Prove Inequality Challenge for $a\in \Bbb{Z^+}$

In summary, the "Prove Inequality Challenge" is a mathematical challenge that asks participants to prove inequalities for all positive integers. It is important for scientists as it helps develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills. Some strategies for solving the challenge include breaking down the problem, using known concepts and theorems, and practicing regularly. Resources such as textbooks and online tutorials are available to help with the challenge. The skills developed in the challenge can be applied in scientific research by providing a foundation for proving mathematical statements and equations.
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Let $a\in \Bbb{Z^+}$, prove that $\dfrac{2}{2-\sqrt{2}}>\dfrac{1}{1\sqrt{1}}+\dfrac{1}{2\sqrt{2}}+\dfrac{1}{3\sqrt{3}}+\cdots+\dfrac{1}{a\sqrt{a}}$.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
My solution:

Let:

\(\displaystyle S\equiv\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}\left(k^{-\frac{3}{2}}\right)\)

Using graphical tools, we can easily see that:

\(\displaystyle S<1+\int_{1}^{\infty}u^{-\frac{3}{2}}\,du\)

To evaluate the integral $I$, we may write:

\(\displaystyle I=\lim_{t\to\infty}\left(\int_{1}^{t}u^{-\frac{3}{2}}\,du\right)\)

Applying the anti-derivative form of the FTOC, there results:

\(\displaystyle I=-2\lim_{t\to\infty}\left(\left.u^{-\frac{1}{2}}\right|_{1}^t\right)=2\)

Hence, we have $S<3$ and we may state

\(\displaystyle S_a<S<3<\frac{2}{2-\sqrt{2}}=2+\sqrt{2}\)

Shown as desired. :)

MarkFL said:
My solution:

Let:

\(\displaystyle S\equiv\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}\left(k^{-\frac{3}{2}}\right)\)

Using graphical tools, we can easily see that:

\(\displaystyle S<1+\int_{1}^{\infty}u^{-\frac{3}{2}}\,du\)

To evaluate the integral $I$, we may write:

\(\displaystyle I=\lim_{t\to\infty}\left(\int_{1}^{t}u^{-\frac{3}{2}}\,du\right)\)

Applying the anti-derivative form of the FTOC, there results:

\(\displaystyle I=-2\lim_{t\to\infty}\left(\left.u^{-\frac{1}{2}}\right|_{1}^t\right)=2\)

Hence, we have $S<3$ and we may state

\(\displaystyle S_a<S<3<\frac{2}{2-\sqrt{2}}=2+\sqrt{2}\)

Shown as desired. :)

Awesome, MarkFL!:cool:(Yes) And I welcome others to try it with other approach too!(Happy)

Hint to solve the challenge using elementary method:

Telescoping series...

anemone said:
Let $a\in \Bbb{Z^+}$, prove that $\dfrac{2}{2-\sqrt{2}}>\dfrac{1}{1\sqrt{1}}+\dfrac{1}{2\sqrt{2}}+\dfrac{1}{3\sqrt{3}}+\cdots+\dfrac{1}{a\sqrt{a}}$.
my solution:
$A=\dfrac{2}{2-\sqrt{2}}=\dfrac {1}{1-\dfrac{\sqrt 2}{2}}$
$B=\dfrac{1}{1\sqrt{1}}+\dfrac{1}{2\sqrt{2}}+\dfrac{1}{3\sqrt{3}}+\cdots+\dfrac{1}{a\sqrt{a}}$
$ =1+\dfrac {\sqrt 2}{2^2}+\dfrac {\sqrt 3}{3^2}+\dfrac {\sqrt 4}{4^2}+------+\dfrac {\sqrt a}{a^2}$
$A$ is a infinite geometric sum with ratio $r=\dfrac {\sqrt 2}{2}$, and first term $A_1=1$
$\therefore A>B$

Albert said:
my solution:
$A=\dfrac{2}{2-\sqrt{2}}=\dfrac {1}{1-\dfrac{\sqrt 2}{2}}$
$B=\dfrac{1}{1\sqrt{1}}+\dfrac{1}{2\sqrt{2}}+\dfrac{1}{3\sqrt{3}}+\cdots+\dfrac{1}{a\sqrt{a}}$
$ =1+\dfrac {\sqrt 2}{2^2}+\dfrac {\sqrt 3}{3^2}+\dfrac {\sqrt 4}{4^2}+------+\dfrac {\sqrt a}{a^2}$
$A$ is a infinite geometric sum with ratio $r=\dfrac {\sqrt 2}{2}$, and first term $A_1=1$
$\therefore A>B$

not correct because

nth term of A = $\dfrac{1}{2^{\frac{n}{2}}}$
and nth term of B =$\dfrac{1}{n\sqrt n}$
after certain terms the term of A is smaller

