Proof that Objects Interact with Spacetime

In summary, the conversation is about two bodies in space rotating around each other and why they do not collide at the same rate as objects not in rotation. The problem involves non-inertial reference frames and the interaction of objects with spacetime. The conclusion is that objects do interact with spacetime, and this could explain why a unified field theory has not been discovered yet.
Jonnyb42
This is not a mathematically supported proof or a detailed one, but rather a philosophical proof, being my (temporary) conclusion of https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=404650".

To sum up the initial problem, there are two bodies in space rotating about one another, attracted by gravity, and held in equillibrium. Why do the bodies not collide at the same rate as if they were not rotating about one another? This seems like a simple problem, however the problem is not a question of simple Newtonian mechanics, centrifugal force etc. but involves references frames, particularly non-inertial reference frames. The details of the problem are at the link above.

The rotating bodies not colliding prove that objects interact with spacetime, because it is the interaction of those bodies with spacetime that prevent their collision.
First I thought, well the difference is in all other objects around them, even being at the vast distances they are, for that is the only difference between two bodies rotating about one another and bodies not rotating about one another.
So then this fake centrifugal force is caused by those objects swirling around them, at gravitationally negligible distances away. However, if this is the case, then that means we could induce fake inertial forces on objects by swilring around them, and we know this is not the case.
This leads us to one conclusion, that spacetime has underlying mechanics of its own, and that physics does not just deal with the interaction between objects, but even interactions with spacetime.

A few things I'd like to mention, is that I don't say anything about how matter interacts with spacetime. Also, when objects are rotating about other objects/spinning/revolving, they perceive EVERYTHING else as swirling around them, this could be a requirement for the fake forces we see in "non-inertial" reference frames, and that just our influence alone on an object in an attempt to induce a fake inertial force is not enough, it requires the movement of all the rest of the objects in the universe.

Nevertheless, I still believe, based on the above logic, that objects interact with spacetime. I find this interesting because I have never learned of physical laws that involve interactions between objects and spacetime.

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
This could explain why we can't yet create a "unified field theory", that is, a theory of everything, because there are still physical laws that we have yet to discover concerning the interaction between objects and spacetime.

FAQ: Proof that Objects Interact with Spacetime

1. How do objects interact with spacetime?

Objects interact with spacetime through the force of gravity. According to Einstein's theory of general relativity, mass causes spacetime to become curved, and other objects with mass will follow this curvature and move towards each other.

2. What evidence supports the idea that objects interact with spacetime?

One of the key pieces of evidence for the interaction between objects and spacetime is the phenomenon of gravitational lensing. This occurs when the path of light is bent by the curvature of spacetime caused by massive objects, such as galaxies.

3. How does the interaction between objects and spacetime affect time?

According to Einstein's theory, the curvature of spacetime caused by massive objects also affects the flow of time. Time moves slower in areas with stronger gravitational pull, such as near a black hole, compared to areas with weaker gravitational pull.

4. Do all objects interact with spacetime in the same way?

Yes, all objects interact with spacetime in the same way. However, the strength of this interaction depends on the mass of the object. Objects with larger mass will cause a greater curvature in spacetime and therefore have a stronger gravitational pull.

5. Can objects interact with spacetime in ways other than through gravity?

While gravity is the primary way in which objects interact with spacetime, there are other ways in which this interaction can occur. For example, objects with high energy can also cause ripples in spacetime known as gravitational waves. Additionally, objects with high velocity can also affect the curvature of spacetime.