Proof of trig identity (difficult)

I think it is a better STRATEGY to convert into sines and cosines. Since they are the easiest to work around with aren't they?Sines and cosines are probably the functions most people work with most often, so they have the advantage of familiarity, which can make it easier to spot what to do next when simplifying a complicated expression. This is just a general observation, I'm sure there are exceptions when working directly with tangents or secants or whatever can seem more natural. After you learn about complex exponentials, sometimes they can be even easier to work with than sines and cosines.This expression was part of the integralINT[ln(x + 1)/x^2 + 1] 0
Amad27

Homework Statement

Prove that

[tan(a) + 1][cot(a+pi/4) + 1] = 2

Homework Equations

[tan(a) + 1][cot(a+pi/4) + 1] = 2

The Attempt at a Solution

This was very hard, I tried my best at expanding.

[tan(a) + 1][cot(a+pi/4) + 1] = tan(a)cot(a+pi/4) + tan(a) + cot(a+pi/4) + 1

The issue is that there is no cofuntion identity for cot(a + pi/4) so I did

cot(a + pi/4) = cot([a - pi/4] + pi/2]) Let b = a - pi/4 thus,

cot(b + pi/2) = -tan(b) = -tan(a - pi/4)

This doesn't help AT ALL.

Any help?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
ehild said:
Do you know the addition rule for tangent?
[tex]\tan(\alpha+\beta)=\frac{\tan(\alpha)+\tan(\beta)}{1-tan(\alpha)\tan(\beta)}[/tex]
and the cotangent is reciprocal of tangent.

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/TrigonometricAdditionFormulas.html

ehild

Can't believe I didnt think of that, so

cot(a + b) = 1-tan(a)tan(b)/tan(a)+tan(b)

cot(a + pi/4) = [1-tan(a)]/[tan(a)+1]

= [tan(a)][1-tan(a)]/[tan(a)+1] + tan(a) + [1-tan(a)]/[tan(a)+1] + 1

= [1-tan(a)]/[tan(a)+1][ [tan(a)] + 1] + [tan(a) + 1]

= [tan(a) +1][ [1-tan(a)]/[tan(a)+1] + 1]

One thing that could help is finding

[1-tan(a)]/[tan(a)+1]. But what is a possible way to do so?

WolframAlpha gives a very complicated formula involving sines and cosines.

One "good" formula it gives is,

[1-tan(a)]/[tan(a)+1] = 2/[tan(a) +1] - 1

But how is this result derived?

= [tan(a) +1][ 2/[tan(a) +1]] = 2

This works, but how do you derive that?

[1-tan(a)]/[tan(a)+1] = 1/[tan(a) +1] - tan(a)/[tan(a) +1]

1/[tan(a) +1] = 1/[sin/cos + 1] = 1/[ [sin(a) + cos(a)]/cos(a)] = cos(a)/[sin(a) + cos(a)]

tan(a)/[tan(a) +1] = [itex]\frac{sin(a)/cos(a)}{[sin(a) + cos(a)]/cos(a)]}[/itex]

= [itex]\frac{sin(a)}{cos(a)+sin(a)}[/itex]

1/[tan(a) +1] - tan(a)/[tan(a) +1] = [itex]\frac{cos(a)-sin(a)}{sin(a)+cos(a)}[/itex]

Thats as far as I can go, any advice?

I just worked out a solution. This problem is quite straightforward if you express ##\tan## and ##\cot## in terms of ##\sin## and ##\cos##. You will want to use the appropriate trig identity to simplify the resulting ##\cos(a + \pi/4)## and ##\sin(a + \pi/4)##.

jbunniii said:
I just worked out a solution. This problem is quite straightforward if you express ##\tan## and ##\cot## in terms of ##\sin## and ##\cos##. You will want to use the appropriate trig identity to simplify the resulting ##\cos(a + \pi/4)## and ##\sin(a + \pi/4)##.

sin(x + pi/4) = sin(x)sqrt(2)/2 + cos(x)sqrt(2)/2
cos(x + pi/4) = cos(x)sqrt(2)/2 - sin(x)sqrt(2)/2

We originally had,

cot(a + pi/4) = sqrt(2)/2[cos(x) - sin(x)]/sqrt(2)/2[sin(x) + cos(x)] = [cos(x) - sin(x)/[sin(x) +cos(x)]

What now?

