Prove by Contradiction: For all Prime Numbers a, b, and c

In summary, to prove by contradiction that for all prime numbers a, b, and c, a^2 + b^2 =/= c^2, we start with the statement's negation and rearrange it to get a^2 = (c - b) (c + b). Since a is prime, the only factor of a^2 is a. Therefore, c - b must equal either 1 or a, and c + b must equal either a or a^2. However, this is impossible if all of a, b, and c are odd.
Animuo

Homework Statement

Prove by Contradiction: For all Prime Numbers a, b, and c, a^2 + b^2 =/= c^2

Homework Equations

Prime number is a number whose only factors are one and itself.
Proof by contradiction means that you take a statement's negation as a starting point, and find a contradiction.

The Attempt at a Solution

The statement's negation is:
There exists prime numbers a, b, and c, such that a^2 + b^2 = c^2
Rearrange it:
a^2 = c^2 - b^2
a^2 = (c - b) (c + b)
a = √(c-b)(c+b)

I'm stuck here. To show that it's a contradiction I would have to show that it's factors are not equal to 1 or a, and I've been staring at this a little too long, my head just keeps going in circles.. some help would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Animuo said:

Homework Statement

Prove by Contradiction: For all Prime Numbers a, b, and c, a^2 + b^2 =/= c^2

Homework Equations

Prime number is a number whose only factors are one and itself.
Proof by contradiction means that you take a statement's negation as a starting point, and find a contradiction.

The Attempt at a Solution

The statement's negation is:
There exists prime numbers a, b, and c, such that a^2 + b^2 = c^2
Rearrange it:
a^2 = c^2 - b^2
a^2 = (c - b) (c + b)
Up to here, great. Since a is prime, the only factor of a^2 is a.
So you must have c- b= 1 and c+ b= a^2 or c- b= a and c+ b= a. Now if all of a, b, and c are odd that is impossible.

a= √(c-b)(c+b)

I'm stuck here. To show that it's a contradiction I would have to show that it's factors are not equal to 1 or a, and I've been staring at this a little too long, my head just keeps going in circles.. some help would be appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Prove by Contradiction: For all Prime Numbers a, b, and c

1. What is the concept of "Prove by Contradiction"?

"Prove by Contradiction" is a mathematical proof technique where one assumes the opposite of what they are trying to prove and then shows that this assumption leads to a contradiction. This contradiction then proves the original statement to be true.

2. How does "Prove by Contradiction" work in the context of prime numbers?

In the context of prime numbers, "Prove by Contradiction" can be used to show that there are infinitely many prime numbers. This is done by assuming that there is a largest prime number and then showing that this assumption leads to a contradiction, thus proving that there is no largest prime number.

3. Can "Prove by Contradiction" be used to prove any statement?

No, "Prove by Contradiction" is not a universal proof technique and can only be used for certain types of statements. For example, it cannot be used to prove statements that are true by definition, such as "all bachelors are unmarried".

4. What are the steps involved in using "Prove by Contradiction"?

The steps involved in using "Prove by Contradiction" are:
1. Assume the opposite of the statement you are trying to prove.
2. Use deductive reasoning to show that this assumption leads to a contradiction.
3. Conclude that the original statement must be true.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using "Prove by Contradiction"?

One limitation of "Prove by Contradiction" is that it does not provide a constructive proof, meaning it does not give an explicit example or method for finding the solution. Additionally, it may not always be the most efficient or elegant method of proving a statement. It also relies heavily on the ability to find a contradiction, which may not always be possible.