Prove a linear mapping of a polynomial function is a map

In summary: I was thinking of a matrix representation, which would be ##\Delta(P_1 + P_2) = \Delta(P_1) + \Delta(P_2)##. But since we're dealing with functions, we need to specify that the equality holds for all values of x.
sa1988

Homework Statement

The bane of all physicists... 'Proof' questions...

So we have the mapping,

Δ : P3→P3
Δ[P(x)] = (x2-1) d2P/dx2 + x dP/dx

And I need to prove that this is a linear mapping

Homework Equations

Linear maps must satisfy:
Δ[P(x+y)] = Δ[P(x)] + Δ[P(y)]
and
Δ[P(αx)] - αΔ[P(x)]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure what to do. I've tried working through the actual mapping, performing the differential operations on the polynomial:
ax3+bx2+cx+d
and on:
a(x+y)3+b(x+y)2+c(x+y)+d
then expanded the brackets to see if I could separate the x and y terms to show that it's possible to pull them apart and demonstrate equality with Δ[P(x)] + Δ[P(y)]
But it doesn't work. My best bet is that I've done something wrong regarding the part where I need to do
d2P/d(x+y)2. I've never really had to work in that way before. Maybe I've gone wrong completely.

Any advice?

Thanks! :oldsmile:

Physics news on Phys.org
sa1988 said:

Homework Statement

So we have the mapping,

Δ : P3→P3
Δ[P(x)] = (x2-1) d2P/dx2 + x dP/dx

And I need to prove that this is a linear mapping

Homework Equations

Linear maps must satisfy:
Δ[P(x+y)] = Δ[P(x)] + Δ[P(y)]
The above isn't right.
It should be Δ[P(x) + P(y)] = Δ[P(x)] + Δ[P(y)]
IOW, the Δ map carries a sum of functions to the sum of the transformations of the functions.
sa1988 said:
and
Δ[P(αx)] - αΔ[P(x)]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure what to do. I've tried working through the actual mapping, performing the differential operations on the polynomial:
ax3+bx2+cx+d
and on:
a(x+y)3+b(x+y)2+c(x+y)+d
then expanded the brackets to see if I could separate the x and y terms to show that it's possible to pull them apart and demonstrate equality with Δ[P(x)] + Δ[P(y)]
But it doesn't work. My best bet is that I've done something wrong regarding the part where I need to do
dP2/d(x+y)2. I've never really had to work in that way before. Maybe I've gone wrong completely.

Any advice?

Thanks! :oldsmile:

Likes sa1988
Mark44 said:
The above isn't right.
IOW, the Δ map carries a sum of functions to the sum of the transformations of the functions.

Bingo, you've got it. I remember now.

Such a little thing - thanks for pointing it out!

Taking the differential on ## P(x) = Ax^3 + Bx^2 + Cx + D ## should give:
##\Delta P(x) = (x^2-1)(6Ax+2B)+x(3Ax^2+2Bx+C) = 9Ax^3 +4Bx^2+(C-6A)x-2B##
As Mark pointed out, you want to compare two polynomials ##P_1(x) = ax^3 + bx^2 + cx + d## and ##P_2(x) = hx^3 + ix^2 + jx + k##, not polynomials of different variables.
This should make sense, because a polynomial of greater than first order is known to not be a linear function.

Likes sa1988
Mark44 said:
The above isn't right.

Shouldn't that be ##\Delta [P_1(x) + P_2(x)] = \Delta P_1(x) + \Delta P_2(x) \: \forall x##?

Ray Vickson said:
Shouldn't that be ##\Delta [P_1(x) + P_2(x)] = \Delta P_1(x) + \Delta P_2(x) \: \forall x##?
Now that you mention it, yes...
Thanks for the correction.

Related to Prove a linear mapping of a polynomial function is a map

What does it mean to prove a linear mapping of a polynomial function?

Proving a linear mapping of a polynomial function means showing that the function follows the rules of linearity, which include properties such as the function being additive and homogeneous.

What is the purpose of proving a linear mapping of a polynomial function?

The purpose of proving a linear mapping of a polynomial function is to demonstrate that the function is a valid map that can be used to model real-world situations and make accurate predictions.

What are the key steps in proving a linear mapping of a polynomial function?

The key steps in proving a linear mapping of a polynomial function include showing that the function is additive, meaning that f(x+y) = f(x) + f(y), and homogeneous, meaning that f(kx) = kf(x) for all x and y. Additionally, it is important to show that the function preserves scalar multiplication and the zero vector.

What is the difference between a linear mapping and a non-linear mapping?

A linear mapping is a function that follows the rules of linearity, while a non-linear mapping does not. Non-linear mappings may exhibit behaviors such as exponential growth or decay, while linear mappings have a constant rate of change.

How can I determine if a polynomial function is a linear mapping?

To determine if a polynomial function is a linear mapping, you can check if it follows the properties of linearity, including additivity, homogeneity, and preservation of scalar multiplication and the zero vector. You can also graph the function and see if it has a constant rate of change.