Properties of Electric Charges-review prob

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving calculating the number of electrons in a silver pin and adding electrons to give the pin a specific negative charge. The conversation includes attempts at solving the problem and a discussion about the confusing wording of part b of the problem. The conversation concludes with an analogy to help understand the concept of adding a certain amount to a larger amount.
lunarskull

Homework Statement

(a). Calculate the number of electrons in a small, electrically neutral silver pin that has a mass of 10g. Silver has 47 electrons per atom, and its molar mass is 107.87 g/mol.
(b). Imagine adding electrons to the pin until the negative charge has the very large value of 1.00 mC. How many electrons are added for every 10^9 electrons already present?

2. The attempt at a solution

This problem seems rather simple, but for some reason part b is not making any sense to me... maybe i messed up part a, even though I've checked it through a few times...

(a) 10g/107.87(g/mol) = .0927 mol
.0927 x (6.022 x 10^23)(avgr #) x 47 electrons, which gives me 2.62 x 10^24 electrons in this 10g of silver.

(b). When I multiplied 2.62 x 10^24 (electrons) by -1.602 x 10^-19, which is the charge for a single electron, the final charge i got was 419814.96, which is obviously much larger than 1 mC.

Any idea where i went wrong on this old review problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
Instead of figuring out the total charge of all the electrons in the neutral silver pin (which was not asked), start by figuring out how many electrons must be added to give the pin the extra charge of -1.00 mC.

Doc Al said:
Instead of figuring out the total charge of all the electrons in the neutral silver pin (which was not asked), start by figuring out how many electrons must be added to give the pin the extra charge of -1.00 mC.

hey, I am stuck on this problem too.

i found the number of electron to give that extra charge...but I am confused when the questions asks "how many electrons are added for every 10^9 electrons already present"...i just don't understand what that means...are we suppose to divide out answer by 10^9 to get some type of fractional answer?
thanks for any help! :)

I agree that it's a bit confusing. Here's an analogous problem: Say you have 5 million dollars in the bank. You add 10 dollars. How many dollars did you add for every million dollars already in the account? Answer $2.

Do this problem the same way. How many billions (10^9) of electrons are already present?

Doc Al said:
I agree that it's a bit confusing. Here's an analogous problem: Say you have 5 million dollars in the bank. You add 10 dollars. How many dollars did you add for every million dollars already in the account? Answer $2.

Do this problem the same way. How many billions (10^9) of electrons are already present?

wow. thanks so much, that analogy really helped! :biggrin:

Related to Properties of Electric Charges-review prob

What is an electric charge?

An electric charge is a fundamental property of matter that causes it to experience a force when placed in an electric field. It can be either positive or negative and is measured in units of Coulombs (C).

What are the two types of electric charges?

The two types of electric charges are positive and negative. Positive charges are carried by particles with a deficiency of electrons, while negative charges are carried by particles with an excess of electrons.

What is the law of conservation of charge?

The law of conservation of charge states that the total charge in a closed system remains constant over time. This means that charge cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred from one object to another.

How do charged objects interact with each other?

Charged objects interact with each other through the electromagnetic force. Objects with opposite charges will attract each other, while objects with the same charge will repel each other. The strength of the force is determined by the magnitude of the charges and the distance between them.

What is the difference between conductors and insulators?

Conductors are materials that allow electric charges to flow freely, while insulators are materials that do not allow charges to flow easily. This is due to the difference in the number of free electrons in each material. Conductors have many free electrons, while insulators have very few.