Prove 1 - 1: Prove Functions are 1 - 1

• MHB
  • Thread starter JProgrammer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functions
In summary: This is because the formula for $f$ says $(-x)^2$, but later you consider $-(x-1)^2$. Whether $f$ is 1-1 depends on the answer.
JProgrammer
So I have to either prove that these functions are 1 - 1 or show a counter example to prove they are not. I believe that I have proven that these functions are 1 - 1, but I am not 100% sure:

For each of the following functions, either prove that the function is 1 – 1 or find a counterexample to show that the function is not 1 – 1.
F:R→R
F(x)={(x^2 for x≥0@〖-x〗^2 for x≤0)┤

This function is 1 -1

(x + 1)^2 = x^2 + x +1
-(x – 1)^2 = x^2 – 2x + 1
x^2 + x +1≠ x^2 – 2x + 1

F:Z→Z
F(n)={(n-1 for n even@n^3 for n odd)┤

This function is 1 – 1.

(n + 2) – 1
(n + 2)^3

n^3+6 n^2+12 n+8 ≠ n+1

Is my work sufficient for proving that the functions are 1 - 1? If not, how would I prove that they are 1 - 1? Or am I completely wrong and the functions are not 1 -1?

Physics news on Phys.org
JProgrammer said:
F:R→R
F(x)={(x^2 for x≥0@〖-x〗^2 for x≤0)
So
\[
f(x)=
\begin{cases}
x^2,&x\ge0\\
(-x)^2,&x\le0
\end{cases}
\]
Are you sure the second line is not $-x^2$ when $x<0$?

JProgrammer said:
This function is 1 -1

(x + 1)^2 = x^2 + x +1
-(x – 1)^2 = x^2 – 2x + 1
x^2 + x +1≠ x^2 – 2x + 1
Why are you considering $(x+1)^2$ and $-(x-1)^2$? What do these expressions have to do with $f$ and the definition of 1-1 function? By the way, $-(x – 1)^2 = x^2 – 2x + 1$ is incorrect.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
So
\[
f(x)=
\begin{cases}
x^2,&x\ge0\\
(-x)^2,&x\le0
\end{cases}
\]

Why are you considering $(x+1)^2$ and $-(x-1)^2$? What do these expressions have to do with $f$ and the definition of 1-1 function? By the way, $-(x – 1)^2 = x^2 – 2x + 1$ is incorrect.

I chose x + 1 because x needs to be greater than or equal to 0. I chose x - 1 because x needs to be less than or equal to zero.

JProgrammer said:
I chose x + 1 because x needs to be greater than or equal to 0. I chose x - 1 because x needs to be less than or equal to zero.
Sorry, this makes no sense. First, $x+1$ is not guaranteed to be positive: take $x=-2$ for example. Second, mathematics is all about precision in using definitions and in following the rules of proof. The concept of 1-1 function is not a metaphor; it's a precise statement. Namely, $f$ is 1-1 if for all $x_1$ and $x_2$, the fact that $f(x_1)=f(x_2)$ implies $x_1=x_2$. A proof of statements starting with "For all $z$" usually starts with "Consider an arbitrary $z$". In this case, you consider arbitrary $x_1$ and $x_2$. You are not allowed to assume whether they are positive; they are arbitrary. (The only restriction is that $x_1$, $x_2$ are in the domain of $f$, but here the domain is $\mathbb{R}$, so there is no restriction on $x_1$ and $x_2$.)

After you cut off "For all $x_1$ and $x_2$", the remaining statement is: "the fact that $f(x_1)=f(x_2)$ implies $x_1=x_2$". A proof of "If $A$, then $B$" proceeds as follows: one assumes $A$ and uses it to prove $B$. Here you assume $f(x_1)=f(x_2)$. From there, you need to prove $x_1=x_2$.

