Proof of Subspace and Basis Relationship in R^n - Homework Help"

In summary, if B is a basis for U and U is a subspace of R^n, then B is a linearly independent spanning set of U and all of the elements of B are in U.
simmonj7

Homework Statement

Prove or disprove this with counter example:
Let U,V be subspaces of R^n and let B = {v1, v2,...,vr} be a basis of U. If B is a subset of V, then U is a subset of V.

Homework Equations

U and V are subspaces so
1. zero vector is contained in them
2. u1 + u2 is in U and v1 + v2 is in V when u1 and u2 are already in U and v1 and v2 are in V
3. au1 is in U and av1 is in V when a is in R

The Attempt at a Solution

Since B is a basis of U, B is a linearly independent spanning set of U and all of the elements of B are in U.

Since B is a subset of V, all of the elements of B are in V.

However this does no guarantee that all the elements of U are in V...Correct?

Well assuming that that is correct, I am having the hardest time finding a counter example.

At first I was just taking a set of vectors and calling that U. Finding the basis of that set of vectors and calling it B. And then creating another random set of vectors that contained the elements that were in B but left out the ones in U. But then I realized that U and V are subspaces so I got lost.

Physics news on Phys.org

I don't think your assumption here is correct
simmonj7 said:
However this does no guarantee that all the elements of U are in V...Correct?

Could you elaborate a little more or hint to how that isn't true then...

Take an arbitrary vector in U and express it in terms of basis B. Go from there.

Are you trying to say this:

Say B = {v1,v2,...,vp} is the basis for U where U is a subspace of R^n. Then if x is in U then x can be represented unique in the terms of the basis B. Meaning that there are unique scalars a1, a2,...,ap such that x = a1v1 + a2v2 +...+ apvp

And since V is a subspace, the properties av1 is in V and v1 + v2 is in V applies. So since B is in V, and U can be expressed in terms of B, then U is in V...?

Well, I wasn't trying to say anything. I was trying to get you figure it out. :)

You should fill in some blanks when writing the actual proof, though. You have x=a1 v1+a2 v2+...+an vn, and because the v's are in V and V is a subspace, you can conclude that x is in V. So what you've shown is that [itex]x \in U[/itex] implies [itex]x \in V[/itex]. By definition, this means that U is a subset of V.

Thank you so much! :)

FAQ: Proof of Subspace and Basis Relationship in R^n - Homework Help"

What is the definition of a subspace in R^n?

A subspace in R^n is a subset of the vector space R^n that satisfies three properties: closure under addition, closure under scalar multiplication, and contains the zero vector. In other words, a subspace is a set of vectors that can be added and multiplied by scalars and still remain within the same vector space.

What is the relationship between a subspace and a basis in R^n?

The basis of a subspace in R^n is a set of linearly independent vectors that span the subspace. This means that any vector in the subspace can be written as a linear combination of the basis vectors. In other words, the basis provides a set of "building blocks" for the subspace.

How do you prove that a set of vectors is a basis for a subspace in R^n?

To prove that a set of vectors is a basis for a subspace in R^n, you must show that the set is linearly independent and spans the subspace. This can be done by showing that the vectors can be written as a linear combination of each other and that the coefficients in this linear combination are unique.

What is the significance of the dimension of a subspace in R^n?

The dimension of a subspace in R^n represents the minimum number of linearly independent vectors needed to span the subspace. It is also equal to the number of vectors in a basis for the subspace. The dimension of a subspace can range from 0 to n, where n is the dimension of the vector space R^n.

How can understanding the proof of subspace and basis relationship in R^n be helpful in solving problems?

Understanding the proof of subspace and basis relationship in R^n can be helpful in solving problems because it allows you to determine if a set of vectors is a basis for a subspace. This can help in finding a basis for a subspace, which can then be used to solve problems involving linear combinations and transformations in R^n.

Back