Prove Inequality: $\dfrac{1}{a}+\dfrac{1}{b}+\dfrac{1}{c}+\dfrac{1}{d}$

• MHB
  • Thread starter anemone
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inequality
In summary, the conversation discusses a proof for the inequality $\dfrac{1}{\dfrac{1}{a}+\dfrac{1}{b}}+\dfrac{1}{ \dfrac{1}{c}+\dfrac{1}{d}} \le \dfrac{1}{\dfrac{1}{a+c}+\dfrac{1}{b+d}}$ for all positive real numbers $a, b, c, d$. Different approaches are presented and ultimately, it is proven by shifting the terms to the right and simplifying to show that the inequality holds.
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Prove that $\dfrac{1}{\dfrac{1}{a}+\dfrac{1}{b}}+\dfrac{1}{ \dfrac{1}{c}+\dfrac{1}{d}} \le \dfrac{1}{\dfrac{1}{a+c}+\dfrac{1}{b+d}}$ for all positive real numbers $a, b, c, d$.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
anemone said:
Prove that $\dfrac{1}{\dfrac{1}{a}+\dfrac{1}{b}}+\dfrac{1}{ \dfrac{1}{c}+\dfrac{1}{d}} \le \dfrac{1}{\dfrac{1}{a+c}+\dfrac{1}{b+d}}$ for all positive real numbers $a, b, c, d$.

Hello.

I can't think of another thing that solved with the limits.

Making calculations.(Whew)

[tex]T=\dfrac{1}{1+\frac{d}{b}+\frac{b}{a}+\frac{d}{a}}+ \dfrac{1}{1+\frac{b}{d}+\frac{b}{c}+\frac{d}{c}}+ \dfrac{1}{1+\frac{a}{b}+\frac{c}{b}+\frac{c}{a}}+ \dfrac{1}{1+\frac{a}{d}+\frac{a}{c}+\frac{c}{d}} \le{1}[/tex]

We note that, when they are the same two by two, the result is 1.Now let's look:

[tex]\displaystyle\lim_{a \to{+}\infty}{T}=\dfrac{1}{1+\frac{d}{b}}+ \dfrac{1}{1+\frac{b}{d}+\frac{b}{c}+\frac{d}{c}}[/tex]

[tex]\displaystyle\lim_{b \to{+}\infty}{} (\dfrac{1}{1+\frac{d}{b}}+ \dfrac{1}{1+\frac{b}{d}+\frac{b}{c}+\frac{d}{c}})=1[/tex]

It would be like if we choose any of the other variables, because "T" combinations are symmetric.

Regards.

mente oscura said:
Hello.

I can't think of another thing that solved with the limits.

Making calculations.(Whew)

[tex]T=\dfrac{1}{1+\frac{d}{b}+\frac{b}{a}+\frac{d}{a}}+ \dfrac{1}{1+\frac{b}{d}+\frac{b}{c}+\frac{d}{c}}+ \dfrac{1}{1+\frac{a}{b}+\frac{c}{b}+\frac{c}{a}}+ \dfrac{1}{1+\frac{a}{d}+\frac{a}{c}+\frac{c}{d}} \le{1}[/tex]

We note that, when they are the same two by two, the result is 1.Now let's look:

[tex]\displaystyle\lim_{a \to{+}\infty}{T}=\dfrac{1}{1+\frac{d}{b}}+ \dfrac{1}{1+\frac{b}{d}+\frac{b}{c}+\frac{d}{c}}[/tex]

[tex]\displaystyle\lim_{b \to{+}\infty}{} (\dfrac{1}{1+\frac{d}{b}}+ \dfrac{1}{1+\frac{b}{d}+\frac{b}{c}+\frac{d}{c}})=1[/tex]

It would be like if we choose any of the other variables, because "T" combinations are symmetric.

Regards.

Thanks for your post, mente oscura! I have been trying to digest what you have come up with for some time, hoping to see the light at the end of the tunnel but I am sorry, I couldn't possibly continue from there.

