Prove a Laplace Transform Equality

In summary: The above theorem says that the Laplacian operator is a continuous function of space and time, and that it has a limit as t → 0+ in the region where f(t) is continuous. This allows us to simplify the calculation of the Laplace transform:Theorem: Suppose ##f(t)## is piecewise continuous and of exponential order. By exponential order, I mean there exists a constant ##\alpha## such that ##e^{- \alpha t} |f(t)| \to 0## as ##t \to \infty##.Then, the Laplace transform of ##f(t)## is given by:$$\mathcal{L} =
Italo Campoli

Homework Statement

Prove that http://www4f.wolframalpha.com/Calculate/MSP/MSP26931c1531g07285beh7000062h7f6g1ggd95eea?MSPStoreType=image/gif&s=5&w=98.&h=38. =http://www4f.wolframalpha.com/Calculate/MSP/MSP6901c153574d0bdbh20000048829f0g4d1fi1d0?MSPStoreType=image/gif&s=5&w=69.&h=35.

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the Def of Laplace i got to ∫[e ^ -st - e ^ -t(s-1)] / t dt ; of course with limits from 0 to infinite

tryed then to do a variable change of w = st but i got inmmerse on a huge process of solving

∫{ [e ^ -w . e ^ (1/s-1)w] / w/s } dw/s , i know that the change was wrong from that point and i have been trying to solve it for parts or another change but haven't got across any luck with that so far

Id appreciate some help or any advice in how to proceed from that point, its the only problem left to finish my homework and its driving me crazy :S

Side Note: i haven´t seen yet Inverse Laplace, but a fellow Math Degree friend told me that using that i might solve it pretty easy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Italo Campoli said:

Homework Statement

Prove that http://www4f.wolframalpha.com/Calculate/MSP/MSP26931c1531g07285beh7000062h7f6g1ggd95eea?MSPStoreType=image/gif&s=5&w=98.&h=38. =http://www4f.wolframalpha.com/Calculate/MSP/MSP6901c153574d0bdbh20000048829f0g4d1fi1d0?MSPStoreType=image/gif&s=5&w=69.&h=35.

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the Def of Laplace i got to ∫[e ^ -st - e ^ -t(s-1)] / t dt ; of course with limits from 0 to infinite

I would first check your algebra in multiplying e-st by e-t / t

Last edited by a moderator:
You don't have to use the formal definition of a Laplace transform because there is a theorem that will greatly simplify the calculation.

Theorem: Suppose ##f(t)## is piecewise continuous and of exponential order. By exponential order, I mean there exists a constant ##\alpha## such that ##e^{- \alpha t} |f(t)| \to 0## as ##t \to \infty##.

Suppose further ##\mathcal{L} \{ f(t) \} = F(s)## for ##s > c \geq 0##, and ##\displaystyle \lim_{t \to 0^+} \frac{f(t)}{t}## exists. Then:

$$\mathcal{L} \left \{ \frac{f(t)}{t} \right \} = \int_s^{\infty} F(x) \space dx, \quad s > c$$

Likes Italo Campoli

Related to Prove a Laplace Transform Equality

1. What is a Laplace Transform?

A Laplace Transform is a mathematical tool used to convert a function from the time domain to the frequency domain. It allows for the analysis and manipulation of complex signals and systems in a simpler and more efficient manner.

2. How do you prove a Laplace Transform equality?

To prove a Laplace Transform equality, you must show that the two functions being compared have the same Laplace Transform. This can be done by using the properties and theorems of Laplace Transforms, such as linearity, time-shifting, and frequency-shifting.

3. Why is proving Laplace Transform equality important?

Proving Laplace Transform equality is important because it allows for the verification of mathematical relationships and theorems. It also provides a way to simplify complex functions and solve differential equations, making it a valuable tool in many scientific fields.

4. What are some common properties of Laplace Transforms?

Some common properties of Laplace Transforms include linearity, time-shifting, frequency-shifting, convolution, and initial value and final value theorems. These properties allow for the manipulation and simplification of functions in the frequency domain.

5. Can Laplace Transform equality be proven using other methods?

Yes, Laplace Transform equality can be proven using other methods, such as integration and partial fraction decomposition. However, using Laplace Transform properties and theorems is often the most efficient and straightforward approach.