Proof of Schwarz Inequality: Axioms & Complex Numbers

• Thread starter Rasalhague
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inequality
In summary, the couple of proofs that I've seen of the Schwarz inequality begin with statements to the effect that it's trivially true when u or v = 0. How so? In the Bowen and Wang introduction to vectors and tensors, the inequality is said to be true for any inner product space, defined as a vector space (V,F,s), where V is an additive abelian group over a set of vectors, F a field, and s the function of scalar multiplication relating V and F, along with a function f : V \rightarrow Fcalled the inner product, defined by the following axioms: (1)\; f\left(\mathbf
Rasalhague
The couple of proofs that I've seen of Schwarz's inequality

[tex]\left|\mathbf{u} \cdot \mathbf{v} \right| \leq ||\mathbf{u}|| \: ||\mathbf{v}||[/tex]

both begin with statements to the effect that it's trivially true when u or v = 0. How so? In Bowen and Wang's Introduction to Vectors and Tensors, the inequality is said to be true for any inner product space, defined as a vector space (V,F,s), where V is an additive abelian group over a set of vectors, F a field, and s the function of scalar multiplication relating V and F, along with a function

[tex]f : V \rightarrow F[/tex]

called the inner product, defined by the following axioms:

[tex](1)\; f\left(\mathbf{u},\mathbf{v} \right) = \overline{ f\left(\mathbf{v},\mathbf{u} \right) }[/tex]

[tex](2)\; \lambda f\left(\mathbf{u},\mathbf{v} \right) = f\left(\lambda \mathbf{u},\mathbf{v} \right)[/tex]

[tex](3)\; f\left(\mathbf{u_{1}} + \mathbf{u_{2}},\mathbf{v} \right) = f\left(\mathbf{u_{1}},\mathbf{v} \right) + f\left(\mathbf{u_{2}},\mathbf{v} \right)[/tex]

[tex](4)\; f\left(\mathbf{u},\mathbf{u} \right) \geq 0 \; and \; f(\mathbf{u},\mathbf{u}) = 0 \Leftrightarrow \mathbf{u} = \mathbf{0}[/tex]

They give an example of the vector space [tex]\mathbb{C}^{n}[/tex], where elements of V are n-tuples of complex numbers. (Is n-tuple synonymous with "ordered n-tuple"?) And they defined an inner product for this space:

[tex]\mathbf{u} \cdot \mathbf{v} = \sum_{i=1}^{n} u_{i} \overline{v}_{i}[/tex]

No doubt the Schwarz inequality is true for such an inner product space when u or v = 0, since it just comes down to multiplication of complex numbers, but I don't know where to begin showing that it must be true generally for any inner product space as defined by those four axioms. Since the bar in the first axiom denotes the complex conjugate, presumable the field has to be the complex numbers, a subfield thereof, or something analogous? In that case, I can see that the right-hand side of the Schwarz inequality must equal 0. The left-hand sight must be positive, since it's the modulus of a complex number, so this trivial part of the proof amounts to showing that [tex]\left|\mathbf{u} \cdot \mathbf{v} \right|[/tex] = 0 if u or v = 0. Does it depend somehow on the first axiom?

[tex]f\left( \mathbf{0},\mathbf{v} \right) \; \overline{ f\left( \mathbf{0},\mathbf{v} \right)} = f\left( \mathbf{v},\mathbf{0} \right) \overline{ f\left( \mathbf{v},\mathbf{0} \right)}[/tex]

And then does it follow from some property of complex numbers, some basic algebra, or from something in the definition of a function, or something to do with the linearity of the dot product operation? It certainly feels as if it ought to be 0, but how to prove it only with these axioms. I'm new to the subject, and what may be trivial to the authors just isn't jumping out at me yet.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm guessing your issue is with the LHS. Hint:
[tex]
\mathbf{0} = 0 \mathbf{0}
[/tex]

and use the axioms you have to show
[tex]
f(\mathbf{0},\mathbf{w})=0.
[/tex]

jasonRF said:
I'm guessing your issue is with the LHS. Hint:
[tex]
\mathbf{0} = 0 \mathbf{0}
[/tex]

and use the axioms you have to show
[tex]
f(\mathbf{0},\mathbf{w})=0.
[/tex]

Ooh, thanks, I think I've got it now! By Axiom 2 of the inner product space,

[tex]\mathbf{0} \cdot \mathbf{v} = 0 \left(\mathbf{0} \cdot \mathbf{v}\right) = 0[/tex]

and by Axioms 1 and 2,

[tex]\mathbf{v} \cdot \mathbf{0} = \overline{ \mathbf{0} \cdot \mathbf{v}} = \overline{ 0 \left(\mathbf{0} \cdot \mathbf{v}\right)} = 0 \overline{ \left(\mathbf{0} \cdot \mathbf{v}\right)} = 0[/tex]

because, by the distributive properties of a field,

[tex]0a = \left(b-b \right)a = ba - ba = 0[/tex]
[tex]a0 = a \left(b-b \right) = ab - ab = 0[/tex]

So, moving on to the actual proof, for the case where neither u nor v = 0, Bowen and Wang proceed by asking us to consider the vector

[tex](\mathbf{u\cdot \mathbf{v}})\mathbf{v} - (\mathbf{v}\cdot \mathbf{u})\mathbf{u}[/tex]

and employ Axiom 4, "which requires that every vector have a nonzero length, hence"