I want to share the solution that I found with you and the rest of the members:

If we shift everything from the left to the right, we get

$\dfrac{1}{\dfrac{1}{a}+\dfrac{1}{b}}+\dfrac{1}{ \dfrac{1}{c}+\dfrac{1}{d}} \le \dfrac{1}{\dfrac{1}{a+c}+\dfrac{1}{b+d}}$

$0 \le \dfrac{1}{\dfrac{1}{a+c}+\dfrac{1}{b+d}}-\left( \dfrac{1}{\dfrac{1}{a}+\dfrac{1}{b}}+\dfrac{1}{ \dfrac{1}{c}+\dfrac{1}{d}} \right)$

$\dfrac{1}{\dfrac{1}{a+c}+\dfrac{1}{b+d}}-\left(\dfrac{1}{\dfrac{1}{a}+\dfrac{1}{b}}+\dfrac{1}{ \dfrac{1}{c}+\dfrac{1}{d}} \right) \ge 0$

That is to say, if we can prove the RHS is always greater than zero for all positive real numbers $a, b, c, d$, then we are done. Let's see how far this will take us:

$\begin{align*}\small \dfrac{1}{ \dfrac{1}{a+c}+ \dfrac{1}{b+d}}-\left(\dfrac{1}{\dfrac{1}{a}+\dfrac{1}{b}}+\dfrac{1}{ \dfrac{1}{c}+\dfrac{1}{d}} \right)&=\dfrac{1}{\dfrac{b+d+a+c}{(a+c)(b+d)}}-\left(\dfrac{1}{\dfrac{b+a}{ab}}+\dfrac{1}{\dfrac{d+c}{cd}} \right)\\&=\dfrac{(a+c)(b+d)}{a+b+c+d}-\dfrac{ab}{a+b}-\dfrac{cd}{ c+d}\\&=\\&= \small\dfrac{(a+c)(b+d)(a+b)(c+d)-ab(c+d)(a+b+c+d)-cd(a+b)(a+b+c+d)}{(a+b+c+d)(a+b)(c+d)}\\&=\tiny \dfrac{(a+c)(b+d)(a+b)(c+d)-ab(a+b)(c+d)-ab(c+d)^2-cd(a+b)^2-cd(a+b)(c+d)}{(a+b+c+d)(a+b)(c+d)}\\&= \dfrac{(a+b)(c+d)((a+c)(b+d)-ab-cd)-cd(a+b)^2-ab(c+d)^2}{(a+b+c+d)(a+b)(c+d)}\\&=\small\dfrac{(a+b)(c+d)(ab+ad+bc+cd-ab-cd)-cd(a^2+2ab++b^2)-\tiny ab(c^2+2cd++d^2)}{(a+b+c+d)(a+b)(c+d)}\\&= \dfrac{(ac+ad+bc+bd)(ad+bc)-a^2cd-2abcd-b^2cd-abc^2-2abcd-abd^2}{(a+b+c+d)(a+b)(c+d)}\\&=\small\dfrac{a^2cd+abc^2+a^2d^2+abcd+abcd+b^2c^2+abd^2+b^2cd-a^2cd-2abcd-b^2cd-abc^2-2abcd-abd^2}{(a+b+c+d)(a+b)(c+d)}\\&=\dfrac{a^2d^2-2abcd+b^2c^2}{(a+b+c+d)(a+b)(c+d)}\\&=\dfrac{(ad-bc)^2}{(a+b+c+d)(a+b)(c+d)}\\& \ge 0\end{align*}$

since $(ad-bc)^2 \ge 0$ and $(a+b+c+d)(a+b)(c+d) >0$ for all positive real numbers $a, b, c, d$ and we're now done.
emo10.gif
emo38.gif

I am getting so tired of keep previewing the post because of so many fractions and terms that I have to deal with in this particular problem...My head is hurting me so bad now and my vision is blurred for a moment!

anemone said:
Thanks for your post, mente oscura! I have been trying to digest what you have come up with for some time, hoping to see the light at the end of the tunnel but I am sorry, I couldn't possibly continue from there.

