Proof on Magnetic Dipole in an homogeneous magnetic field

In summary, a magnetic dipole placed in a homogeneous magnetic field with its dipole moment directed opposite to the field will create a spherical surface where no field lines pass and inside the sphere, the field lines will appear as concentric circles. The strength of the field outside the sphere at the equator is equal to the strength of the original field, Bo.
nexus89

Homework Statement

A magnetic dipole of strength m is placed in an homogeneous magnetic field of strength Bo, with the dipole moment directed opposite to the field. Show that, in the combined field, there is a certain spherical surface , centered on the dipole , through which no field lines pass. What do the field lines inside the sphere look like? what is the strength of the field immediately outside the sphere, at the equator?

Homework Equations

Equations for the field of a magnetic dipole in spherical coordinates:

-Br=2*m*cos(θ)/r^3
-Bteta = m*sin(θ)/r^3

The Attempt at a Solution

It looks to me as if this is a very easy problem. I just find the combined field by adding B=-Bo (r hat direction) to the field of the magnetic dipole. Then I see when the field is equal to zero. However, the math doesn't make much sense. In fact, apart from the condition B0=2*m*cos(θ)/r^3, the other component of the combined field is zero only for obvious values of θ. It seems clear to me that there should be no restrictions on θ for a spherical surface where no field lines pass. I am very confused by this situation and your help would be really appreciated! Forgive me for not writing with the appropriate notation. However, it is the first time that I write on this website and I was really in hurry.

Physics news on Phys.org
The field lines inside the sphere will look like concentric circles, since the field is radial. The field strength immediately outside the sphere at the equator is equal to Bo.

FAQ: Proof on Magnetic Dipole in an homogeneous magnetic field

1. What is magnetic dipole in a homogeneous magnetic field?

Magnetic dipole refers to the magnetic moment or the strength of a magnet. In a homogeneous magnetic field, the magnetic field strength is the same at all points, creating a uniform environment for the magnet to interact with.

2. How is the proof on magnetic dipole in a homogeneous magnetic field derived?

The proof is derived from the fundamental principles of electromagnetism, specifically the Lorentz force law and the definition of magnetic dipole moment. By applying these principles and mathematical equations, the proof can be obtained.

3. What is the significance of understanding magnetic dipole in a homogeneous magnetic field?

Understanding magnetic dipole in a homogeneous magnetic field is crucial in many fields, such as physics, engineering, and technology. It allows us to predict and manipulate the behavior of magnetic materials and their interactions with external magnetic fields.

4. Is the proof on magnetic dipole in a homogeneous magnetic field applicable to all magnets?

Yes, the proof applies to all magnets, regardless of their shape, size, or material. As long as the magnet is placed in a homogeneous magnetic field, the proof can be applied to determine its behavior.

5. Are there any real-life applications of magnetic dipole in a homogeneous magnetic field?

Yes, there are many real-life applications, including magnetic levitation, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines, and magnetic data storage devices. Understanding magnetic dipole in a homogeneous magnetic field allows us to design and optimize these technologies.

Back