Also, please answer the question from post #2:
Evgeny.Makarov said:
This is because the formula for $f$ says $(-x)^2$, but later you consider $-(x-1)^2$. Whether $f$ is 1-1 depends on the answer.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
Sorry, this makes no sense. First, $x+1$ is not guaranteed to be positive: take $x=-2$ for example. Second, mathematics is all about precision in using definitions and in following the rules of proof. The concept of 1-1 function is not a metaphor; it's a precise statement. Namely, $f$ is 1-1 if for all $x_1$ and $x_2$, the fact that $f(x_1)=f(x_2)$ implies $x_1=x_2$. A proof of statements starting with "For all $z$" usually starts with "Consider an arbitrary $z$". In this case, you consider arbitrary $x_1$ and $x_2$. You are not allowed to assume whether they are positive; they are arbitrary. (The only restriction is that $x_1$, $x_2$ are in the domain of $f$, but here the domain is $\mathbb{R}$, so there is no restriction on $x_1$ and $x_2$.)

After you cut off "For all $x_1$ and $x_2$", the remaining statement is: "the fact that $f(x_1)=f(x_2)$ implies $x_1=x_2$". A proof of "If $A$, then $B$" proceeds as follows: one assumes $A$ and uses it to prove $B$. Here you assume $f(x_1)=f(x_2)$. From there, you need to prove $x_1=x_2$.

Also, please answer the question from post #2:
This is because the formula for $f$ says $(-x)^2$, but later you consider $-(x-1)^2$. Whether $f$ is 1-1 depends on the answer.

Do you mean could x possibly be negative? No it cannot be negative. If x is plugged in as negative, then the other negative will cancel it out. If x is plugged in as a positive, even though there is a negative in front of the x, it will be squared to be a positive.

It's best not to overquote.

JProgrammer said:
Do you mean could x possibly be negative?
No, the question was "Are you sure the second line is not $−x^2$ when $x<0$?". It was not whether $x$ is negative or positive; it's about the formula used in the problem. Is it $-x^2$ or $(-x)^2$ on the second line of the definition of $f$, i.e., when $x<0$? The answer to the problem depends on this. I am asking because your original question uses $(-x)^2$, but in the solution you are using -(x – 1)^2, which supposedly is the result of substituting $x-1$ into $-x^2$ (though this substitution makes no sense in this context).

Evgeny.Makarov said:
It's best not to overquote.

No, the question was "Are you sure the second line is not $−x^2$ when $x<0$?". It was not whether $x$ is negative or positive; it's about the formula used in the problem. Is it $-x^2$ or $(-x)^2$ on the second line of the definition of $f$, i.e., when $x<0$? The answer to the problem depends on this. I am asking because your original question uses $(-x)^2$, but in the solution you are using -(x – 1)^2, which supposedly is the result of substituting $x-1$ into $-x^2$ (though this substitution makes no sense in this context).

It is (-x^2).

Then the first function is indeed 1-1. You can start proving it as described in post #4.

Related to Prove 1 - 1: Prove Functions are 1 - 1

1. What does it mean for a function to be 1-1?

A function is 1-1 if each element in the domain is mapped to a unique element in the range. This means that for every input, there is only one possible output. In other words, no two different inputs can have the same output.

2. How do you prove that a function is 1-1?

To prove that a function is 1-1, you can use the horizontal line test. Draw a horizontal line on the graph of the function and if it intersects the graph at more than one point, then the function is not 1-1. Another way to prove it is by using algebraic methods, such as showing that each x-value has a unique y-value when solving for the function.

3. Can a function be both 1-1 and onto?

Yes, a function can be both 1-1 and onto. A function that is both 1-1 and onto is called a bijection. This means that each element in the range is mapped to by exactly one element in the domain, and each element in the domain is mapped to by exactly one element in the range.

4. What is the difference between a 1-1 function and a many-to-one function?

A 1-1 function is a function where each element in the domain is mapped to a unique element in the range. A many-to-one function, on the other hand, is a function where multiple elements in the domain can be mapped to the same element in the range. In other words, a many-to-one function is not 1-1.

5. Why is it important to prove that a function is 1-1?

Proving that a function is 1-1 is important because it ensures that each input has a unique output, which is necessary for certain mathematical operations and calculations. It also allows us to accurately describe the relationship between the elements in the domain and range of the function.

Back