Prove Continuity From Precise Definition of Limit

toslowtogofast2a
Homework Statement
The problem tells us f is continuous at 0 and that if f(a+b) = f(a)+f(b) then prove f is continuous at every number.
Relevant Equations
The solution in the book used a different approach but I am trying to start with the precise definition of continuity and prove from there.

For all epsilon >0 there exists delta >0 ST
|f(x)-f(c)|<epsilon. When. 0<|x-c|<delta
I attached my attemp at the solution. I am trying to start with continuity at 0 and end up with limit of f(x) equals f(c) as x goes to c.

Could someone take a look at the attached image and let me know if I am on the right track or where I went astray

Sorry picture is rotated I tried but can’t get it to come in right.
9C92438B-13E6-48B1-A4DF-B22690442080.jpeg

Physics news on Phys.org
Although your description of your proof is straightforward, the organization of your proof is confusing. It's hard to see if it is correct.
It's not clear that it is following your description: "I am trying to start with continuity at 0 and end up with limit of f(x) equals f(c) as x goes to c."
1) You should start in a way that briefly makes it clear which point continuity is being established (i.e. define ##c\in\mathbb{R}##). Also define ##\epsilon\gt 0##.
2) Use the continuity of ##f()## at 0 to get ##\delta##:
3) Use that ##\delta## to prove continuity at ##c##:

Last edited:
Note that there is an alternative, equivalent formulation of continuity using sequences, which is often useful for proofs. It's fairly to simple to show that ##f## is continuous at ##x## iff for every sequence ##x_n## that converges to ##x##, the sequence ##f(x_n)## converges to ##f(x)##. I'm not sure why this is not taught more widely.

Anyway, in this case, you could use that alternative definition for a nice, simple proof.

FactChecker said:
Although your description of your proof is straightforward, the organization of your proof is confusing. It's hard to see if it is correct.
It's not clear that it is following your description: "I am trying to start with continuity at 0 and end up with limit of f(x) equals f(c) as x goes to c."
1) You should start in a way that briefly makes it clear which point continuity is being established (i.e. define ##c\in\mathbb{R}##). Also define ##\epsilon\gt 0##.
2) Use the continuity of ##f()## at 0 to get ##\delta##:
3) Use that ##\delta## to prove continuity at ##c##:
@FactChecker Thanks for the reply. I agree I let out details and was unclear. I tried to be more detailed and clear about my structure in image below. Is this better.
20241015_131512.jpg

Last edited:
That looks good to me. I might quibble about some "wordsmithing" things, but the logic and flow seems fine.

FactChecker said:
That looks good to me. I might quibble about some "wordsmithing" things, but the logic and flow seems fine.
Thanks for taking the time to help me with this

Likes FactChecker