Proof that S is a generating set.

• Thread starter kasperrepsak
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof Set
In summary, the conversation discusses the proof that if S is a subset of a finite group G with an order greater than half the order of G, then S is a generating subset for G. The individual must prove this without prior knowledge of cosets or Lagrange theorem. The solution involves showing that the generated subgroup H and its coset xH are disjoint sets with the same number of elements, ultimately leading to the conclusion that H must be the entire group G.
kasperrepsak

Homework Statement

I have recently started a new course in Algebra. I have to proof that if S is a subset of a finite group G, with an order greater than half the order of G, S is a generating subset for G.

Homework Equations

I haven't had cosets nor Lagrange theorem so I suppose I should try to prove it from scratch.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have put my mind to the problem for a while now but didnt come up with any meaningful clues. I would be very thankful for any tips.

Physics news on Phys.org
kasperrepsak said:

Homework Statement

I have recently started a new course in Algebra. I have to proof that if S is a subset of a finite group G, with an order greater than half the order of G, S is a generating subset for G.

Homework Equations

I haven't had cosets nor Lagrange theorem so I suppose I should try to prove it from scratch.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have put my mind to the problem for a while now but didnt come up with any meaningful clues. I would be very thankful for any tips.

Let H be the group generated by S. That's a subgroup of G and it has at least as many elements as S. Suppose H isn't the whole group G. Then there is an element x of G that's not in H. Can you show H and xH are disjoint sets and they have the same number of elements? Sure, xH is a coset. But you don't have to know that to do the proof.

Last edited:
Dick said:
Let H be the group generated by S. That's a subgroup of G and it has at least as many elements as S. Suppose H isn't the whole group G. Then there is an element x of that's not in H. Can you show H and xH are disjoint sets? Sure, xH is a coset. But you don't have to know that to do the proof.

Thanks for the fast reply ! : ) Thank you I will work with that.

Ok so I know that H and xH must be disjoined sets (easy to proof), they have the same number of elements and both must be in G. But since the order of H is greater than half the order of G, H and xH unified would have more elements than G which is a contradiction. Therefore H must be the whole group G. Is this right?

kasperrepsak said:
Ok so I know that H and xH must be disjoined sets (easy to proof). H and xH have the same number of elements. They both must be in G. But since the order of H is greater than half the order of G, H and xH combined would have more elements than G which isn't possible. Therefore H must be the whole group G. Is this right?

Absolutely correct.

Ok thanks again for your help : ).

FAQ: Proof that S is a generating set.

1. What is a generating set?

A generating set is a set of elements that can be combined in various ways to create all other elements in a group or algebraic structure.

2. How do you prove that S is a generating set?

To prove that S is a generating set, we must show that every element in the group or algebraic structure can be expressed as a combination of elements in S. This can be done through mathematical equations and proofs.

3. Why is it important to establish that S is a generating set?

Establishing S as a generating set is important because it allows us to understand the structure and behavior of the group or algebraic structure. It also helps us to make predictions and perform calculations within the group.

4. Can a generating set be infinite?

Yes, a generating set can be infinite. In fact, some groups or algebraic structures have infinite generating sets, while others have finite ones.

5. How does one determine the minimal generating set for a group or algebraic structure?

The minimal generating set for a group or algebraic structure can be determined by finding the smallest possible set of elements that can generate all other elements in the group. This can be done through mathematical analysis and identification of patterns within the group.

Back