Prove an infinite sum exists and its sum

So your observation about the partial sums is a good starting point, but you need to show that the limit exists and is equal to a_1.
B3NR4Y
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Let {b k } be a sequence of positive numbers. Assume that there exists a sequence {a k}, such that a k is greater than or equal to 0 for all k, a_k is decreasing, the limit of a_k is 0 and b_k = a_k - a _(k+1). Show that the sum from k=1 to infinity of b k exists and equals a_1

Homework Equations

Not really any I can think of

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how to prove this. The sum of b_k has two parts that both go to zero, but I can think of an a_k that satisfies all those properties but doesn't converge (1/k), but if you write out the sum you can clearly see all the terms cancel except the a_1 term.

For example:

Sum of b_k = (a1 - a 2 ) + (a_2-a_3)+(a_3-a_4)+...

Which clearly cancels all the terms except a_1. But this doesn't seem rigoruous enough.(Also sorry for inconsistent subscripts, I'm on my phone)

Physics news on Phys.org
I would start by doing just what you did. Compute the partial sum,
##\sum_{i=1}^{N-1} b_k##
Then show that in the limit as N goes to infinity, you get what you expect.

B3NR4Y said:

Homework Statement

Let {b k } be a sequence of positive numbers. Assume that there exists a sequence {a k}, such that a k is greater than or equal to 0 for all k, a_k is decreasing, the limit of a_k is 0 and b_k = a_k - a _(k+1). Show that the sum from k=1 to infinity of b k exists and equals a_1

Homework Equations

Not really any I can think of

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how to prove this. The sum of b_k has two parts that both go to zero, but I can think of an a_k that satisfies all those properties but doesn't converge (1/k), but if you write out the sum you can clearly see all the terms cancel except the a_1 term.

For example:

Sum of b_k = (a1 - a 2 ) + (a_2-a_3)+(a_3-a_4)+...

Which clearly cancels all the terms except a_1. But this doesn't seem rigoruous enough.(Also sorry for inconsistent subscripts, I'm on my phone)

Don't forget that the infinite sum ##\sum_{i=1}^{\infty} b_i ## is defined as the limit ##\lim_{n \to \infty} \sum_{i=1}^n b_i##. That is, the infinite sum exists if and only if the limit of finite sums exist.

Likes RUber

Related to Prove an infinite sum exists and its sum

1. How do you prove that an infinite sum exists?

To prove that an infinite sum exists, we must show that the sequence of partial sums converges to a finite value. This can be done using various techniques such as the comparison test, root test, or ratio test.

2. What is the significance of proving an infinite sum exists?

Proving that an infinite sum exists is important in various areas of mathematics, including calculus, number theory, and analysis. It allows us to calculate the sum of an infinite series and make predictions about the behavior of the series.

3. Can an infinite sum exist but not have a finite value?

Yes, it is possible for an infinite sum to exist but not have a finite value. This occurs when the sequence of partial sums does not converge to a finite value, but instead diverges to infinity or oscillates between different values.

4. How do you find the sum of an infinite series?

To find the sum of an infinite series, we can use techniques such as the geometric series formula, telescoping series, or partial fraction decomposition. It is important to first prove that the series converges before attempting to find its sum.

5. Can an infinite sum have a negative value?

Yes, an infinite sum can have a negative value. This occurs when the series is alternating, meaning that the terms alternate between positive and negative values as the series progresses. In this case, the sum can be negative even though the terms are all positive or vice versa.