definition is significant because it allows us to understand and analyze the behavior of a product of two sequences as their input values approach infinity. It also helps to establish the relationship between the two sequences and how their product behaves as n approaches infinity.