Proof that an even degree polynomial has a minimum

In summary: In this case, the lower terms would overpower the upper terms and the polynomial would go to infinity on the right side.
B3NR4Y
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Let $$p(x) = a_{2n} x^{2n} + ... + a_{1} x + a_{0} $$ be any polynomial of even degree.
If $$ a_{2n} > 0 $$ then p has a minimum value on R.

Homework Equations

We say f has a minimum value "m" on D, provided there exists an $$x_m \in D$$ such that
$$ f(x) \geq f(x_m) = m $$

for all x in D.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I should prove that p(x) goes to infinity on both sides, but I'm not sure how to start doing that.
I can rewrite $$p(x) = x^{2n} (a_{2n} + ... + \frac{a_1}{x^{2n-1}} + \frac{a_0}{x^{2n}}) $$

But I'm not sure how to prove that it goes to infinity. If I can do that I can use the definition of the minimum and the intermediate value theorem to prove that the minimum exists.

Physics news on Phys.org
Unless I'm missing something here--as in, if this isn't an assumption you can make--it's readily apparent that every term as you've written the polynomial will drop out except ##a_{2n}## as ##x \to \infty##.

axmls said:
Unless I'm missing something here--as in, if this isn't an assumption you can make--it's readily apparent that every term as you've written the polynomial will drop out except ##a_{2n}## as ##x \to \infty##.
Unfortunately that's not an assumption I can make, I have to prove everything.

B3NR4Y said:

Homework Statement

Let $$p(x) = a_{2n} x^{2n} + ... + a_{1} x + a_{0} $$ be any polynomial of even degree.

Homework Equations

We say f has a minimum value "m" on D, provided there exists an $$x_m \in D$$ such that

for all x in D.

I know I should prove that p(x) goes to infinity on both sides, but I'm not sure how to start doing that.
I can rewrite $$p(x) = x^{2n} (a_{2n} + ... + \frac{a_1}{x^{2n-1}} + \frac{a_0}{x^{2n}}) $$

But I'm not sure how to prove that it goes to infinity. If I can do that I can use the definition of the minimum and the intermediate value theorem to prove that the minimum exists.

Remember, the limit of a sum is the sum of the limits of each individual term.

Can you show that a2nx2n → ∞ as x → ∞ ? Then work your way thru the terms of p(x) until you reach a0 .

SteamKing said:
Remember, the limit of a sum is the sum of the limits of each individual term.

Can you show that a2nx2n → ∞ as x → ∞ ? Then work your way thru the terms of p(x) until you reach a0 .

Here would be my issues with this:

1. can the OP assume said property of limits? (I presume he can--but you never know)

2. Are you sure this will work for negative infinity? After all, who's to say the odd-integer exponents don't drag down the even-integer exponent terms as ##x \to -\infty##? That'd be another thing to prove for the ##x < 0## case.

B3NR4Y said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

for all x in D.

p'(x) is an odd-degree polynomial with a positive leading coefficient. It will have to have at least one x-intercept where p' changes sign (hence p changes from decreasing to increasing or vice versa). Do you have any theorems you can invoke about odd-degree polynomials?

axmls said:
Here would be my issues with this:

1. can the OP assume said property of limits? (I presume he can--but you never know)

2. Are you sure this will work for negative infinity? After all, who's to say the odd-integer exponents don't drag down the even-integer exponent terms as ##x \to -\infty##? That'd be another thing to prove for the ##x < 0## case.
Beats me. Just trying to give the OP a nudge to do something. I usually write my name at the top of the paper when I get stumped.

Okay I think I am able to prove it using what SteamKing said, but I see what axmls means by some of the lower power terms may overcome the upper power terms. That's why I preferred writing it as $$p(x) = x^{2n} (a_{2n} + ... + \frac{a_1}{x^{2n-1}} + \frac{a_0}{x^2n} ) $$ it seems to show that $$a_{2n}$$ is the prevalent term. The only thing that sucks is I can't go limit by limit.

Perhaps you could show as well that ##\lim_{x \to \infty} \frac{1}{x^k} = 0## first for the case ##k=1##, then the rest of the terms follow easily from the squeeze theorem.

The only drawback would be if you can't assume, for instance, that the limit of the sum is the sum of the limits, or if you can't assume the squeeze theorem.

Those assumptions you can and can't make is what makes these difficult to work with.

Related to Proof that an even degree polynomial has a minimum

1. What is an even degree polynomial?

An even degree polynomial is a polynomial function where the highest exponent of the variable is an even number. For example, the function f(x) = 2x4 + 3x2 + 1 is an even degree polynomial because the highest exponent of x is 4, an even number.

2. How do you determine if a polynomial has a minimum?

In order to determine if a polynomial has a minimum, you need to find the derivative of the polynomial and set it equal to 0. Then, solve for the variable to find the critical points. If the polynomial is an even degree, there will always be a minimum value at the critical point.

3. Why does an even degree polynomial have a minimum?

An even degree polynomial has a minimum because the graph of an even degree polynomial is always symmetric about the y-axis. This means that the polynomial will have the same value on both sides of the y-axis, and the minimum value will be at the vertex of the graph.

4. Can an even degree polynomial have multiple minima?

No, an even degree polynomial can only have one minimum. This is because the graph of an even degree polynomial is always symmetric, and there can only be one vertex or minimum point on a symmetric graph.

5. How can you use the minimum of an even degree polynomial in real-world applications?

The minimum of an even degree polynomial can be used in real-world applications to determine the minimum or optimal value of a function. For example, in economics, the minimum of a cost function can be used to determine the most cost-effective way to produce a certain product. It can also be used in physics to determine the minimum energy state of a system.