$A=\dfrac{2}{2-\sqrt{2}}=\dfrac {1}{1-\dfrac{\sqrt 2}{2}}=2+\sqrt 2$
$A$ is a infinite geometric sum with ratio $r=\dfrac {\sqrt 2}{2}$, and first term $a_1=1 , a_n=\dfrac {1}{2^{(n-1)/2}}$
$B$ is a $P$ series with p=1.5 ,$b_1=1$ ,and $b_n=\dfrac {1}{n^{1.5}}$ Both $A$ and $B$ convergent
$B=\sum\dfrac{1}{n^{1.5}}=\dfrac{1}{1\sqrt{1}}+\dfrac{1}{2\sqrt{2}}+\dfrac{1}{3\sqrt{3}}+\cdots+\dfrac{1}{a\sqrt{a}}$
$B<1+1+\dfrac {1}{2}+\dfrac {1}{4}+\dfrac{1}{8}+------=1+2=3<A$
I did not use "Telescoping series"
hope anemone can show us how to use "Telescoping series"

Last edited:
Solution of other:

Note that it's always true that for all $a\in \Bbb{Z^+}$, $\dfrac{1}{4a^3}<\dfrac{1}{4a^3-3a-1}$.

From here we get

$\dfrac{1}{4a^3}<\dfrac{1}{(a-1)(2a+1)^2}$

$\dfrac{(2a+1)^2}{a}<\dfrac{4a^2}{a-1}$

$\dfrac{2a+1}{\sqrt{a}}<\dfrac{2a}{\sqrt{a-1}}$

$\dfrac{2a+1}{a\sqrt{a}}<\dfrac{2}{\sqrt{a-1}}$

$\dfrac{1}{a\sqrt{a}}<\dfrac{2}{\sqrt{a-1}}-\dfrac{2}{\sqrt{a}}$

So we see

\(\displaystyle \begin{align*}\sum_{i=2}^{a}\dfrac{1}{a\sqrt{a}}&<\dfrac{2}{\sqrt{1}}-\dfrac{2}{\sqrt{2}}+\dfrac{2}{\sqrt{2}}-\dfrac{2}{\sqrt{3}}+\dfrac{2}{\sqrt{3}}-\dfrac{2}{\sqrt{4}}+\cdots+\dfrac{2}{\sqrt{a-2}}-\dfrac{2}{\sqrt{a-1}}+\dfrac{2}{\sqrt{a-1}}-\dfrac{2}{\sqrt{a}}\\&<\dfrac{2}{\sqrt{1}}-\dfrac{2}{\sqrt{a}}\end{align*}\)

and therefore we get

$\begin{align*}\dfrac{1}{1\sqrt{1}}+\dfrac{1}{2\sqrt{2}}+\dfrac{1}{3\sqrt{3}}+\cdots+\dfrac{1}{a\sqrt{a}}&<1+\dfrac{2}{\sqrt{1}}-\dfrac{2}{\sqrt{a}}\\&<3-\dfrac{2}{\sqrt{a}}<3+\dfrac{1}{\sqrt{2}+1}=\dfrac{2}{2-\sqrt{2}}\,\,\,\text{(Q.E.D)}\end{align*}$

Related to Prove Inequality Challenge for $a\in \Bbb{Z^+}$

What is the "Prove Inequality Challenge for $a\in \Bbb{Z^+}$"?

The "Prove Inequality Challenge for $a\in \Bbb{Z^+}$" is a mathematical challenge that asks participants to prove a given inequality for all positive integers, denoted by $\Bbb{Z^+}$. This challenge is often used in mathematical competitions and exercises to test a person's understanding of mathematical concepts and their ability to prove statements using mathematical reasoning.

Why is the "Prove Inequality Challenge" important for scientists?

The "Prove Inequality Challenge" is important for scientists because it helps to develop critical thinking skills and problem-solving abilities. By participating in this challenge, scientists can improve their understanding of mathematical concepts and their ability to create logical arguments and proofs. This can be beneficial in various fields of science, as it requires the use of mathematical reasoning and problem-solving skills.

What are some strategies for solving the "Prove Inequality Challenge"?

Some strategies for solving the "Prove Inequality Challenge" include breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts, using known mathematical concepts and theorems, and trying different approaches until a solution is found. It is also helpful to practice regularly and familiarize oneself with various types of inequalities to develop a better understanding of their properties and how to prove them.

Are there any resources available to help with the "Prove Inequality Challenge"?

Yes, there are many resources available to help with the "Prove Inequality Challenge". These include textbooks, online tutorials, and practice problems and solutions. It is also helpful to work with a study group or seek guidance from a teacher or mentor who can provide feedback and assistance with solving challenging inequalities.

How can the "Prove Inequality Challenge" be applied in scientific research?

The "Prove Inequality Challenge" can be applied in scientific research by providing a foundation for understanding and proving mathematical statements and equations. In many scientific fields, such as physics and economics, mathematical proofs are used to support theories and make predictions. By participating in the "Prove Inequality Challenge", scientists can improve their skills in mathematical reasoning and proof, which can be applied in various research areas.