Prove 1+8x-12x^3+2x^4 irreducible over Q[x]

• Thread starter faradayslaw
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of determining whether the polynomial 1+8x-12x^3+2x^4 is irreducible over Q[x]. The attempt at a solution involves using Gauss's Lemma and the Eisenstein Criterion, but the latter does not seem applicable at first. However, a suggestion is made to consider the polynomial b(x) = x^4*g(1/x), which can then be used with the Eisenstein Criterion to prove irreducibility over Q[x].
faradayslaw

Homework Statement

Determine if 1+8x-12x^3+2x^4 irreducible over Q[x]

Homework Equations

Gauss's Lemma, Eisenstein Criterion

The Attempt at a Solution

If we multiply g(x)=1+8x-12x^3+2x^4 by 2^3, and then make the substitution y=(2*x), we recover a monic polynomial: h(y) = 8+32y-12y^3+y^4, but Eisenstein does not apply. h(y+/-1) doesn't help either. h(y) is of fourth degree, so it doesn't even suffice to check for absence of roots. But, I do know that if irreducibility in Z is shown, irreducibility over Q follows, for suppose such an f(x) is reducible over Q. Then, by Gauss's Lemma, there exists a nontrivial factorization of f(x) over Z into monic polynomials, but if f(x) is irreducible over Z, this is a contradiction. Thus, f(x) must be irreducible over Q.

Still, I have tried many things, so any help is appereciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure h(y+/-1) doesn't satisfy Eisenstein's criterion? It sure looks like they do to me.

Thanks for the reply:

The constant term in h(y+1) is 29, a prime, and 29|\ all other coefficients. That of h(y-1) is 11, another prime which does not divide any other coefficeints. Thus, I don't think we can use Eisenstein Criterion.

However, if we consider b(x) = x^4*g(1/x) we obtain: b(x) = 2 -12x + 8x^3 + x^4, and we can use Eisenstein with p=2 here QED

faradayslaw said:
Thanks for the reply:

The constant term in h(y+1) is 29, a prime, and 29|\ all other coefficients. That of h(y-1) is 11, another prime which does not divide any other coefficeints. Thus, I don't think we can use Eisenstein Criterion.

However, if we consider b(x) = x^4*g(1/x) we obtain: b(x) = 2 -12x + 8x^3 + x^4, and we can use Eisenstein with p=2 here QED

You're right. I misremembered the Eisenstein Criterion. And, yeah, that's a good idea!

Related to Prove 1+8x-12x^3+2x^4 irreducible over Q[x]

1. What does it mean for a polynomial to be irreducible over Q[x]?

A polynomial is irreducible over Q[x] if it cannot be factored into two polynomials of lower degree with coefficients in the field of rational numbers (Q). In other words, the polynomial cannot be broken down into simpler factors.

2. How can you prove that 1+8x-12x^3+2x^4 is irreducible over Q[x]?

One way to prove that a polynomial is irreducible over Q[x] is by using the rational root theorem, which states that any rational roots (roots that can be expressed as a fraction) of a polynomial with integer coefficients must be of the form p/q, where p is a factor of the constant term and q is a factor of the leading coefficient. In this case, the constant term is 1 and the leading coefficient is 2, and after checking all possible rational roots, we can conclude that there are no rational roots and therefore the polynomial is irreducible over Q[x].

3. What role does the degree of a polynomial play in determining its irreducibility over Q[x]?

The degree of a polynomial is important in determining its irreducibility over Q[x] because a polynomial of degree n can be irreducible over Q[x] if and only if it has no linear factors, no quadratic factors, and so on up to no (n-1)th degree factors. So in the case of 1+8x-12x^3+2x^4, which is a fourth degree polynomial, it only needs to be checked for linear, quadratic, and cubic factors to determine its irreducibility.

4. Can a polynomial be irreducible over Q[x] but reducible over other fields?

Yes, a polynomial can be irreducible over Q[x] but reducible over other fields. For example, the polynomial x^2+1 is irreducible over Q[x] but can be factored into (x+i)(x-i) over the field of complex numbers. This is because the rational root theorem only applies to polynomials with rational coefficients.

5. Are there any other methods for proving the irreducibility of a polynomial over Q[x]?

Yes, there are other methods for proving the irreducibility of a polynomial over Q[x]. These include the Eisenstein's criterion, which states that if a polynomial has a prime number as its leading coefficient, all other coefficients are divisible by that prime, and the constant term is not divisible by the square of that prime, then the polynomial is irreducible over Q[x]. Another method is the reducibility test, which involves checking for certain patterns or symmetries in the polynomial's coefficients.