Prove Combinations Proof: Median Method

In summary, the problem is asking for a proof that for any positive integer n and k, the combination of choosing 2k+1 elements from a set of size n is equal to the sum of choosing k elements from an i-1 sized set and k elements from an n-i sized set, where i is the median of the 2k+1 elements chosen. The hint suggests classifying the (2k+1)-sets by their median and using the fact that each term in the summand is counting the ways to choose 2k elements from a set of size n-1.
gsingh2011

Homework Statement

Prove that for any positive integer n, k,
$$\binom{n}{2k+1}=\sum_{i=1}^n{\binom{i-1}{k}\binom{n-i}{k}}$$

Homework Equations

$$\binom{n}{k}=\frac{n!}{(n-k)!k!}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm looking for a starting point. I've been given a hint that says,
Classify (2k + 1)-sets of size n by what the median is, where (2k + 1)-sets of size n means the subsets of size n containing (2k + 1) elements.
But I don't know how to do that, or what to do from there.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the hint is a bit poorly worded, but here's the idea:

On the left, in a set of size n we are picking 2k+1 elements. Consider the set to literally be the numbers 1 through n. Split your set into two parts - the numbers smaller than the median of the 2k+1 numbers you picked, and the numbers larger than it.

On the other hand, each term in the summand is counting the ways to: pick k elements from an i-1 sized set, and pick k elements from an n-i sized set. If we combine those two together, we are essentially picking 2k elements from a set of size n-1.

Office_Shredder said:
I think the hint is a bit poorly worded, but here's the idea:

On the left, in a set of size n we are picking 2k+1 elements. Consider the set to literally be the numbers 1 through n. Split your set into two parts - the numbers smaller than the median of the 2k+1 numbers you picked, and the numbers larger than it.

On the other hand, each term in the summand is counting the ways to: pick k elements from an i-1 sized set, and pick k elements from an n-i sized set. If we combine those two together, we are essentially picking 2k elements from a set of size n-1.

Thanks, but I'm still not sure what to do from here. I'm not sure how to deal with the sum, I guess.

EDIT: I guess I kind of get it now. For the summand, if we keep changing i then we're finding the number of ways to choose 2k elements from n-1 elements by choosing them from each sized set. So I guess my problem now is understanding why it's n-1 and 2k instead of n and 2k+1.

Last edited:

Related to Prove Combinations Proof: Median Method

1. What is the median method for proving combinations?

The median method is a mathematical technique used to prove combinations, which are different ways of selecting a subset of items from a larger set without regard to order. It involves arranging the items in a specific order and finding the median value to determine the number of possible combinations.

2. How is the median method used to prove combinations?

The median method uses a formula to determine the number of combinations, which is nCr = (n-1)Cr-1 + (n-1)Cr, where n is the number of items and r is the number of items in the subset. This formula is based on finding the median value of a set of numbers.

3. Why is the median method a reliable way to prove combinations?

The median method is a reliable way to prove combinations because it is based on a mathematical formula that has been proven to be accurate. It also takes into account all possible combinations, making it a comprehensive method for proving combinations.

4. What are some examples of using the median method to prove combinations?

An example of using the median method would be finding the number of possible combinations for a lottery game where players choose 6 numbers out of 49. Another example would be determining the number of ways a committee of 4 members can be selected from a group of 10 people.

5. Are there any limitations to using the median method to prove combinations?

One limitation of the median method is that it can only be used for combinations where order does not matter. It also does not take into account any restrictions or conditions that may affect the number of possible combinations. In some cases, a different method may be needed to prove combinations.