Prove ##f^{-1}(G\cap H)=f^{-1}(G)\cap f^{-1}(H)##

• Thread starter Potatochip911
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about proving that the inverse of the intersection of two sets is equal to the intersection of the inverses of those sets. The individual steps in the proof involve showing that if an element is in the inverse of the intersection, then it is also in the intersection of the inverses, and vice versa. This can be simplified by noting that the implications hold for all elements, and by considering the opposite direction as well.
Potatochip911

Homework Statement

So as the title says I'm supposed to prove ##f^{-1}(G\cap H)=f^{-1}(G)\cap f^{-1}(H)##

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]
I've been doing a lot of proofs for my class lately and just wanted to make sure that I'm at least doing one of them correctly so I would appreciate it if someone could tell me whether or not this is correct.

1) Let ##x\in f^{-1}(G\cap H)## then ##\exists y\in (G\cap H)## such that ##y=f(x)## so ##y\in G## and ##y\in H## therefore ##x\in f^{-1}(G)## and ##x\in f^{-1}(H)## so ##x\in f^{-1}(G)\cap f^{-1}(H)## which implies ##f^{-1}(G\cap H)\subseteq f^{-1}(G)\cap f^{-1}(H)##

2) Let ##x\in f^{-1}(G)\cap f^{-1}(H)##, so ##x\in f^{-1}(G)## and ##x\in f^{-1}(H)##. ##\exists a\in G## such that ##a=f(x)## and ##\exists b\in H## such that ##b=f(x)##, since ##a=b##; ##a\in G\cap H## so ##x\in f^{-1}(G\cap H)## which implies ##f^{-1}(G)\cap f^{-1}(H)\subseteq f^{-1}(G\cap H)##

From 1) and 2) we have that ##f^{-1}(G\cap H)=f^{-1}(G)\cap f^{-1}(H)##

Physics news on Phys.org
It seems no problems that ##A\subseteq B## and ##B\subseteq A## imply ##A=B.##

Likes Potatochip911
It looks good, but it can be simplified a bit. For the first part, I would just note that the following implications hold for all x.
$$x\in f^{-1}(G\cap H)\ \Rightarrow\ f(x)\in G\cap H\ \Rightarrow\ \begin{cases}f(x)\in G\\ f(x)\in H\end{cases}\ \Rightarrow\ \begin{cases}x\in f^{-1}(G)\\ x\in f^{-1}(H)\end{cases}\ \Rightarrow\ x\in f^{-1}(G)\cap f^{-1}(H).
$$ For the second part, I would just stare at these implications until I have convinced myself that they all hold in the opposite direction as well. That strategy doesn't always work, but it does in this case.

Likes Potatochip911

Related to Prove ##f^{-1}(G\cap H)=f^{-1}(G)\cap f^{-1}(H)##

What is the statement "Prove ##f^{-1}(G\cap H)=f^{-1}(G)\cap f^{-1}(H)##" asking?

The statement is asking for a proof that the inverse of a function applied to the intersection of two sets is equal to the intersection of the inverse of the function applied to each individual set.

Why is this statement important in mathematics?

This statement is important because it helps us understand the properties of inverse functions and how they interact with set operations. It also allows us to prove the equality of sets using inverse functions.

What are the requirements for proving this statement?

To prove this statement, we need to have a function that has an inverse, and two sets G and H that the function can be applied to. We also need to understand the properties of inverse functions and set operations.

Can this statement be generalized to more than two sets?

Yes, this statement can be generalized to more than two sets. The proof would follow the same logic, but instead of intersecting two sets, we would intersect all the sets and their respective inverse images.

How can this statement be applied in real-life situations?

This statement can be applied in real-life situations where we need to prove the equality of sets using inverse functions. For example, in computer science, we can use this statement to prove the equality of data sets and their corresponding inverse images.