Prove A is invertable for all values of theta

• MHB
  • Thread starter delgeezee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theta
In summary, to prove that matrix A is invertible for all values of $\theta$, we can show that its determinant is nonzero, which holds for all real values of $\theta$. Additionally, we can also use geometric considerations to find its inverse, which in this case is equal to $A(-\theta)$.
delgeezee
Show that matrix A is invertible for all values of \(\displaystyle \theta\); then find \(\displaystyle A^{-1}\) using
\(\displaystyle A^{-1}= \frac{1}{det(A)}adj(A)\)

A =
cos\(\displaystyle \theta\)-sin\(\displaystyle \theta\)0
sin\(\displaystyle \theta\)cos\(\displaystyle \theta\)0

----------

By cofactoring along the 3rd row, I find det(A) = (1)*(\(\displaystyle cos^2\theta + sin^2\theta\)) =1 , which is a nonzero and implies that A is invertible.
To get the Andjuct of A or Adj(A) , I form a cofactor matrix C and transpose it.

Adj(A) = \(\displaystyle C^{T}\) =

A =
cos\(\displaystyle \theta\)sin\(\displaystyle \theta\)0
-sin\(\displaystyle \theta\)cos\(\displaystyle \theta\)0

which also happens to be \(\displaystyle A^{-1}\)
My Question is how am I suppose to prove A is invertible for all Values of \(\displaystyle /theta\)?

My gut tells me I am suppose to state that \(\displaystyle A^{-1}= \frac{1}{det(A)}adj(A)\) does not depend on \(\displaystyle \theta\). Is there a more definitive way of showing A is invertible for all Values of \(\displaystyle \theta\)?

Physics news on Phys.org
delgeezee said:
My Question is how am I suppose to prove A is invertible for all Values of \(\displaystyle /theta\)?

You found that [tex]\det(A) \ne 0[/tex]. That's all you need to do.

I agree that you've done enough, but to show that the determinant is non-zero for all $\theta$, I would say something along the lines of the following.

$\forall \theta \in \mathbb{R}$ it follows that $\sin (\theta ) \text{ and} \cos( \theta ) \in \mathbb{R}$. Every element in $A$ is in $\mathbb{R}$ so operations involving those elements are also in $\mathbb{R}$ and the result you found holds for all $\theta$.

Not the best wording maybe, but that's the general idea.

delgeezee said:

My gut tells me I am suppose to state that \(\displaystyle A^{-1}= \frac{1}{det(A)}adj(A)\) does not depend on \(\displaystyle \theta\). Is there a more definitive way of showing A is invertible for all Values of \(\displaystyle \theta\)?
$A^{-1}= \begin{bmatrix}\cos\theta & \sin\theta &0 \\ -\sin\theta & \cos\theta & 0 \\ 0&0&1 \end{bmatrix}$, which does depend on $\theta$. But $\det A=1$, and the constant $1$ is nonzero and does not depend on $\theta$. That is all you need, to conclude that $A$ is invertible for all $\theta.$

delgeezee said:
Show that matrix A is invertible for all values of \(\displaystyle \theta\); then find \(\displaystyle A^{-1}\) using
\(\displaystyle A^{-1}= \frac{1}{det(A)}adj(A)\)

Another way of finding $A^{-1}$ in this case (I don't know if you have covered it) is to consider $$A(\theta)= \begin{bmatrix}\cos\theta & -\sin\theta &0 \\ \sin\theta & \;\;\cos\theta & 0 \\ 0&0&1 \end{bmatrix}$$ as a rotation around the $z$-axis by angle $\theta$. Then, by geometric considerations $A(\theta)A(-\theta)=A(0)=I$, so $$A^{-1}(\theta)=A(-\theta)=\begin{bmatrix}\cos(-\theta) & -\sin(-\theta) &0 \\ \sin(-\theta) & \;\;\cos(-\theta) & 0 \\ 0&0&1 \end{bmatrix}=\begin{bmatrix}\;\;\cos\theta & \sin\theta &0 \\ -\sin\theta & \cos\theta & 0 \\ 0&0&1 \end{bmatrix}$$

FAQ: Prove A is invertable for all values of theta

What does it mean for A to be invertible?

For a matrix A to be invertible, it must have an inverse matrix that when multiplied together, result in the identity matrix. This means that every element in A has a unique solution in the inverse matrix.

Why is it important for A to be invertible for all values of theta?

A being invertible for all values of theta ensures that the matrix A is nonsingular and has a unique solution for every value of theta. This is important in various mathematical and scientific applications where the matrix A is involved in calculations and manipulations.

How can you prove that A is invertible for all values of theta?

There are various methods to prove that A is invertible for all values of theta. One way is to show that the determinant of A is not equal to 0 for all values of theta. Another way is to show that A has a unique solution for every value of theta by using the inverse matrix to solve for the solution of A.

What are the consequences if A is not invertible for all values of theta?

If A is not invertible for all values of theta, it means that there are certain values of theta where A becomes singular and has no unique solution. This can lead to incorrect or undefined results in calculations and can affect the accuracy of scientific models and experiments.

Are there any practical applications of proving A is invertible for all values of theta?

Yes, there are many practical applications of proving A is invertible for all values of theta. Some examples include using inverse matrices to solve systems of equations, calculating the probability of events in statistics, and analyzing data in various fields such as economics, physics, and engineering.