Prove Idempotency of A: Homework Statement

• Thread starter jmarzouq
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, if (A^T)A = A, and (A^T)A = A^T, then A must be equal to its own transpose, implying that A is idempotent.
jmarzouq

Homework Statement

Prove that if (A^τ)A = A, then A is idempotent. [Hint: First show that (A^τ)A = A^τ]

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I've gotten to the hint portion by taking the transpose of both sides, but have been unable to get that far past that. I've tried right side multiplying by A^-1 and have gotten this far:
A^τ = A^τ(A^-1), then, taking the transpose of each side yields
A = [(A^-1)^τ]A

I can't figure out how to get rid of the transpose/inverse from there. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You can't take the inverse because you don't know that A is invertible. Indeed, if A is invertible and idempotent, then A must be the identity matrix. (Can you prove that?)

You are given that [itex]A^T A = A[/itex], and you have shown that [itex]A^T A = A^T[/itex]. The left hand sides of these two equations are the same, and therefore the right hand sides must also be the same. What does that imply about A?

Ah, I see now. So A is equal to its own transpose so you can just substitute A back into the initial equation for A^T and get A^2 = A proving it's idempotent. I really appreciate the help!

Related to Prove Idempotency of A: Homework Statement

1. What is idempotency?

Idempotency refers to a property in mathematics and computer science where a function or operation can be applied multiple times without changing the result after the first application.

2. What does it mean to prove idempotency?

Proving idempotency means to show that a function or operation satisfies the property of idempotency, meaning that it remains unchanged after being applied multiple times.

3. How do you prove idempotency of a function or operation?

To prove idempotency, you must show that the function or operation remains unchanged after being applied multiple times. This can be done through mathematical proofs or by providing examples that demonstrate the property.

4. Why is proving idempotency important?

Proving idempotency is important in mathematics and computer science because it ensures that a function or operation can be safely applied multiple times without altering the result. This is crucial in various applications, such as data processing and error handling.

5. Can idempotency be proven for any function or operation?

Not all functions or operations are idempotent, so it is important to carefully analyze the function or operation in question to determine if it satisfies the property of idempotency. In some cases, it may not be possible to prove idempotency for a given function or operation.