[tex]\left ( \left \| \mathbf{u}^{2} \right \| \left \| \mathbf{v}^{2} \right \| - (\mathbf{u\cdot v})( \overline{\mathbf{u\cdot v}})\right )\left \| \mathbf{u}^{2} \right \|\geq 0[/tex]

I can see how this inequality would imply the Schwarz inequality, but how is it established? Employing Axiom 4 tells me that the product of the squared lengths of u and v is positive, as is the complex norm of the inner product of these two vectors. Subtracting the latter from the former is therefore to subtract one positive real number from another. But the result of such an operation isn’t necessarily positive, is it? And if the result wasn’t positive, the inequality wouldn’t hold. So what am I not taking into account? Of course, if the Schwarz inequality was true, this inequality would have to be true too, but it’s the Schwarz inequality that this is meant to be a proof of.

Your book may have a typo (and it may not!). There are many ways to prove the Schwartz inequality, but to use the same basic approach as the book try looking at
[tex]
f(a\mathbf{u} + b\mathbf{v}, a\mathbf{u} + b\mathbf{v})
[/tex]
and make a clever choice for [tex]a[/tex] and [tex]b[/tex].

There's a typo. You should consider

[tex]\mathbf{x} = \left\langle\mathbf{u} ,\mathbf{\color{red}{u}}}\right\rangle\mathbf{v} - \left\langle\mathbf{v} , \mathbf{u}\right\rangle\mathbf{u}[/tex]​

and the fact that [itex]\left\langle\mathbf{x} , \mathbf{x}\right\rangle \geq 0[/itex].

Last edited:
Thanks to you both! I reckon I've got it at last - phew. The typo was my mistake. The book had it right.

Let x = [tex]\left(\mathbf{u \cdot u} \right) \mathbf{v} - \left(\mathbf{v \cdot u} \right) \mathbf{u}[/tex].

[tex]\mathbf{x \cdot x} \geq 0[/tex]

[tex]\mathbf{x \cdot x} = \left[ \left(\mathbf{u \cdot u} \right) \mathbf{v} - \left(\mathbf{v \cdot u} \right) \mathbf{u} \right] \mathbf{ \cdot x}[/tex]

[tex]= \left(\mathbf{u \cdot u} \right) \mathbf{v \cdot x} - \left(\mathbf{v \cdot u} \right) \mathbf{u \cdot x}[/tex]

[tex]= ||\mathbf{u}^{2}|| \; \left( \mathbf{v \cdot x}\right) - \left(\mathbf{v \cdot u} \right) \left( \mathbf{u \cdot x} \right)[/tex]

[tex]= ||\mathbf{u}^{2}|| \; \overline{\mathbf{x \cdot v}} - \left(\mathbf{v \cdot u} \right) \overline{ \mathbf{x \cdot u}}[/tex]

[tex]= ||\mathbf{u}^{2}|| \; \left[ \overline{||\mathbf{u}||^{2} \; ||\mathbf{v}||^{2} - \left(\mathbf{v \cdot u} \right) \left(\mathbf{u \cdot v} \right)}\right] - \left(\mathbf{v \cdot u} \right) \left[ \overline{||\mathbf{u}||^{2}\left(\mathbf{v \cdot u} \right) - ||\mathbf{u}||^{2}\left(\mathbf{v \cdot u} \right)}\right][/tex]

[tex]= ||\mathbf{u}||^{2}\left(||\mathbf{u}||^{2} \; ||\mathbf{v}||^{2} - |\mathbf{u \cdot v}|^{2}\right) \geq 0[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow ||\mathbf{u}||^{2} \; ||\mathbf{v}||^{2} - |\mathbf{u \cdot v}|^{2} \geq 0[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow ||\mathbf{u}||^{2} \; ||\mathbf{v}||^{2} \geq |\mathbf{u \cdot v}|^{2}[/tex]

Huzzah!

Related to Proof of Schwarz Inequality: Axioms & Complex Numbers

1. What is the Schwarz Inequality?

The Schwarz Inequality, also known as the Cauchy-Schwarz Inequality, is a mathematical statement that relates to the dot product of vectors in a vector space. It states that the absolute value of the dot product of two vectors is less than or equal to the product of their magnitudes.

2. What are the axioms of the Schwarz Inequality?

The axioms of the Schwarz Inequality are symmetry, positive homogeneity, and the triangle inequality. Symmetry states that the order of the vectors in the dot product does not matter. Positive homogeneity states that multiplying a vector by a constant also multiplies the dot product by that constant. The triangle inequality states that the sum of the magnitudes of two vectors is greater than or equal to the magnitude of their sum.

3. How is the Schwarz Inequality used in complex numbers?

The Schwarz Inequality can be used in complex numbers to prove that the absolute value of the dot product of two complex numbers is less than or equal to the product of their magnitudes. This is known as the Cauchy-Schwarz Inequality for complex numbers and is often used in the study of complex analysis.

4. What is the significance of the Schwarz Inequality?

The Schwarz Inequality has many important applications in mathematics and physics. It is used in optimization problems, functional analysis, and the study of inequalities. It is also a key tool in proving other theorems and inequalities in mathematics.

5. Are there any generalizations of the Schwarz Inequality?

Yes, there are many generalizations of the Schwarz Inequality for various mathematical structures such as matrices, inner product spaces, and norms. These generalizations extend the concept of the original inequality to different contexts and have important applications in different areas of mathematics.