How about this method?

Let b = a + pi/4.

##(tan(a) + 1)(cot(b) + 1) = 2##

Multiply by tan(b):

##(tan(a) + 1)(1 + tan(b)) = 2 \; tan(b)##

Likes 1 person
Amad27 said:
sin(x + pi/4) = sin(x)sqrt(2)/2 + cos(x)sqrt(2)/2
cos(x + pi/4) = cos(x)sqrt(2)/2 - sin(x)sqrt(2)/2

We originally had,

cot(a + pi/4) = sqrt(2)/2[cos(x) - sin(x)]/sqrt(2)/2[sin(x) + cos(x)] = [cos(x) - sin(x)/[sin(x) +cos(x)]

What now?
OK, so:
$$\begin{align}
\left[\tan(a) + 1\right]\left[\cot(a+\pi/4) + 1\right] &= \left[\frac{\sin(a)}{\cos(a)} + 1\right]\left[\frac{\cos(a) - \sin(a)}{\cos(a) + \sin(a)} + 1\right] \\
&= \frac{1}{\cos(a)}\left[\sin(a) + \cos(a)\right]\left[\frac{\cos(a) - \sin(a)}{\cos(a) + \sin(a)} + 1\right] \\
&= ? \\
\end{align}$$

Likes 1 person
jbunniii said:
OK, so:
$$\begin{align}
\left[\tan(a) + 1\right]\left[\cot(a+\pi/4) + 1\right] &= \left[\frac{\sin(a)}{\cos(a)} + 1\right]\left[\frac{\cos(a) - \sin(a)}{\cos(a) + \sin(a)} + 1\right] \\
&= \frac{1}{\cos(a)}\left[\sin(a) + \cos(a)\right]\left[\frac{\cos(a) - \sin(a)}{\cos(a) + \sin(a)} + 1\right] \\
&= ? \\
\end{align}$$

Thanks, I got it

The [sin(a) + cos(a)] cancel out, leaving you with

[1/cos(a)] * [2cos(a)/1] = 2

THANKS

Amad27 said:
Thanks, I got it

The [sin(a) + cos(a)] cancel out, leaving you with

[1/cos(a)] * [2cos(a)/1] = 2

THANKS
Right. I'm sure the other suggested methods working directly with ##\tan## and ##\cot## will also work, but I only memorize the trig identities involving ##\sin## and ##\cos##, so converting to them is usually my first step. :-p

Likes 1 person
jbunniii said:
Right. I'm sure the other suggested methods working directly with ##\tan## and ##\cot## will also work, but I only memorize the trig identities involving ##\sin## and ##\cos##, so converting to them is usually my first step. :-p

I think it is a better STRATEGY to convert into sines and cosines. Since they are the easiest to work around with aren't they?

This expression was part of the integral

INT[ln(x + 1)/x^2 + 1] 0 --> 1

I used trig substitution so I needed this, PM or something if you are interested in seeing the solution or want to CHECK the solution.

THe only reason I posted this question in the Pre-Calculus section is because it is pre-calculus work, otherwise this was FOR calculus =)

Thanks a lot, your tipis were VERY helpful.

Amad27 said:
I think it is a better STRATEGY to convert into sines and cosines. Since they are the easiest to work around with aren't they?
Sines and cosines are probably the functions most people work with most often, so they have the advantage of familiarity, which can make it easier to spot what to do next when simplifying a complicated expression. This is just a general observation, I'm sure there are exceptions when working directly with tangents or secants or whatever can seem more natural. After you learn about complex exponentials, sometimes they can be even easier to work with than sines and cosines.

I used trig substitution so I needed this, PM or something if you are interested in seeing the solution or want to CHECK the solution.
I'll be happy to check your solution to the calculus problem if you want to post it. I think it would be fine to continue using this thread even though it's in the precalculus section, since it's all in the context of the same problem. But it would also be fine to create a new thread in the calculus section if you prefer.

