Prove (I + J)/J is isomorphic to I(R/J) as R modules

• MHB
  • Thread starter oblixps
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Modules
In summary, it has been shown that (I + J)/J is isomorphic to I(R/J) as R modules, with the explicit isomorphism being the map that takes the element i(r+J) in I(R/J) to (ir)+J in (I+J)/J. This map is well-defined, 1-1, and onto, making it a valid isomorphism.
oblixps
Let R be a commutative ring and I, J be ideals of R. Show that (I + J)/J is isomorphic to I(R/J) as R modules.

I am having trouble coming up with the explicit isomorphism. For I(R/J) I know any element can be expressed as i(r + J) = ir + J by definition of the action of R on R/J.

As for (I + J)/J, any element can be expressed as i + j + J = i + J so i was thinking of mapping i + J to ir + J but the problem is that this map doesn't seem to be 1 - 1.

But I am having trouble coming up with any other sensible maps besides this one. Can someone offer a hint on how to proceed?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
oblixps said:
Let R be a commutative ring and I, J be ideals of R. Show that (I + J)/J is isomorphic to I(R/J) as R modules.

I am having trouble coming up with the explicit isomorphism. For I(R/J) I know any element can be expressed as i(r + J) = ir + J by definition of the action of R on R/J.

As for (I + J)/J, any element can be expressed as i + j + J = i + J so i was thinking of mapping i + J to ir + J but the problem is that this map doesn't seem to be 1 - 1.

But I am having trouble coming up with any other sensible maps besides this one. Can someone offer a hint on how to proceed?

Thanks!
It looks as though your definition of a commutative ring includes the requirement that the ring should have an identity element, otherwise this result is not true.

I think you would do best to consider the reverse of the mapping that you suggest. If $i\in I$ and $r\in R$ then $ir\in I$ (because $I$ is an ideal). The map that takes the element $i(r+J) \in I(R/J)$ to the "same" element $(ir)+J \in (I+J)/J$ is a well-defined 1–1 homomorphism (check that!). It is also an onto map, because we can take $r=1$ (the identity element of $R$) to see that $i+J \in (I+J)/J$ is the image of $i(1+J)\in I(R/J)$.

ah yes I should have mentioned that my definition of rings include 1.

thank you for your answer!

i was having trouble showing that the "reverse" of the map i originally suggested was onto but now i understand.

Related to Prove (I + J)/J is isomorphic to I(R/J) as R modules

1. What does it mean for two modules to be isomorphic?

Two modules are isomorphic if they have the same structure and can be transformed into each other through a bijective homomorphism. In other words, they have the same elements and operations, but the elements are arranged differently.

2. How do you prove that (I + J)/J is isomorphic to I(R/J) as R modules?

To prove isomorphism, you need to show that there exists a homomorphism between the two modules that is both injective and surjective. This can be done by defining a mapping between the elements of the two modules and showing that it preserves the module structure.

3. What is the significance of proving isomorphism between two modules?

Proving isomorphism between two modules allows us to understand the relationship between them and how they are structured. It also allows us to use properties and operations from one module on the other, making it easier to solve problems and make connections between different mathematical concepts.

4. Can you give an example of a bijective homomorphism between (I + J)/J and I(R/J)?

Yes, a bijective homomorphism between (I + J)/J and I(R/J) can be defined as: ϕ : (I + J)/J → I(R/J) where ϕ(x + J) = x + (R/J).

5. What are some real-life applications of proving isomorphism between modules?

Proving isomorphism between modules has many real-life applications, such as in computer science for designing efficient data structures and algorithms, in physics for understanding symmetries and conservation laws, and in economics for modeling and analyzing complex systems.