Proof with regards to cumulative distribution function

In summary, the cumulative distribution function for a random variable is the probability that the variable will be less than or equal to a given value.
Eidos
Hey guys

I'd like a steer in the right direction with this problem.
I would like to show that
[tex]P\{x_1\leq X \leq x_2\}=F_{X}(x_2)-F_{X}(x_1^{-})\quad(1)[/tex]

Where:
[tex]X[/tex] is a random variable.
[tex]F_{X}(x) \equiv P\{X \leq x \} [/tex] is its cumulative distribution function.

My notes only give an example (using dice) to show that this is true.

Generally
[tex]P\{x_1 < X \leq x_2\}=F_{X}(x_2)-F_{X}(x_1)\quad(2)[/tex]

and

[tex]P\{X = x_2\}=F_{X}(x_2)-F_{X}(x_2^{-})\quad (3)[/tex]
the latter of which is easy to prove.
I've been trying to rewrite (1) in terms of (2) & (3) but have had no success so far.
Any ideas would be most welcomed :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
What definition of "cumulative distribution function" do you have?

[tex]F_{X}(x) = \int_{-\infty}^{x}f_{X}(\mu) d\mu [/tex]

That limit from the left in (1) is so that the same is true whether we have a pdf or a pmf. With the pmf we would have a sum, not an integral. It matters in the discrete case whether we have 'less than equals to' or just 'less than' for the lower bound in our probability, but in the continuous case (assuming of course that our cdf is differentiable everywhere) it doesn't matter since [tex]x_0^{-}=x_0 [/tex].

Last edited:
Okay, so from that definition,
[tex]P(x_1< X\le x_2)= \int_{x_1}^{x_2}f_X(\mu)d\mu[/tex]
[tex]= \int_{-\infty}^{x_2}f_X(\mu)d\mu- \int_{-\infty}^{x_1} f_X(\mu)d\mu[/tex]
[tex]= F(x_2)- F(x_1)[/tex]

The only thing is though that we have not included the lower boundry x1 in our probability, but we have in the integral. How does that work, especially in the discrete case?

I know that the cdf is right continuous, and when we include the lower bound we take the next lowest discrete point than x1 which is x0.

That is [tex]P\{x_1 \leq X \leq x_2\}=F_{X}(x_2)-F_{X}(x_0)[/tex]

where: [tex]x_0=\lim_{x\rightarrow x_{1}^{-}}x[/tex]

In the continuous case, it doesn't matter: the probability of a single data point is always 0:
[tex]P(x_1< X\le x_2)= P(x1\le X\le x_2)[/itex]

In the discrete case, there are two different probabilities:
[tex]P(x_1< X\le x_2)= P(x1\le X\le x_2)- P(x_1)[/itex]

Cool thanks! :smile:

That last bit is exactly what I need.

Related to Proof with regards to cumulative distribution function

1. What is a cumulative distribution function (CDF)?

A cumulative distribution function (CDF) is a mathematical function that describes the probability distribution of a random variable. It shows the probability that the variable takes on a value less than or equal to a given value.

2. How is a CDF different from a probability density function (PDF)?

A CDF gives the cumulative probability of a random variable, while a PDF gives the probability density at a specific point. In other words, a CDF is the integral of the PDF over a given range of values.

3. What is the relationship between a CDF and a survival function?

A survival function is the complement of a CDF, meaning it shows the probability that a random variable takes on a value greater than a given value. In other words, it is 1 minus the CDF.

4. How is a CDF used in statistical analysis?

A CDF is used to calculate various descriptive statistics, such as the mean, median, and variance of a random variable. It can also be used to compare different distributions and make predictions about the likelihood of certain events.

5. Can a CDF be used to calculate probabilities for continuous and discrete random variables?

Yes, a CDF can be used for both continuous and discrete random variables. For continuous variables, it is represented by a smooth curve, while for discrete variables, it is represented by a step function. In both cases, the area under the curve or function gives the probability of the variable taking on a certain value or range of values.