Prove Corollary of Rank-Nullity theorem

• Thread starter iamalexalright
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary, for a linear transformation \tau with dimensions of its domain and codomain being finite, \tau is injective if and only if it is surjective. This can be proven by looking at the formula dim(ker(t))+dim(im(t))=dim(V) and showing that if \tau is injective, then dim(im(t))=dim(W), which implies that im(t)=W. This is due to the fact that for two finite-dimensional spaces V and W, if V is a subspace of W and they have the same dimension, then V=W.
iamalexalright

Homework Statement

Prove:
Let [tex]\tau \in L(V,W)[/tex], where dim(V) = dim(W) < infinity. Then [tex]\tau[/tex] is injective iff it is surjective.

Homework Equations

L(V,W) is the set of all linear transformations from V to W.

1. Any complement of ker(t) is isomorphic to im(t)
2. dim(ker(t)) + dim(im(t)) = dim(V)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm pretty lost in starting this.
I know it is surjective iff im(t) = W
I know it is injective iff ker(t) = {0}

Should I assume its injective but not surjective (to move towards a contradiction)?

And maybe I don't understand the concept of an isomorphism but if:
[tex]im(\tau) = W[/tex] and
[tex]ker(\tau)^{c} \approx im(\tau)[/tex]
then how does the ker(t)^c relate to W?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can prove this by only looking at the formula dim(ker(t))+dim(im(t))=dim(V).

Assume that t is injective. As you stated, this implies that ker(t)={0}. Thus dim(ker(t))=0.
So, what does this imply in the above formula?

that implies dim(im(t)) = dim(V) = dim(W)

that doesn't necessarily imply though that im(t) = W

am I just not thinking about it enough?

That's correct. But since [tex]im(t)\subseteq W[/tex] and dim(im(t))=dim(W) (as proven), then this DOES imply that im(t)=W.

In general, if you have two finite-dimensional spaces V and W such that [tex]V\subseteq W[/tex] and dim(V)=dim(W), then V=W!

Ah ! okay, that makes perfect sense

thanks for the help

FAQ: Prove Corollary of Rank-Nullity theorem

1. What is the Rank-Nullity theorem?

The Rank-Nullity theorem, also known as the dimension theorem, is a fundamental theorem in linear algebra that relates the dimensions of the image and kernel (null space) of a linear transformation. It states that for any linear transformation T from a finite-dimensional vector space V to another finite-dimensional vector space W, the dimension of the image of T plus the dimension of the kernel of T is equal to the dimension of V.

2. What is a corollary of the Rank-Nullity theorem?

A corollary is a logical consequence of a theorem. In the context of the Rank-Nullity theorem, one corollary states that if the dimension of the image of T is equal to the dimension of the codomain W, then the dimension of the kernel of T is equal to 0. In other words, if a linear transformation T is onto (surjective), then it must also be one-to-one (injective).

3. How do you prove the corollary of the Rank-Nullity theorem?

The corollary can be proven by applying the definition of an onto (surjective) linear transformation, which states that for every element w in the codomain W, there exists at least one element v in the domain V such that T(v) = w. Using this definition, it can be shown that if the dimension of the image of T is equal to the dimension of the codomain W, then every element in W can be uniquely mapped to an element in V, implying that T is also one-to-one (injective).

4. What is the significance of the corollary of the Rank-Nullity theorem?

The corollary has several important implications in linear algebra. One of the key implications is that it provides a necessary and sufficient condition for a linear transformation to have an inverse. If a linear transformation is onto (surjective), then it must also be one-to-one (injective), and therefore it has an inverse. Additionally, the corollary is commonly used in the proof of other important theorems in linear algebra, such as the inverse function theorem.

5. Can the corollary of the Rank-Nullity theorem be extended to infinite-dimensional vector spaces?

No, the corollary of the Rank-Nullity theorem only holds for finite-dimensional vector spaces. In infinite-dimensional vector spaces, there can exist linear transformations that are onto (surjective) but not one-to-one (injective), and therefore do not have an inverse. This highlights the importance of specifying the finite-dimensionality of vector spaces when working with the Rank-Nullity theorem and its corollary.