Prove 7.81: Contour Integration for Schaum's Outline Series

• MHB
  • Thread starter alyafey22
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, the problem asks for a solution to a differential equation involving the function sin(x), which has a pole at x=0. The problem states that the solution can be found by contour integration, but the user notes that the first contour may not work due to the poles on the imaginary axis. However, they find a second contour that avoids the poles. Integration of the function along this contour results in the following residue theorem expressions for the imaginary parts of the integrals along the four contour segments. The imaginary parts of these expressions all add up to -1, and the final result is that sin(x) has a pole at x=0.
alyafey22
Gold Member
MHB
Here is a problem from Schaum's Outline Series

7.81. Prove that

\(\displaystyle \int^{\infty}_0 \frac{\sin(ax)}{e^{2 \pi x}-1} \,dx = \frac{1}{4} \coth\left( \frac{a}{2} \right) - \frac{1}{2a}\)

I found a solution http://www.mathhelpboards.com/f28/another-integral-5278/#post24397but it is not general , I assumed that \(\displaystyle |a| < 2 \pi \) but there seemed no restriction in the wording of the problem .

This thread will be dedicated to prove the result using contour integration , any comments or replies are always welcomed .

Physics news on Phys.org
I am considering integrating the following function

\(\displaystyle f(z) = \frac{e^{iaz}}{e^{2 \pi z}-1}\)

along one of the contours below

View attachment 951

Hopefully one of the contours will work out .

Attachments

• two contours.PNG
    two contours.PNG
    2.6 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
ZaidAlyafey said:

\(\displaystyle f(z) = \frac{e^{iz}}{e^{2 \pi z}-1}\)

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/951

I am unclear on the second contour. The limits on the integration are on the whole positive real axis. The second contour has no such line segment?

-Dan

ZaidAlyafey said:

\(\displaystyle f(z) = \frac{e^{iz}}{e^{2 \pi z}-1}\)

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/951

And I think you're going to have problems with the first one as well. Typically, you want to let something get really big. However, the integrand has poles on the imaginary axis every integer multiple of $i$. So you're going to have to find a way to skirt all of those poles. Maybe that's pretty straight-forward, but then again, maybe not.

Or am I misunderstanding your contour? Are you only going to let the real axis part and the corresponding return get big, and not the imaginary axis as well?

topsquark said:
I am unclear on the second contour. The limits on the integration are on the whole positive real axis. The second contour has no such line segment?

-Dan
I made a mistake in the function there is an '' a'' missing it should be

\(\displaystyle f(z) = \frac{e^{i a z}}{e^{2 \pi z}-1}\)

When we integrate the function along the line \(\displaystyle z = t+i \) where \(\displaystyle 0<t<R\)

\(\displaystyle -\int^R_0 \frac{e^{ia(t+i )}}{e^{2 \pi (t+i)}-1}\, dt = -e^{-a t} \int^R_0 \frac{e^{iat }}{e^{2 \pi t}-1} \, dt\)

very much like the integral we are looking for by taking the imaginary part and $R\to \infty $.

- - - Updated - - -

Ackbach said:
And I think you're going to have problems with the first one as well. Typically, you want to let something get really big. However, the integrand has poles on the imaginary axis every integer multiple of $i$. So you're going to have to find a way to skirt all of those poles. Maybe that's pretty straight-forward, but then again, maybe not.

Or am I misunderstanding your contour? Are you only going to let the real axis part and the corresponding return get big, and not the imaginary axis as well?

I am only taking \(\displaystyle R \to \infty \) so the contour will only expand on the x-axis .

ZaidAlyafey said:

\(\displaystyle f(z) = \frac{e^{iaz}}{e^{2 \pi z}-1}\)

View attachment 953

I thought about using that rectanglar contour, but it seemed too difficult, what with the poles at the corners. However, if you avoid them by going round the little green quadrants as you suggest, everything works out well. Labelling the straight lines in the contour as above, and calling the corresponding integrals $I_1,\ldots,I_4$, what we are looking for is the imaginary part of $I_1$. Note that the real part of $I_1$ diverges as $\varepsilon \to0$, where $\varepsilon$ is the radius of the quadrant. The integral along $C_2$ goes to $0$ as $R\to\infty$, so we can ignore that. The integral $I_3$ will be $-e^{-a}I_1$.

