Proof of Saddle Roof at (0,0) for f(x,y)=(y-3x^2)(y-x^2)

In summary, the function f(x,y)=(y-3x^2)(y-x^2) has a critical point at (0,0) with a determinant of the partial derivatives of second order equal to 0. This means that the nature of the critical point cannot be determined. However, by analyzing the signs of the two factors (y-x^2) and (y-3x^2), it can be seen that there are paths through (0,0) where f(x,y) achieves a maximum and a minimum. Further analysis is needed to prove that the critical point is in fact a saddle point.
Telemachus
Hi there. I've got this function [tex]f(x,y)=(y-3x^2)(y-x^2)[/tex], and I have to analyze what happens at [tex](0,0)[/tex] in terms of maxims and minims. But what I actually have to proof is that there's a saddle roof at that point.

Theres is a critical point at [tex](0,0)[/tex]. Let's see:

[tex]f(x,y)=(y-3x^2)(y-x^2)=y^2-4yx^2+3x^4[/tex]

[tex]f_x=-8yx+12x^3[/tex]
[tex]f_y=2y-4x^2[/tex]
Its clear there that there is a critical point at [tex](0,0)[/tex]

The determinant of the partial derivatives of second order at [tex](0,0)[/tex]
[tex]f_{xx}=-8y+36x^2[/tex],
[tex]f_{xy}=-8x=f_{yx}[/tex],
[tex]f_{yy}=2[/tex]

[tex]f_{xx}(0,0)=0[/tex]

[tex]\left| \begin{array}{ccc}0 \ 0 \\ 0 \ 2 \\ \end{array} \right| =0[/tex]

Then I can't say anything from there. And actually, if I try at any line that passes through [tex](0,0)[/tex] I would find a minimum. I know that it isn't a minimum, but I don't know how to prove it.

Bye there.

Physics news on Phys.org
In the xy plane draw the two curves y = x2 and y = 3x2. These two curves give the points in the domain where f(x,y) = 0. Everywhere else in the plane f(x,y) isn't zero and its sign depends on the signs of the two factors

(y -x2)(y-3x2)

So make a note in the plane where the product of those two factors is positive or negative. See if you can see a path through (0,0) where f achieves a max and another where it achieves a min.

Thank you very much :)

FAQ: Proof of Saddle Roof at (0,0) for f(x,y)=(y-3x^2)(y-x^2)

1. What is a saddle roof?

A saddle roof is a type of roof that has two slopes that meet at a central ridge, resembling the shape of a saddle. It is commonly used in architecture and engineering for its stability and aesthetic appeal.

2. How is a saddle roof related to mathematics?

A saddle roof can also be represented mathematically as a saddle point. In mathematics, a saddle point is a point on a surface where the slopes in different directions are both positive and negative, resembling the shape of a saddle.

3. How do you determine if a function has a saddle roof at a given point?

In order to determine if a function has a saddle roof at a given point, we need to calculate the partial derivatives of the function with respect to both x and y. If the product of these derivatives is negative, then the point is a saddle point and the function has a saddle roof at that point.

4. What is the proof of saddle roof at (0,0) for f(x,y)=(y-3x^2)(y-x^2)?

The proof involves calculating the partial derivatives of the function f(x,y) with respect to both x and y, which are -6x and 2y-x, respectively. At the point (0,0), the product of these derivatives is 0*(-2), which is negative. Therefore, we can conclude that the function f(x,y)=(y-3x^2)(y-x^2) has a saddle roof at the point (0,0).

5. What are some real-life applications of saddle roofs?

Saddle roofs are commonly used in architecture and engineering for their stability and aesthetic appeal. They can be seen in various structures such as homes, barns, and commercial buildings. Saddle roofs are also used in the design of bridges and other large structures to distribute weight and provide stability.

Back