Propagating waves along a non uniform string.

In summary, a non-uniform wire under constant tension allows for the transmission of an incident wave without reflection. The wire is uniform for x≤0, where a transverse wave with the form y(x,t)=0.003cos(30x − 60t) is present. From x=0 to x=20, the linear mass density decreases from μ to μ/9 and then remains constant at μ/9 for x≥20. For large values of x(>20), the wave velocity can be found by equating the value of force for x<0 and x>20 and solving for the velocities in terms of each other. The amplitude of the wave for large values of x(>20m)
slasakai

Homework Statement

The linear mass density of a non uniform wire under constant tension decreases gradually along the wire so that the incedent wave is transmitted without reflection. the wire is uniform for* -∞≤x≤0
In this region, a transverse wave has the form y(x,t) = 0.003cos(30x − 60t). From x=0 to x=20 the linear mass density decreases fromμ to μ/9 and is again constant as μ/9 from x=20 to x=∞
i. what is the wave velocity for large values of x(>20)?
ii.What is the amplitude of the wave for large values of a(>20m). you should get this from conservation of mechanical energy.
iii.What's y(x,t) for x=20 to x=∞.

Homework Equations

v=sqrt(F/μ)

The Attempt at a Solution

for part i. I used the above equation to equate the value of force for a wave from - infinity to 0 and 20 to infinity as the tension is uniform throughout the string and solved for the velocities in terms of each other. However I don't understand how to get a numerical answer.

for part ii and iii I am struggling to see even how to approach this question :(

any help would be most welcome.

Physics news on Phys.org
slasakai said:

Homework Statement

The linear mass density of a non uniform wire under constant tension decreases gradually along the wire so that the incedent wave is transmitted without reflection. the wire is uniform for* -∞≤x≤0
In this region, a transverse wave has the form y(x,t) = 0.003cos(30x − 60t). From x=0 to x=20 the linear mass density decreases fromμ to μ/9 and is again constant as μ/9 from x=20 to x=∞
i. what is the wave velocity for large values of x(>20)?
ii.What is the amplitude of the wave for large values of a(>20m). you should get this from conservation of mechanical energy.
iii.What's y(x,t) for x=20 to x=∞.

Homework Equations

v=sqrt(F/μ)

The Attempt at a Solution

for part i. I used the above equation to equate the value of force for a wave from - infinity to 0 and 20 to infinity as the tension is uniform throughout the string and solved for the velocities in terms of each other. However I don't understand how to get a numerical answer.
What's the speed of the wave for x<0? You should be able to figure that out from the y(x) given to you.

for part ii and iii I am struggling to see even how to approach this question :(

any help would be most welcome.

Related to Propagating waves along a non uniform string.

What is a non uniform string?

A non uniform string is a string with varying properties such as density, tension, or thickness along its length. This can cause changes in the speed and amplitude of propagating waves along the string.

How do propagating waves behave on a non uniform string?

Propagating waves on a non uniform string can experience changes in speed, amplitude, and direction as they travel along the string. This is due to the varying properties of the string, which can cause reflections, refractions, and interference of the waves.

What are some examples of non uniform strings?

Examples of non uniform strings include guitar strings, which have varying thickness along their length, and power lines, which have varying tension along their length.

How can we model propagating waves on a non uniform string?

Propagating waves on a non uniform string can be modeled using mathematical equations and principles of wave propagation, such as the wave equation and the principle of superposition. Computer simulations and physical experiments can also be used to study and visualize the behavior of these waves.

What are some real-world applications of studying propagating waves on non uniform strings?

Understanding how propagating waves behave on non uniform strings is important in various fields such as acoustics, engineering, and music. It can also help in the design and optimization of structures and systems that involve non uniform strings, such as musical instruments, power transmission lines, and suspension bridges.