Amad27 said:
Can't believe I didnt think of that, so

cot(a + b) = 1-tan(a)tan(b)/tan(a)+tan(b)

Do not expand, substitute cot(a+pi/4)=(1-tan(a))/(1+tan(a)) instead.

##(\tan(a)+1)\left(\cot(a+\pi/4)+1\right) \rightarrow (\tan(a)+1)\left(\frac{1-\tan(a)}
{1+\tan(a)}+1\right)##

Expand and simplify by tan(a)+1:

##(1-\tan(a))+(1+\tan(a))##...equal to ? :-p

ehild

Likes 1 person
ehild said:
Do not expand, substitute cot(a+pi/4)=(1-tan(a))/(1+tan(a)) instead.

##(\tan(a)+1)\left(\cot(a+\pi/4)+1\right) \rightarrow (\tan(a)+1)\left(\frac{1-\tan(a)}
{1+\tan(a)}+1\right)##

Expand and simplify by tan(a)+1:

##(1-\tan(a))+(1+\tan(a))##...equal to ? :-p

ehild

That is a very interesting approach. Okay, let's see,

[tan(a) +1][2/tan(a) +1] = 2

Very nice, I must say. One of best approaches, it was very quick. Thanks =)

jbunniii said:
Sines and cosines are probably the functions most people work with most often, so they have the advantage of familiarity, which can make it easier to spot what to do next when simplifying a complicated expression. This is just a general observation, I'm sure there are exceptions when working directly with tangents or secants or whatever can seem more natural. After you learn about complex exponentials, sometimes they can be even easier to work with than sines and cosines.

I'll be happy to check your solution to the calculus problem if you want to post it. I think it would be fine to continue using this thread even though it's in the precalculus section, since it's all in the context of the same problem. But it would also be fine to create a new thread in the calculus section if you prefer.

Hi, Okay I'll post it here, I just noticed an error in my method, can you see to it? Please?Okay, so we have INT[ln(x+1)/x^2+1] 0 --> 1

Next I drew a right triangle,

| \
1| \
| a \ [where "a" is the angle]
|------------
x

cot(a) = x

Now I think the problem arrives, I drew another triangle

| \
x| \
|------------

tan(a) = x

The question here is,

I just realized that I CANT use the same angle "a" so the whole approach gets messed up! Advice?

Thanks

**Please don't mind the weird lines drawn in the triangle, there was a formatting issue.

Last edited:
Amad27 said:
That is a very interesting approach. Okay, let's see,

[tan(a) +1][2/tan(a) +1] = 2

Your equation is wrong.

[tan(a) +1][2/tan(a) +1] = 2+2/tan(a)+tan(a)+1. Do not forget the parentheses!

ehild

Amad27 said:

What is the integral exactly? Is it as you wrote without enough parentheses
[tex]\int_0^1\left(\frac{\ln(x+1)}{x^2}+1\right)dx[/tex]
or is it
[tex]\int_0^1\frac{\ln(x+1)}{x^2+1}dx[/tex]

ehild

ehild said:
What is the integral exactly? Is it as you wrote without enough parentheses
[tex]\int_0^1\left(\frac{\ln(x+1)}{x^2}+1\right)dx[/tex]
or is it
[tex]\int_0^1\frac{\ln(x+1)}{x^2+1}dx[/tex]

ehild

Hi there,

It is [tex]\int_0^1\frac{\ln(x+1)}{x^2+1}dx[/tex]

ehild said:
Your equation is wrong.

[tan(a) +1][2/tan(a) +1] = 2+2/tan(a)+tan(a)+1. Do not forget the parentheses!

ehild

WAIT! How?

