Prove Ineq. for Natural n > 1: 1/n+1 + ... + 1/2n > 13/24

• Thread starter songoku
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inequality
In summary, the proposition can be proven by mathematical induction, with a base case of n = 2 or 3, and an induction step that shows that if the proposition is true for n = k, then it must also be true for n = k + 1. This can be shown by manipulating the expression and using the induction hypothesis to prove that the inequality holds.
songoku

Homework Statement

Prove that for any naturam number n > 1 :
[itex] \frac{1}{n+1} + \frac{1}{n+2} + \frac{1}{n+3} + ... + \frac{1}{2n} > \frac{13}{24}[/itex]

Homework Equations

Not sure

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex] \frac{1}{n+1} + \frac{1}{n+2} + \frac{1}{n+3} + ... + \frac{1}{2n} > \frac{1}{2n} + \frac{1}{2n} + \frac{1}{2n} + ... + \frac{1}{2n} = \frac{n}{2n} = \frac{1}{2}[/itex]

Then I stuck...

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what approach your instructor had in mind in setting the problem, but unless I'm mistaken, we can actually prove a stronger inequality bound.

If we define
[tex]f(n) = \frac{1}{n+1} + \frac{1}{n+2} + \cdots + \frac{1}{2n},[/tex]
then it is relatively straightforward to show that ##f(n+1) > f(n) \,\, \forall \,\, n##, and so it must be the case that ##f(n) \geq f(2)##.

It is also possible to prove that ##\lim_{n \to \infty} f(n) = \ln 2## as an interesting exercise.

Likes Buffu and ehild
songoku said:

Homework Statement

Prove that for any naturam number n > 1 :
[itex] \frac{1}{n+1} + \frac{1}{n+2} + \frac{1}{n+3} + ... + \frac{1}{2n} > \frac{13}{24}[/itex]

Homework Equations

Not sure

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex] \frac{1}{n+1} + \frac{1}{n+2} + \frac{1}{n+3} + ... + \frac{1}{2n} > \frac{1}{2n} + \frac{1}{2n} + \frac{1}{2n} + ... + \frac{1}{2n} = \frac{n}{2n} = \frac{1}{2}[/itex]

Then I stuck...

Thanks
You can do this by mathematical induction, which might be the strategy your instructor had in mind.
Proving a base case with n = 2 or n = 3 is straightforward.
Then, assume that the proposition is true for n = k; i.e., that ##\frac 1 {k + 1} + \frac 1 {k + 2} + \dots + \frac 1 {2k} > \frac {13} {24}## (the induction hypothesis).
Finally, use the induction hypothesis to show that ##\frac 1 {k + 2} + \frac 1 {k + 3} + \dots + \frac 1 {2k} + \frac 1 {2k + 1} + \frac 1 {2k + 2} > \frac {13} {24}## must be true, as well.

Mark44 said:
You can do this by mathematical induction, which might be the strategy your instructor had in mind.
Proving a base case with n = 2 or n = 3 is straightforward.
Then, assume that the proposition is true for n = k; i.e., that ##\frac 1 {k + 1} + \frac 1 {k + 2} + \dots + \frac 1 {2k} > \frac {13} {24}## (the induction hypothesis).
Finally, use the induction hypothesis to show that ##\frac 1 {k + 2} + \frac 1 {k + 3} + \dots + \frac 1 {2k} + \frac 1 {2k + 1} + \frac 1 {2k + 2} > \frac {13} {24}## must be true, as well.

Let me try:
(i) For n = 2
1/3 + 1/4 = 7/12 = 14/24 > 13/24 so it is true for n = 2

(ii) Assume it is true for n = k
##\frac 1 {k + 1} + \frac 1 {k + 2} + \dots + \frac 1 {2k} > \frac {13} {24}##

(iii) For n = k + 1
##\frac 1 {k + 2} + \frac 1 {k + 3} + \dots + \frac 1 {2k} + \frac 1 {2k + 1} + \frac 1 {2k + 2}##

## = \frac 1 {k + 1} + \frac 1 {k + 2} + \frac 1 {k + 3} + \dots + \frac 1 {2k} + \frac 1 {2k + 1} + \frac 1 {2k + 2} - \frac 1 {k + 1}##

## > \frac {13} {24} + \frac 1 {(2k + 1) (2k + 2)} > \frac {13} {24}##

Is this correct?

songoku said:
Let me try:
(i) For n = 2
1/3 + 1/4 = 7/12 = 14/24 > 13/24 so it is true for n = 2

(ii) Assume it is true for n = k
##\frac 1 {k + 1} + \frac 1 {k + 2} + \dots + \frac 1 {2k} > \frac {13} {24}##

(iii) For n = k + 1
##\frac 1 {k + 2} + \frac 1 {k + 3} + \dots + \frac 1 {2k} + \frac 1 {2k + 1} + \frac 1 {2k + 2}##

## = \frac 1 {k + 1} + \frac 1 {k + 2} + \frac 1 {k + 3} + \dots + \frac 1 {2k} + \frac 1 {2k + 1} + \frac 1 {2k + 2} - \frac 1 {k + 1}##

## > \frac {13} {24} + \frac 1 {(2k + 1) (2k + 2)} > \frac {13} {24}##

Is this correct?
Looks good.

Likes songoku
Sorry for late reply

Thank you very much

Related to Prove Ineq. for Natural n > 1: 1/n+1 + ... + 1/2n > 13/24

1. What is the purpose of proving this inequality?

The purpose of proving this inequality is to show that the sum of the reciprocals of natural numbers greater than 1, starting from 1/n+1 up to 1/2n, is greater than 13/24. This can help us better understand the behavior of the sum of reciprocals and how it relates to other numbers.

2. How can this inequality be proved?

This inequality can be proved using mathematical induction. This method involves proving that the inequality holds for a base case (n=2) and then showing that if it holds for any arbitrary value of n, it also holds for n+1. By proving these two steps, we can show that the inequality holds for all natural numbers greater than 1.

3. What is the significance of the value 13/24 in this inequality?

The value 13/24 serves as a benchmark for the sum of reciprocals. It is a fraction that is slightly larger than 1/2, which is the sum of the first two reciprocals (1/2 + 1/3). By proving that the sum of reciprocals is greater than 13/24, we can infer that it is also greater than 1/2 and therefore, the sum of reciprocals increases as the number of terms increases.

4. Is this inequality true for all natural numbers greater than 1?

Yes, this inequality is true for all natural numbers greater than 1. By using mathematical induction, we can prove that the inequality holds for a base case (n=2) and then show that it holds for any arbitrary value of n, therefore proving that it holds for all natural numbers greater than 1.

5. How can this inequality be applied in real-world situations?

This inequality can be applied in various fields such as mathematics, finance, and computer science. In mathematics, it can be used to prove the convergence of series. In finance, it can be used to calculate the interest rate on a loan with compounding interest. In computer science, it can be used to optimize algorithms by determining the time complexity of certain operations.