Proof of V-E+F=2-2p (Euler's 2nd formula).

The formula V - E + F = 2 - 2p is still true, but now p = g + r. In summary, the Euler characteristic of a closed surface with genus g is given by 2 - 2g, and the formula V - E + F = 2 - 2p holds for all surfaces with p handles.
labinojha
Hi. This post is about general topology and is Euler's second formula . Can you people help me by finding a proof for V-E+F=2-2p. :smile:
Where,
p=genus of the surface.
F=number of regions the surface is partitioned into.
V=number of vertices.
E=number of arcs.

I'm currently reading this proof from a book 'Introduction to Modern Mathematics' by S.M Maskey(you won't be finding this book in the internet, we don't have a system of buying books from the internet in our country and most of the people are too lazy to make it into an ebook.And these books are just dumbed down(to simle english) versions of other good books ).Thus, this book has vague descriptions regarding the proving process. :mad:

The proof here talks about considering spheres with p handles and removing them again.and i am not understanding the process written herein this book.

Any links of this proof will be appreciated, or we could discuss . :approve:

Physics news on Phys.org
labinojha said:
Hi. This post is about general topology and is Euler's second formula . Can you people help me by finding a proof for V-E+F=2-2p.

V-E+F is the Euler characteristic of the surface. So is 2 - 2p

Take a look at the wikipedia article for Euler Characteristic: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euler_characteristic

Take a look at the wikipedia article on Handle: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handle_(mathematics)

After reading through these pages click on the links for which you don't know what the term is, try not to digress too far from what it is you are actually trying to learn and then once you have a bit better of an understanding try re-reading your textbook and it might make more sense. In some situations I thought that a textbook had a bad explanation or was unclear, but it was simply a lack of the underlying meaning/geometric representation of some of the terminology that was holding me back from seeing the full picture.

labinojha said:
Hi. This post is about general topology and is Euler's second formula . Can you people help me by finding a proof for V-E+F=2-2p. :smile:
Where,
p=genus of the surface.
F=number of regions the surface is partitioned into.
V=number of vertices.
E=number of arcs.

I'm currently reading this proof from a book 'Introduction to Modern Mathematics' by S.M Maskey(you won't be finding this book in the internet, we don't have a system of buying books from the internet in our country and most of the people are too lazy to make it into an ebook.And these books are just dumbed down(to simle english) versions of other good books ).Thus, this book has vague descriptions regarding the proving process. :mad:

The proof here talks about considering spheres with p handles and removing them again.and i am not understanding the process written herein this book.

Any links of this proof will be appreciated, or we could discuss . :approve:

To get you started.

A sphere has no handles so p = 0.

Triangulate the sphere as a tetrahedron. V - E + F = 2.

So the theorem is true in this case.

Try proving the rest by induction adding one handle at a time.

Last edited:
Or, by removing one handle at a time. If you have a handle, you can cut it and cap the two boundary components you get with disks. (That is, you replace a cylinder S1 × [0,1] with two disks D2 × {0,1}.) This will reduce the genus by 1, and increase the Euler characteristic by 2. Repeat until you get no handles; you are left with a 2-sphere, which has genus 0 and Euler characteristic 2.

Note that this formula is only true for closed surfaces. If your surface has genus g, b boundary components and r punctures, then the Euler characteristic is 2 - 2g - b - r.

Related to Proof of V-E+F=2-2p (Euler's 2nd formula).

What is the significance of V-E+F=2-2p (Euler's 2nd formula)?

Euler's 2nd formula, V-E+F=2-2p, is a fundamental equation in topology and geometry that relates the number of vertices (V), edges (E), and faces (F) of a polyhedron or a graph. It is also known as the Euler characteristic and has many applications in various fields of science and mathematics.

What is the derivation of V-E+F=2-2p (Euler's 2nd formula)?

Euler's 2nd formula was first discovered by Leonhard Euler in the 18th century. He derived it by studying the properties of polyhedra and their faces, edges, and vertices. It can also be derived using the Euler-Poincaré formula, which relates the Euler characteristic to the number of connected components, boundary components, and holes in a surface.

How is V-E+F=2-2p (Euler's 2nd formula) used in topology?

In topology, Euler's 2nd formula is used to determine the topological genus of a surface, which is a fundamental property used to classify different types of surfaces. It is also used to calculate the Euler characteristic of more complex spaces, such as manifolds and higher-dimensional objects.

What is the physical interpretation of V-E+F=2-2p (Euler's 2nd formula)?

Euler's 2nd formula has a physical interpretation in terms of the curvature of a surface. It states that the sum of the number of vertices and faces of a polyhedron is equal to the number of edges plus the number of holes in the surface. This is related to the concept of Gaussian curvature, which measures the curvature of a surface at a given point.

What are the limitations of V-E+F=2-2p (Euler's 2nd formula)?

While Euler's 2nd formula is a powerful tool in topology and geometry, it has some limitations. It only applies to certain types of surfaces, such as polyhedra and graphs, and cannot be used for more complex objects. Additionally, it does not take into account the orientation of the surface or the angles between its faces.