[tan(a) + 1][[1-tan(a)]/[tan(a)+1] + (1)]

[[1-tan(a)]/[tan(a)+1] + (1)] = [1-tan(a)]/[tan(a) +1] + [tan(a) + 1]/[tan(a) + 1]

= 2/[tan(a) + 1] and then

[tan(a) + 1][[1-tan(a)]/[tan(a)+1] + (1)] = [tan(a) + 1][1/[tan(a) +1]][2] = 2

The tangent +1 cancels.

mmm.. I can't do LaTex, can you write

[tan(a) +1][2/tan(a) +1] in LaTex?

It is very hard to see where you mean [2/tan(a)] + 1 or 2/[tan(a) +1] ??

Thanks

Amad27 said:
mmm.. I can't do LaTex, can you write

You just write
Code:
[itex][\tan(a) +1][2/\tan(a) +1][/itex]

which gives you: [itex][\tan(a) +1][2/\tan(a) +1][/itex].

Or better yet:

You just write
Code:
[itex]\left[\tan(a) +1\right] \left[\dfrac{2}{\tan(a)} +1 \right][/itex]
which typesets the "display" fraction and auto-sizes the square brackets: ##\left[\tan(a) +1\right] \left[\dfrac{2}{\tan(a)} +1 \right]##.

Amad27 said:

It is very hard to see where you mean [2/tan(a)] + 1 or 2/[tan(a) +1] ??

Thanks

You need to use parentheses/brackets where multiplication/division and sum are involved. Multiplication/division comes first. Addition/subtraction later.
So 2/tan(a)+1 corresponds to ##\frac {2}{\tan(a)}+1## instead of ##\frac {2}{\tan(a)+1}##

You can write Maths formulae easily with Physicsforum's TeX:
https://www.physicsforums.com/misc/howtolatex.pdf
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=8997

ehild

Amad27 said:
Okay, so we have INT[ln(x+1)/x^2+1] 0 --> 1

Next I drew a right triangle,

| \
1| \
|------------
x

cot(a) = x

Now I think the problem arrives, I drew another triangle

| \
x| \
|------------

tan(a) = x

The question here is,

I just realized that I CANT use the same angle "a" so the whole approach gets messed up! Advice?
Right, either of these is valid, but you have to choose one and stick with it. So let's say you put ##x = \tan(a)##. So ##dx = \sec^2(a) da = da/\cos^2(a)##. Your integral becomes
$$\begin{align}
\int_0^{\pi/4} \left(\frac{1}{\cos^2(a)}\right) \left(\frac{\ln(\tan(a) + 1)}{\tan^2(a) + 1}\right) da &=
\int_0^{\pi/4} \left(\frac{\cos^2(a)}{\cos^2(a)}\right) \ln(\tan(a) + 1) da\\
&= \int_0^{\pi/4} \ln(\tan(a) + 1) da \\
\end{align}$$
I'm not sure where you can take this from here. Are you sure that a trig substitution is the right approach?

What if you try integration by parts: say ##u = \ln(x+1)## and ##dv = dx/(x^2+1)##. Then ##du = dx/(x+1)## and ##v = \arctan(x)##. Your integral becomes
$$\begin{align}
\left. uv \right|_{x=0}^{x=1} - \int_{x=0}^{x=1} v du &=
\left. \ln(x+1)\arctan(x)\right|_{0}^{1} - \int_{0}^{1} \frac{\arctan(x)}{x+1} dx \\
&= \frac{\pi}{4}\ln(2) - \int_0^1 \frac{\arctan(x)}{x+1} dx \\
\end{align}$$
According to Wolfram Alpha, the answer is supposed to be ##\frac{\pi}{8}\ln(2)##, so if that's true, then somehow we must have
$$\int_0^1 \frac{\ln(x+1)}{x^2+1} dx = \int_0^1 \frac{\arctan(x)}{x+1} dx$$
If you can prove that then you're done. I don't know enough stupid integration tricks to prove it off the top of my head. :-p

Last edited:
jbunniii said:
Right, either of these is valid, but you have to choose one and stick with it. So let's say you put ##x = \tan(a)##. So ##dx = \sec^2(a) da = da/\cos^2(a)##. Your integral becomes
$$\begin{align}
\int_0^{\pi/4} \left(\frac{1}{\cos^2(a)}\right) \left(\frac{\ln(\tan(a) + 1)}{\tan^2(a) + 1}\right) da &=
\int_0^{\pi/4} \left(\frac{\cos^2(a)}{\cos^2(a)}\right) \ln(\tan(a) + 1) da\\
&= \int_0^{\pi/4} \ln(\tan(a) + 1) da \\
\end{align}$$
I'm not sure where you can take this from here. Are you sure that a trig substitution is the right approach?

