Proof of relationship between Hamiltonian and Energy

In summary: Any help or ideas on this would be much appreciated.In summary, the relationship between the average force exerted by a particle in an infinitely deep potential well on the right "wall" and the Hamiltonian is described by the following equation:
andre220

Homework Statement

Prove the relationship
$$\left(\frac{\partial H}{\partial\lambda}\right)_{nn} = \frac{\partial E_{nn}}{\partial\lambda},$$
where ##\lambda## is a parameter in the Hamiltonian. Using this relationship, show that the average force exerted by a particle in an infinitely deep potential well ##(0\le x\le a)##, on the right "wall" can be written as $$\langle F_\textrm{right}\rangle_n = \frac{\partial E_n}{\partial a},$$ where ##n## is the energy level. Calculate the force and compare it with the classical expression.

Homework Equations

For the first part: ##\hat{H}_\lambda|\psi_\lambda\rangle = E_\lambda|\psi_\lambda\rangle##

##\langle \psi_\lambda|\psi_\lambda\rangle = 1##
##\frac{d}{d\lambda}\langle \psi_\lambda|\psi_\lambda\rangle = 0##

For the well: ##E_n = \frac{n^2\pi^2\hbar^2}{2ma^2}##

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay so here is what I am thinking for the first part:

$$\begin{eqnarray}
\frac{d E_\lambda}{d\lambda} & = & \frac{d}{d\lambda}\langle\psi_\lambda|\hat{H}_\lambda|\psi_\lambda\rangle \\
& = & \langle \frac{d\psi_\lambda}{d\lambda}|\hat{H}_\lambda|\psi_\lambda\rangle + \langle\psi_\lambda |\hat{H}_\lambda|\frac{d\psi_\lambda}{d\lambda}\rangle + \langle\psi_\lambda|\frac{d\hat{H}_\lambda}{d\lambda}|\psi_\lambda\rangle \\
& = & E_\lambda \langle\frac{d\psi_\lambda}{d\lambda}|\psi_\lambda\rangle + E_\lambda\langle\psi_\lambda|\frac{d\psi_\lambda}{d\lambda}\rangle + \langle\psi_\lambda|\frac{d\hat{H}_\lambda}{d\lambda}|\psi_\lambda\rangle\\
& = & \langle \psi_\lambda |\frac{d\hat{H}_\lambda}{d\lambda}|\psi_\lambda\rangle
\end{eqnarray}$$

I am not sure if this is the correct direction to go but I figured it was worth a try. Any help or comments are appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, your approach looks reasonable and will lead you correct. One small note on notation: I would write
$$
\frac{d\left| \psi\right>}{d\lambda}
$$
instead of
$$
\left|\frac{d\psi}{d\lambda}\right>.
$$

Okay thank you for your reply. Now for the second part I have
$$\frac{\partial E_n}{\partial a} = -\frac{n^2\pi^2\hbar^2}{m a^3}$$. Now I need the average force on the right "wall", and my thought to get that is using ##-\vec{\nabla} U##, then
$$\begin{eqnarray}
\langle F_\textrm{right}\rangle &= & - \int \psi_\lambda^*\vec{\nabla}\psi_\lambda\,dq\\
& = & -\int\psi_\lambda^* \frac{dU}{dx}\psi_\lambda\, dx
\end{eqnarray}$$
So my thought here is to just use the wavefunction for the infinitely deep potential well and more less plug-and-chug, but I could see some problems with that. However, I suppose in some sense this method is using the knowledge from part a.

Related to Proof of relationship between Hamiltonian and Energy

1. What is the Hamiltonian?

The Hamiltonian is a mathematical quantity in classical mechanics that represents the total energy of a system. It is often denoted by the symbol H and is a function of the system's position and momentum variables.

2. What is energy in relation to the Hamiltonian?

In Hamiltonian mechanics, energy is defined as the time derivative of the Hamiltonian with respect to time. In other words, the Hamiltonian represents the total energy of a system at a particular instant in time.

3. How are the Hamiltonian and energy related?

The Hamiltonian and energy are closely related in that the Hamiltonian represents the total energy of a system, and the energy is the time derivative of the Hamiltonian. This means that the Hamiltonian and energy share the same mathematical form and are essentially different ways of expressing the same concept.

4. What is the physical significance of the Hamiltonian?

The Hamiltonian has a physical significance in that it represents the total energy of a system, including both kinetic and potential energy. It is also used to describe the dynamics of a system and can be used to predict the future behavior of a system.

5. How is the Hamiltonian used in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, the Hamiltonian is used to represent the total energy of a quantum system. It is an operator that acts on the wave function of a system, and its eigenvalues correspond to the possible energy states of the system. The Hamiltonian is an essential tool in solving the Schrödinger equation, which describes the time evolution of a quantum system.