Prove function to be one-to-one: Complex Mapping

In summary, a one-to-one function has unique output values for each input value, and this can be proved using the horizontal line test or algebra. A complex mapping is a function that maps complex numbers and can also be proved to be one-to-one using these methods or the Cauchy-Riemann equations. Proving a function is one-to-one is important for ensuring accurate and efficient calculations in various areas of mathematics.
hadroneater

Homework Statement

Show that f = sin(z) is one-to-one in the set S = { z | -pi < Re(z) < pi, Im(y) > 0}. That is, show that if z1 and z2 are in S and sin(z1) = sin(z2) then z1 = z2.

Hint: Try to find the image of S through f.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

z = x + iy
sin(z) = i/2(e^-iz - e^iz) = sin(x)cosh(y) + icos(x)sinh(y) = u + i*v

I try to map the function.

know: sin(x)^2 + cos(x)^2 = 1 = u^2/cosh(y)^2 + v^2/sinh(y)^2
If I fix y = constant > 0, I get ellipses with cosh(y) as the semi-major axis. The ellipse becomes a near-circle as y becomes larger.

know: cosh(y)^2 - sinh(y)^2 = 1 = u^2/sin(x)^2 - v^2/cos(x)^2
If I fix x = constant between pi and -pi, I get a hyperbola. If x = pi or -pi, I get the imaginary axis.

I was able to draw the image. However...I am not sure how I can use it to prove f is one-to-one on S.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you give me some more tips?

Thank you for your question. It seems like you are on the right track and have a good understanding of the function f = sin(z) and its properties. To prove that f is one-to-one on the set S, we need to show that for any two points z1 and z2 in S, if sin(z1) = sin(z2), then z1 = z2.

As you have correctly identified, the image of S through f is an ellipse with cosh(y) as the semi-major axis. This means that for any point z in S, its image f(z) also lies on this ellipse. Now, let's assume that there are two points z1 and z2 in S such that sin(z1) = sin(z2). This means that their images f(z1) and f(z2) lie on the same point on the ellipse. Since the ellipse is one-to-one, this can only happen if z1 = z2. Therefore, we can conclude that if sin(z1) = sin(z2), then z1 = z2, and hence f is one-to-one on S.

I hope this helps. Keep up the good work in your studies!

Related to Prove function to be one-to-one: Complex Mapping

1. What does it mean for a function to be one-to-one?

When a function is one-to-one, it means that each input value (x) has a unique output value (y). In other words, no two different input values will result in the same output value.

2. How do you prove that a function is one-to-one?

To prove that a function is one-to-one, you can use the horizontal line test. If a horizontal line intersects the graph of the function at more than one point, then the function is not one-to-one. Another way to prove one-to-one is by using algebra and showing that for any two different input values, the corresponding output values are also different.

3. What is a complex mapping?

A complex mapping is a function that maps complex numbers (numbers with both a real and imaginary part) from one set to another, often represented by a complex plane. It is commonly used in complex analysis and other advanced mathematical fields.

4. How do you prove that a complex mapping is one-to-one?

To prove that a complex mapping is one-to-one, you can use the same methods as proving any other function is one-to-one. You can use the horizontal line test or algebra to show that each input value has a unique output value. Additionally, you can use the Cauchy-Riemann equations to show that the mapping is analytic and therefore one-to-one.

5. Why is it important to prove that a function is one-to-one?

It is important to prove that a function is one-to-one because it ensures that each input value has a unique output value, meaning that there are no duplicate or repeated values. This is important in many areas of mathematics, such as calculus and linear algebra, as it allows for accurate and efficient calculations and solutions.