Proposed plasma technology will it work?

In summary: I think the Death Star fires those huge rounds that look like fireballs. Anyway, thanks for the feedback.
PAC
proposed plasma technology...will it work?

Plasma-Assisted Cutting (PAC) rounds

Hello everybody. I have a conceptual idea for a futuristic plasma-based weapon that may be used by the military in the future, if it can actually function.

The idea basically is, that a gun fires a standard explosive round, except during firing, the round is somehow "encased" in a layer of plasma. We all know the penetrative potential of plasma, after all the stuff is used for industial cutting. The resulting plasma-encased round could penetrate through metal, wood, and many materials with ease. Not known for sure, but the plasma coat may also somehow "channel" the round's explosive charge into the target as well.

That said, there are a considerable number of complications that such a weapon faces if it were to actually be built. Sure it looks good on paper, but how practical is it really? Here are a number of problems that would occur if the construction of such a weapon was to be attempted.

1. the ionized particles in the plasma would collide with atmospheric particles, causing the plasma to rapidly dissipate
  2. it is unknown how the plasma would stay on the bullet
  3. even if such technology could function, the components would probably be extremely bulky and much too cumbersome to carry around

Could you please help me assess the various shortcomings of PAC technology, and possibly find a way to overcome them. I'm really dedicated to finding a way for PAC weaponry to become a reality. If there are certain equations I must know in order to create a working diagram of PAC, I'd be more than interested.

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem here is that you appear to have almost no knowledge of plasma physics. It isn't just "certain equations". It is a whole branch of study in physics. People devoted their lives in studying this, and considering that a plasma is inherently unstable and extremely susceptible to such instabilities, this isn't an easy field of study.

Because of that, I don't even know where to start in pointing out what is wrong with your idea. I think if you were to open a plasma physics text, you'll realize just how complex this is.

Zz.

Thanks for the pointers. Gosh, it's so daunting, all of this. Yes, you're right, I have virtually no understanding of plasma. Actually this concept I got from Star Wars.

Related to Proposed plasma technology will it work?

1. What is plasma technology?

Plasma technology is a type of technology that uses ionized gas, or plasma, to create high temperatures and intense energy. This can be used in a variety of applications, including medical treatments, industrial processes, and environmental remediation.

2. How does plasma technology work?

Plasma technology works by using an electrical current to ionize gas particles, creating a plasma state. This state allows for the manipulation of energy and particles in a controlled manner, making it useful for various purposes such as cutting, welding, and surface treatments.

3. What are the potential advantages of using plasma technology?

Some potential advantages of using plasma technology include its ability to reach high temperatures and create intense energy without the need for combustion or chemical reactions. It is also a relatively clean and precise method, making it useful for delicate processes and reducing environmental impact.

4. Are there any limitations to plasma technology?

Like any technology, plasma technology has its limitations. It can be expensive to implement and maintain, and requires specialized equipment and training. Additionally, plasma technology may not be suitable for all applications and may have safety concerns associated with it.

5. Will proposed plasma technology work?

The effectiveness of proposed plasma technology will depend on various factors, including the specific application and the quality and design of the technology itself. Extensive research and testing are necessary to determine its viability and potential success in a particular use case.