What if you try integration by parts: say ##u = \ln(x+1)## and ##dv = dx/(x^2+1)##. Then ##du = dx/(x+1)## and ##v = \arctan(x)##. Your integral becomes
$$\begin{align}
\left. uv \right|_{x=0}^{x=1} - \int_{x=0}^{x=1} v du &=
\left. \ln(x+1)\arctan(x)\right|_{0}^{1} - \int_{0}^{1} \frac{\arctan(x)}{x+1} dx \\
&= \frac{\pi}{4}\ln(2) - \int_0^1 \frac{\arctan(x)}{x+1} dx \\
\end{align}$$
According to Wolfram Alpha, the answer is supposed to be ##\frac{\pi}{8}\ln(2)##, so if that's true, then somehow we must have
$$\int_0^1 \frac{\ln(x+1)}{x^2+1} dx = \int_0^1 \frac{\arctan(x)}{x+1} dx$$
If you can prove that then you're done. I don't know enough stupid integration tricks to prove it off the top of my head. :-p

Actually, interestingly,this is not needed at all. Recognizing these two facts is the most important,
(A) tan(a) = x
(B) cot(a) = x

If you use the first option (A) then

I = ∫ln(tan(a) + 1) da from 0 to pi/4

If you use the second (B) then

∫ln(cot(a) + 1) da from pi/4 to pi/2 = ∫ln(cot(a + pi/4) + 1) da from 0 to pi/4 = I

2I = ∫ln(cot(a + pi/4) + 1) da + ∫ln(tan(a) + 1) da

2I = ∫ln( [cot(a + pi/4) + 1][tan(a) + 1] da ) from 0 to pi/4

We proved [cot(a + pi/4) + 1][tan(a) + 1] = 2 thus,

2I = ∫ln(2) da from 0 to pi/4

2I = ln(2)*pi/4

I = ln(2)* (pi/8) which is correct.

Amad27 said:
Actually, interestingly,this is not needed at all.
Very nice!

FAQ: Proof of trig identity (difficult)

1. What is a proof of trigonometric identity?

A proof of trigonometric identity is a mathematical technique used to show that two trigonometric expressions are equivalent. In other words, it is a way to demonstrate that one expression can be rewritten or transformed into another expression using basic trigonometric identities and properties.

2. Why are proofs of trigonometric identities considered difficult?

Proofs of trigonometric identities can be considered difficult because they often require a deep understanding of trigonometric concepts and properties, as well as the ability to manipulate complex trigonometric expressions. They also involve a lot of steps and can be quite lengthy and tedious.

3. What are some common techniques used in proofs of trigonometric identities?

Some common techniques used in proofs of trigonometric identities include using basic trigonometric identities (such as the Pythagorean identities and sum and difference identities), substituting values for expressions, using algebraic manipulations, and converting trigonometric functions into their equivalent forms.

4. How can I improve my skills in proving trigonometric identities?

To improve your skills in proving trigonometric identities, it is important to have a solid understanding of basic trigonometric concepts and properties. Practice is also key - try solving different types of trigonometric identity problems and familiarize yourself with common techniques used in proofs. It may also be helpful to review algebraic manipulation techniques and properties.

5. Are there any useful tips for solving difficult proofs of trigonometric identities?

Yes, here are some tips for solving difficult proofs of trigonometric identities:
- Start by simplifying both sides of the equation using basic trigonometric identities
- Look for any patterns or relationships between the expressions on both sides
- Use algebraic manipulations to transform one expression into the other
- Be patient and don't get discouraged - proofs of trigonometric identities can be challenging, but with practice and perseverance, you can improve your skills.