The integrals round the quadrants will be given by the residue theorem. In fact, each of them goes one-quarter clockwise round the pole, so each integral will be $-\frac14$ of $2\pi i$ times the residue. The residues at $0$ and $i$ are $1/(2\pi)$ and $e^{-a}/(2\pi)$, so their combined contribution to the integral is $-\frac i4(1+e^{-a}).$ There are no poles inside the contour, so putting everything together, we see that $$(1-e^{-a})I_1 - \frac i4(1+e^{-a}) + I_4 = 0.$$ That leaves the difficult part, namely $I_4.$ To evaluate that, put $z=iy$ to see that $$I_4 = \int_{1-\varepsilon}^{\varepsilon} \frac{e^{-ay}}{e^{2\pi iy}-1}\,\frac{dy}i = \int_{\varepsilon}^{1-\varepsilon} \frac{e^{-ay}e^{-i\pi y}}{2\sin(\pi y)}\,dy = \int_{\varepsilon}^{1-\varepsilon} \frac{e^{-ay}\bigl(\cos(\pi y) - i\sin(\pi y)\bigr)}{2\sin(\pi y)}\,dy.$$ That looks impossibly complicated. But now remember that we are only interested in the imaginary part of the integral! – which miraculously simplifies (as $\varepsilon\to0$) to \(\displaystyle -\int_0^1 \tfrac12e^{-ay}dy = \frac1{2a}(e^{-a}-1).\) Therefore $$(1-e^{-a})\int_0^\infty \frac{\sin(ax)}{e^{2 \pi x}-1}\,dx - \frac 14(1+e^{-a}) + \frac1{2a}(e^{-a}-1) = 0,$$ from which $$\int_0^\infty \frac{\sin(ax)}{e^{2 \pi x}-1}\,dx = \frac{1+e^{-a}}{4(1-e^{-a})} + \frac1{2a} = \frac14\coth\Bigl(\frac a2\Bigr) + \frac1{2a}.$$

Somewhere along the line I seem to have mislaid a minus sign, and my solution has the wrong sign for the final term. But I can't see where that happened.

Attachments

• contour.png
    contour.png
    1.5 KB · Views: 67
Hey Oplag , my only difficulty was the integral along the y-axis I didnot think of taking the imaginary part .I thougt I made a mistake somewhere .actually the integral as a whole will diverge only the imaginary part will converge.

FAQ: Prove 7.81: Contour Integration for Schaum's Outline Series

1. What is contour integration?

Contour integration is a mathematical technique used to evaluate integrals of complex functions along a path in the complex plane. It is closely related to the fundamental theorem of calculus.

2. Why is contour integration useful?

Contour integration allows us to solve integrals that may be difficult or impossible to solve using other methods. It also has applications in physics, engineering, and other fields.

3. What is the "Prove 7.81" theorem in Schaum's Outline Series?

The "Prove 7.81" theorem in Schaum's Outline Series is a specific contour integration theorem that states that if a function is analytic inside and on a simple closed contour, then the integral of the function along that contour is equal to the sum of the residues of the function inside the contour.

4. How do you prove the "Prove 7.81" theorem?

The "Prove 7.81" theorem is proved using various properties and theorems of complex analysis, such as Cauchy's integral theorem and the residue theorem. A rigorous proof involves breaking the contour into small segments and integrating each segment separately, then using the residue theorem to find the sum of the residues inside the contour.

5. What are some common applications of contour integration?

Contour integration has many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. Some common applications include solving integrals in complex analysis, evaluating certain types of improper integrals, and finding solutions to differential equations using the Laplace transform.