Proof Related to the Binomial Theorem

In summary, the homework statement is trying to find a rational number b such that (1+a)b>A. The train of thought suggests that if we choose b>(A-1)/a, then b will be the solution to the problem.
icestone111

Homework Statement

Use the above to prove that given a rational number a > 1 and A any other rational number, there exists b ε N such that ab > A.

Homework Equations

The above refers to the proving, by use of both induction and binomial theorem, that (1+a)n ≥ 1+na.

Binomial Theorem: (i=0 to n)Ʃ(n choose i)ai

The Attempt at a Solution

So I tried using the binomial theorem to get the value aN.
I get that aN must be greater than (i=0 to n-1)Ʃ(n choose i)ai
So how do I choose an N so that this holds?
Could you just let N > (i=0 to n-1)Ʃ(n choose i)ai?

Physics news on Phys.org
Let's keep it simple and use this result:
(1+a)n ≥ 1+na

The a in your problem and the a in the result they tell you to use are not going to be the same number. What should the relationship between them be?

Office_Shredder said:
Let's keep it simple and use this result:
(1+a)n ≥ 1+na

The a in your problem and the a in the result they tell you to use are not going to be the same number. What should the relationship between them be?

Thanks for the reply!

So, would the a in my problem be equivalent to (1+a), and then you would choose b = 1?
Then you would get (1+a)b ≥ 1+ba,
And using the expansion formula, they are equivalent when b = 1, so as a result b ≥ 1?

No, there's a difference between A and a. The objective now is to show that given any a>0, A>0, there exists some b such that (1+a)b>A. Use the fact that (1+a)b[/sub]>1+ab at this point

Sorry for the slowness...
It looks awfully similar to a Cauchy sequence proof.

But I do realize (?) that I am trying to solve for b in terms of the given/fixed values a and A.

When I look at the "hint" that was given, I keep seeing that (i=2 to b)Ʃ(b choose i)ai ≥ 0

Does this train of thought lead me anywhere?

Last edited:
Oh!
Would it work if we just choose b > (A-1)/a?

If it is I feel bad for missing something so simple. Looking too hard perhaps.

FAQ: Proof Related to the Binomial Theorem

1. What is the Binomial Theorem?

The Binomial Theorem is a mathematical formula that allows us to expand a binomial expression raised to a positive integer power. It is expressed as (a + b)^n = a^n + (n choose 1)a^(n-1)b + (n choose 2)a^(n-2)b^2 + ... + (n choose n-1)ab^(n-1) + b^n, where n is a positive integer and a and b are any real numbers.

2. How is the Binomial Theorem related to probability?

The Binomial Theorem is closely related to probability because it can be used to calculate the probability of a specific outcome in a series of independent trials. For example, flipping a coin 10 times and getting exactly 5 heads can be calculated using the Binomial Theorem.

3. What is the importance of the Binomial Theorem in statistics?

The Binomial Theorem is important in statistics because it allows us to calculate the probability of a certain number of successes in a series of independent trials. This is useful in analyzing data and making predictions about future outcomes.

4. How does the Binomial Theorem differ from the Binomial Distribution?

The Binomial Theorem is a mathematical formula used to expand binomial expressions, while the Binomial Distribution is a probability distribution that describes the possible outcomes of a binomial experiment. The Binomial Theorem is used to calculate specific outcomes, while the Binomial Distribution gives the probabilities for all possible outcomes.

5. Can the Binomial Theorem be applied to non-integer powers?

No, the Binomial Theorem can only be applied to positive integer powers. However, there are extensions of the theorem, such as the Generalized Binomial Theorem, that can be used for non-integer powers.