Proof Using Induction: Discrete Maths Problem Solving

In summary, the conversation discusses using induction to solve problems in Discrete Maths. It is recommended to only post two questions per thread and show what has been tried. The first step is to demonstrate the base case and then use the given recursion in the induction step.
Ryuna
Can someone help me solve the following problems from Discrete Maths, using induction to prove them
View attachment 2554
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    5.2 KB · Views: 60
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, and welcome to MHB! :D

In the future, we ask that you post no more than two questions in a thread and that you show what you have tired so we know where you are stuck, and can best help.

I am assuming the first one is instead:

\(\displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^n\left(3\cdot2^{k-1}\right)=3\left(2^n-1\right)\)

The first step is to demonstrate that the base case (for $n=1$) is true. Have you done that?

^Right, I'll keep that in mind.

And the case is true for n=1. These are practice questions for my exam and I was looking for key answers to use as indicators. I'll be back after trying more.

could you give me a hint on how to start with the last one?

Ryuna said:
...could you give me a hint on how to start with the last one?

Well, after showing the base case is true, you want to state your induction hypothesis. It appears to me that using the given recursion will be key to your induction step. I would write the recursion in terms of $n+1$, and see what can be done with that.

Sure, I would be happy to assist you in solving these problems using induction.

Firstly, let's review what induction is. Induction is a mathematical proof technique used to prove statements about all natural numbers. It involves proving a base case, usually for n=1, and then showing that if the statement is true for n=k, it must also be true for n=k+1. This process is repeated until the desired statement is proven for all natural numbers.

Now, let's take a look at the problems from Discrete Maths that you need help with:

1. Prove that 1+3+5+...+(2n-1) = n^2 for all natural numbers n.

Solution:
Base case: For n=1, we have 1 = 1^2, which is true.

Inductive hypothesis: Assume that the statement is true for n=k, i.e. 1+3+5+...+(2k-1) = k^2.

Inductive step: Now, we need to show that if the statement is true for n=k, it must also be true for n=k+1. So, let's add (2k+1) to both sides of our inductive hypothesis:
1+3+5+...+(2k-1)+(2k+1) = k^2 + (2k+1)
= (k+1)^2
= 1+3+5+...+(2k-1)+(2k+1)
Therefore, the statement is true for n=k+1.

By the principle of mathematical induction, the statement is true for all natural numbers n.

2. Prove that 1^3 + 2^3 + 3^3 + ... + n^3 = (n(n+1)/2)^2 for all natural numbers n.

Solution:
Base case: For n=1, we have 1^3 = (1(1+1)/2)^2, which is true.

Inductive hypothesis: Assume that the statement is true for n=k, i.e. 1^3 + 2^3 + 3^3 + ... + k^3 = (k(k+1)/2)^2.

Inductive step: Now, we need to show that if the statement is true for n=k, it must also be true for n=k+1. So, let's add (

FAQ: Proof Using Induction: Discrete Maths Problem Solving

What is proof by induction?

Proof by induction is a mathematical technique used to prove that a statement is true for all natural numbers. It involves showing that the statement is true for a base case, and then proving that if the statement is true for a particular number, it must also be true for the next number.

What is the general structure of an inductive proof?

The general structure of an inductive proof involves three steps: the base case, the inductive hypothesis, and the inductive step. The base case is where the statement is proven to be true for the first number. The inductive hypothesis assumes that the statement is true for a particular number. The inductive step then shows that if the statement is true for that number, it must also be true for the next number.

What is the difference between strong and weak induction?

Strong induction is a variation of induction where the inductive hypothesis assumes that the statement is true for all previous numbers, not just the immediate previous number. Weak induction, on the other hand, only assumes that the statement is true for the immediate previous number. Strong induction is often used when the statement being proven depends on multiple previous numbers.

How do I know when to use induction in a proof?

Induction is typically used when we want to prove that a statement is true for all natural numbers, as it is a powerful tool for proving these types of statements. It is also useful when the statement being proven involves a recursive definition or relies on the previous number in some way.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when using induction?

One common mistake is assuming that the statement is true for all natural numbers without proving it for the base case. Another mistake is not properly stating the inductive hypothesis or not using it in the inductive step. It is also important to be careful when using strong induction, as it can lead to false conclusions if not used correctly.