Propulsion Help: Seeking Advice on ROV Propellers

In summary, a new member of a forum is seeking advice on propellers for an ROV competition at their school. They mention the failure of last year's team due to lack of knowledge and request an equation for propellers in relation to RPM and diameter size. Another member suggests checking out a website for testing and benchmarking information.
Iveness92
Hello Forum.
I'm new here, and thought this would be a good place to ask some questions. Currently at my school, we are building an ROV for a competition.

I came here to ask specifically about propellers in terms of sizes, and rpm.

Last years team entered the competition without any knowledge of the propeller section, so they failed. Lol. So this year we decided to take it a little more serious.

I'll have more information of what power the ROV will be running at (I think it might be 12 Volts) and it's density and buoyancy.

If anyone can share any knowledge in terms of an equation for propellers, in relation to RPM and diameter size would be much appreciated.

Thanks a lot, Cisco.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't have any data for you, but check out www.rcgroups.com. There is a LOT of testing and benchmarking done in the airplane forums.

Hello Cisco,

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on taking your ROV competition seriously this year. Propellers are a crucial component in the propulsion system of an ROV and selecting the right propeller size and RPM can greatly impact the performance of your ROV.

In terms of an equation for propellers, there are a few factors that need to be considered such as the power of the ROV, its weight, and the desired speed. The most commonly used equation for propeller design is the Bp=Rpm*Sqrt(D*P), where Bp is the pitch of the propeller, Rpm is the revolutions per minute, D is the diameter of the propeller, and P is the power of the ROV. This equation can help you determine the optimal combination of RPM and diameter for your propeller.

However, it is important to note that propeller design is a complex process and there are many other factors that need to be taken into account, such as the shape and number of blades, the material of the propeller, and the water conditions in which the ROV will be operating. It is best to consult with a professional or do thorough research before making a final decision on the propeller design for your ROV.

I also recommend testing different propeller sizes and RPMs to see which combination works best for your specific ROV. Good luck with your competition and I hope this information helps. Don't hesitate to ask for further assistance or clarification on any propeller-related questions.

Best, , Scientist

Related to Propulsion Help: Seeking Advice on ROV Propellers

1. What are the different types of propellers used for ROVs?

There are a few different types of propellers that can be used for ROVs, including fixed-pitch, controllable-pitch, and ducted propellers. Each type has its own advantages and disadvantages, so it's important to consider the specific needs of your ROV before choosing a propeller.

2. How do I determine the appropriate size of propeller for my ROV?

The size of the propeller needed for your ROV will depend on various factors such as the size and weight of your ROV, the type of propulsion system it uses, and the operating conditions. It is important to consult with experts or use propeller sizing calculators to determine the appropriate size for your specific ROV.

3. What are the best materials for ROV propellers?

The most commonly used materials for ROV propellers are stainless steel, aluminum, and plastic. Stainless steel is the most durable and corrosion-resistant option, while aluminum is lighter and more affordable. Plastic propellers are often used for smaller, lightweight ROVs.

4. How can I improve the efficiency of my ROV's propulsion system?

There are a few ways to improve the efficiency of your ROV's propulsion system, such as reducing drag by streamlining the design, using more efficient propeller shapes, and optimizing the placement and direction of the propellers. Regular maintenance and cleaning of the propellers can also help improve efficiency.

5. What should I do if my ROV propellers are not performing as expected?

If you are experiencing issues with the performance of your ROV's propellers, it is important to first check for any damage or debris that may be affecting their function. You may also need to adjust the propeller size, shape, or placement to better suit your ROV's needs. Consulting with experts or conducting experiments and trials can also help troubleshoot and improve propeller performance.

Back