Proteus: Creating a 16*8bit RAM with D flip flops

• Thread starter SpaceBoB
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ram
In summary, creating a 16*8bit RAM with a three-state output in Proteus Suite can be challenging. Make sure to use a three-state buffer and check for logic contention errors. It is also helpful to break down the circuit into smaller sections for testing. An example circuit is attached for reference. Good luck with your design!
SpaceBoB

Homework Statement

Hey!
I need to create a RAM in Proteus Suite. The RAM should have 16 storage spaces each containing 8bits of data (16*8bit RAM) and the output should be a three-state output. I've tried to create one, but I can't seem to get the hang of this three-state thing, and I think the even the decoders which I have used at the beginning of the circuit are not used in the right way as well.

Homework Equations

How should this be working? I get an error: Logic contention detected on net _______

The Attempt at a Solution

You can find it in the attachement below.

Attachments

• RAMD1szemmunka.zip
    43.5 KB · Views: 435
  • RAMD1szemmunka.PDF
    1.9 MB · Views: 631
Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there!

Creating a RAM in Proteus Suite can be a bit tricky, but I can definitely help you out. First of all, the three-state output refers to a logic level that can be either high, low, or high impedance (disconnected). This allows multiple devices to share the same output without interfering with each other. In order to achieve this, you will need to use a three-state buffer in your circuit.

As for the decoders, make sure you are using them correctly and that they are connected to the appropriate inputs. Also, check for any logic contention errors by making sure that there are no conflicting signals on the same net. This can be resolved by adding additional buffers or using pull-up/pull-down resistors.

I would also suggest breaking down your circuit into smaller sections and testing each one individually before combining them into one circuit. This will help you identify and troubleshoot any potential issues more easily.

Attached is an example of a 16*8bit RAM with a three-state output that I have created in Proteus Suite. Take a look and see if it helps you with your design. Let me know if you have any further questions or if you need any additional assistance. Good luck!

Related to Proteus: Creating a 16*8bit RAM with D flip flops

1. What is Proteus?

Proteus is a software tool commonly used by scientists and engineers for circuit design, simulation, and PCB layout. It allows users to design and simulate electronic circuits before actually building them.

2. What is a 16*8bit RAM?

A 16*8bit RAM (Random Access Memory) is a type of memory that can store 16 different 8-bit values. It is commonly used in computer systems to temporarily store data that can be accessed and retrieved quickly.

3. What are D flip flops?

D flip flops are basic building blocks of digital circuits that can store one bit of information. They are used in memory circuits to store data and in sequential logic circuits to control the flow of data.

4. How does Proteus create a 16*8bit RAM with D flip flops?

Proteus has a built-in library of digital logic components, including D flip flops. Users can simply drag and drop these components onto the design workspace and connect them together to create a logic circuit. Proteus also has a simulation feature that allows users to test and debug their circuits before implementation.

5. What are the advantages of using Proteus for creating a 16*8bit RAM with D flip flops?

Proteus offers a user-friendly interface, a vast library of electronic components, and a powerful simulation feature that helps save time and resources in the design and testing process. It also allows for easy modifications and changes to the circuit design, making it a versatile tool for scientists and engineers.