Prove a given number is an odd integer

• MHB
  • Thread starter anemone
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integer
In summary, we are trying to prove that the number of 5 positive integers satisfying the given equation is an odd integer. However, upon further inspection of the problem, it appears that there may be a mistake in the equation given. As it currently reads, the result would be false.
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Prove that the product of 5 positive integers $(p,\,q,\,r,\,s,\,t)$ satisfying the equation $pqrst=5(qrst+prst+pqst+pqrt+pqrs)$ is an odd integer.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
anemone said:
Prove that the product of 5 positive integers $(p,\,q,\,r,\,s,\,t)$ satisfying the equation $pqrst=5(qrst+prst+pqst+pqrt+pqrs)$ is an odd integer.
Should there be some extra condition here? If not, I think that the result is false.

Suppose that $p=q=r=20$ and $s=t=40$. Then $$\frac1p + \frac1q + \frac1r + \frac1s + \frac1t = \frac1{20} + \frac1{20} + \frac1{20} + \frac1{40} + \frac1{40} = \frac4{20} = \frac15.$$ Multiply out the fractions to see that $pqrst=5(qrst+prst+pqst+pqrt+pqrs)$. But each of the integers $p,q,r,s,t$ is even, and so is their product.

I am so so sorry for the late response, Opalg! I can explain:eek:...I was very busy celebrating Chinese New Year with my family and relatives in the past few days. Sorry...

I checked and argh! I typed the problem wrongly:mad:, I am deeply sorry about that...the problem should read as follow:

Prove that the number of 5 positive integers $(p,\,q,\,r,\,s,\,t)$ satisfying the equation $pqrst=5(qrst+prst+pqst+pqrt+pqrs)$ is an odd integer.

Solution of other:

We rewrite the given equation as

$\dfrac{1}{p}+\dfrac{1}{q}+\dfrac{1}{r}+\dfrac{1}{s}+\dfrac{1}{t}=\dfrac{1}{5}$

The number of five positive integers $(p,\,q,\,r,\,s,\,t)$ which satisfy the given relation and for which $p\ne q$ is even, because for if $(p,\,q,\,r,\,s,\,t)$ is a solution, then so is $(q,\,p,\,r,\,s,\,t)$ which is distinct from $(p,\,q,\,r,\,s,\,t)$.

Similarly the number of five positive integers which satisfy the equation and for which $r\ne s$ is also even.

Hence, it sufices to count only those five positive integers $(p,\,q,\,r,\,s,\,t)$ for which $p=q$ and $r=s$. Thus the equation reduces to

$\dfrac{2}{p}+\dfrac{2}{r}+\dfrac{1}{t}=\dfrac{1}{5}$

Here again $(p,\,p,\,r,\,r,\,t)$ for which $p\ne r$ is even.

Thus, it suffices to consider the equation

$\dfrac{4}{p}+\dfrac{1}{t}=\dfrac{1}{5}$

and show that the number of pairs $(p,\,t)$ satisfying this equation is odd.

This reduces to

$pt=20t+5p$

$(p-20)(t-5)=100$

Observe that

$100=1\times 100=2\times 50=4\times 25=5\times 20=10\times 10=20\times 5=25\times 4=50\times 2=100\times 1$

Note that no factorization of 100 as product of two negative numbers yield a positive pairs $(p,\,t)$.

Hence we get these 9 solutions. This proves that the total number of five positive integers $(p,\,q,\,r,\,s,\,t)$ satifying the given equation is odd.

FAQ: Prove a given number is an odd integer

1. What is an odd integer?

An odd integer is a whole number that cannot be divided evenly by 2. This means that when you divide an odd integer by 2, you will always have a remainder of 1.

2. How can you prove that a number is an odd integer?

To prove that a number is an odd integer, you can use the division method. Divide the number by 2 and if the remainder is 1, then the number is odd. Another way is to check if the number ends in an odd digit, such as 1, 3, 5, 7, or 9.

3. Can a negative number be an odd integer?

Yes, a negative number can be an odd integer. As long as the number cannot be divided evenly by 2, it is considered an odd integer. This includes negative numbers.

4. What are some examples of odd integers?

Some examples of odd integers include -5, 13, 27, and 99. Any whole number that cannot be divided evenly by 2 is an odd integer.

5. Why is it important to be able to prove if a number is an odd integer?

Proving if a number is an odd integer is important in many mathematical and scientific fields. It allows us to understand patterns and relationships between numbers, and it also helps us solve problems and make calculations more efficiently.