Prove a proposition using natural deduction

• Thread starter gaobo9109
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Natural
In summary, the problem is to prove p⇒¬q,q∨r⊢p⇒r using the rule of natural deduction. The suggested approach is to start by opening a Conditional Proof with hypothesis p, and then using Modus Ponens to get ¬q. From there, the rules vary depending on the specific set being used.
gaobo9109

Homework Statement

p⇒¬q,q∨r⊢p⇒r, prove this using rule of natural deducton

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My approach is this.

1.Prove that qvr⊢¬q⇒r.
2.Assume p
3.By modus ponen, p⇒r

But the problem I face is how to prove step 1.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't even know what natural deduction is, so this may not be helpful. I had a quick glance at the Wikipedia page on natural deduction, and it gave me the impression that it's not about following the rules of some proof theory (i.e. definition of what a proof is). So can't you just use that ##p\Rightarrow\lnot q## is equivalent to ##q\Rightarrow\lnot p##, and then conclude that this result and ##q\lor r## together imply that ##\lnot p\lor r##?

I suggest you start by opening a Conditional Proof with hypothesis p.
Then you immediately get ¬q by Modus Ponens. Now if you can prove r, you can close the Conditional Proof and get the desired conclusion.

In my set of Natural Deduction rules, I'd use Disjunctive Syllogism (DS) inside the Conditional Proof to get the result in your line 1, and then apply Modus Ponens to prove r.

But you may be using a different set of rules. There is no ISO listing of Natural Deduction rules. You need to use the rules your text allows, and if asking a question about a problem under those rules, you need to list the rules.

Here is the set I like: http://www.philosophy.ed.ac.uk/undergraduate/documents/Natural_deduction_rules_propositional.pdf

Alternatively, if you use the following set, you have your line 1 ready-made as a Replacement Rule ('Material Implication'): http://www.mathpath.org/proof/proof.inference.htm

Related to Prove a proposition using natural deduction

What is natural deduction?

Natural deduction is a method of reasoning in logic that uses a set of rules to prove the validity of a statement or proposition.

How does natural deduction work?

Natural deduction works by breaking down a statement or proposition into smaller, more easily provable parts using a set of logical rules. These smaller parts are then combined to prove the original statement or proposition.

What are the basic rules of natural deduction?

The basic rules of natural deduction include rules for conjunction, disjunction, negation, implication, and universal and existential quantifiers. These rules determine how different logical connectives and quantifiers can be used to prove a statement or proposition.

What is the difference between a proof and a derivation in natural deduction?

In natural deduction, a proof is the end result of applying the rules to prove a statement or proposition, while a derivation is the step-by-step process of applying the rules to arrive at the proof.

What are the benefits of using natural deduction in logic?

Natural deduction allows for a systematic and rigorous approach to proving the validity of a statement or proposition. It also provides a clear and intuitive way of reasoning about complex logical statements.