Proprtionality Statement Graphing Procedures

• Thread starter nivekov123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graphing
In summary, the conversation is about a lab involving a pendulum and comparing its frequency vs time. The collected data includes the length of the pendulum and its corresponding frequency. The question is about graphing the data before and after finding the proportionality statement of f proportional to 1/√l. The solution involves plotting the frequency in terms of square-root of the length to create a straight line graph. There is a question about whether the titles of both axes should be the same.
nivekov123
1. I have finished a lab that compares the frequency at which a pendulum swings vs time in seconds. I have collected the date for both the length of the pendulum and the frequency. A question on the lab requires to graph the collected data before the statement (Non Linear Line) and then one after (Linear Line). However I do not know if I should redo the X-Axis and its values.

Homework Equations

For the Non-Linear Graph it is plotted with the y-axis as Frequency in Hz, and the X-axis as Length in (cm). After finding the correct proportionality statement, which is f is proportional to 1/√l where l is length and f is frequency.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have previously graphed with the X-axis just using the length values, but now that i have made the proportionality statement, what needs to be changed? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Plot the frequency in terms of square-root of the length : you need to have points scattered around a straight line.

ehild

I have the increments properly placed, but should the titles of both axis be the same?

Related to Proprtionality Statement Graphing Procedures

1. What is a proportionality statement?

A proportionality statement is a mathematical relationship between two quantities that states the ratio between them remains constant, regardless of the values of the quantities. This is typically represented using the symbol "∝" or the phrase "is directly proportional to."

2. How do you graph a proportionality statement?

To graph a proportionality statement, you first need to identify the two quantities involved and determine if they are directly or inversely proportional. Then, plot points on a coordinate plane by choosing values for one quantity and using the proportionality statement to calculate the corresponding values for the other quantity. Finally, connect the points with a straight line to create the graph.

3. What is the purpose of graphing a proportionality statement?

Graphing a proportionality statement allows you to visually represent the relationship between two quantities. It can help you understand the relationship better and make predictions about the values of the quantities based on the graph.

4. How do you determine if a proportionality statement is directly or inversely proportional?

To determine if a proportionality statement is directly proportional, you need to check if the ratio between the quantities remains constant as their values change. If it does, then the statement is directly proportional. To determine if a statement is inversely proportional, you need to check if the product of the quantities remains constant as their values change. If it does, then the statement is inversely proportional.

5. How can you use a proportionality statement graph to solve problems?

A proportionality statement graph can be used to solve problems by allowing you to make predictions about the values of the quantities involved. You can also use the graph to find the value of one quantity when given the value of the other quantity. Additionally, the graph can help you identify patterns and trends in the relationship between the quantities, which can aid in problem-solving.