I want to share the solution that I found with you and the rest of the members:

If we shift everything from the left to the right, we get

$\dfrac{1}{\dfrac{1}{a}+\dfrac{1}{b}}+\dfrac{1}{ \dfrac{1}{c}+\dfrac{1}{d}} \le \dfrac{1}{\dfrac{1}{a+c}+\dfrac{1}{b+d}}$

Hello. Uff.:p

My calculations are:

[tex]\dfrac{1}{\frac{1}{a}+\frac{1}{b}}+\dfrac{1}{\frac{1}{c}+\frac{1}{d}} \le \dfrac{1}{\frac{1}{a+c}+\frac{1}{b+d}}[/tex][tex]\dfrac{1}{\frac{a+b}{ab}}+\dfrac{1}{\frac{c+d}{cd}} \le \dfrac{1}{\frac{a+b+c+d}{(a+c)(b+d)}}[/tex][tex]\dfrac{\frac{c+d}{cd}+\frac{a+b}{ab}}{\frac{(a+b)(c+d)}{abcd}} \le \dfrac{(a+c)(b+d)}{a+b+c+d}[/tex][tex]\dfrac{ab(c+d)+cd(a+b)}{(a+b)(c+d)} \le \dfrac{(a+c)(b+d)}{a+b+c+d}[/tex][tex]\dfrac{[ab(c+d)+cd(a+b)](a+b+c+d)}{(a+b)(c+d)(a+c)(b+d)} \le{1}[/tex][tex]\dfrac{[ab(c+d)+cd(a+b)] \cancel{(a+c)}}{(a+b)(c+d) \cancel{(a+c)}(b+d)}+\dfrac{[ab(c+d)+cd(a+b)] \cancel{(b+d)}}{(a+b)(c+d)(a+c) \cancel{(b+d)}} \le{1}[/tex][tex]\dfrac{ab \cancel{c+d}}{(a+b) \cancel{(c+d)}(b+d)}+\dfrac{cd \cancel{a+b}}{\cancel{(a+b)}(c+d)(b+d)}+\dfrac{ab \cancel{c+d}}{(a+b) \cancel{(c+d)}(a+c)}+\dfrac{cd \cancel{a+b}}{\cancel{(a+b)}(c+d)(a+c)} \le{1}[/tex][tex]\dfrac{ab}{ab+ad+b^2+bd}+\dfrac{cd}{bc+bd+cd+d^2}+\dfrac{ab}{a^2+ab+ac+bc}+\dfrac{cd}{ac+ad+c^2+cd} \le{1}[/tex]

The end:

[tex]\dfrac{1}{1+\frac{d}{b}+\frac{b}{a}+\frac{d}{a}}+ \dfrac{1}{1+\frac{b}{d}+\frac{b}{c}+\frac{d}{c}}+ \dfrac{1}{1+\frac{a}{b}+\frac{c}{b}+\frac{c}{a}}+ \dfrac{1}{1+\frac{a}{d}+\frac{a}{c}+\frac{c}{d}} \le{1}[/tex]

And, from here, as set out in my previous post.

anemone, would already be can it Digest better?(Poolparty)

Regards.

Thank you again mente oscura for the clarification post. I appreciate it!

anemone said:
$\dfrac{1}{\dfrac{1}{a}+\dfrac{1}{b}}+\dfrac{1}{ \dfrac{1}{c}+\dfrac{1}{d}}---
(1)$
$ \dfrac{1}{\dfrac{1}{a+c}+\dfrac{1}{b+d}}----(2)$
using $AP\geq GP :$
(1)$\leq\dfrac{\sqrt {ab}}{2}+\leq\dfrac{\sqrt {cd}}{2} $---(3)
(2)$\leq\dfrac{\sqrt {(a+c)(b+d)}}{2}$---(4)
$(3)^2=\dfrac {ab+cd+2\sqrt {abcd}}{4} ----(5)$
$(4)^2=\dfrac {ab+ad+bc+cd}{4}----(6)$
again using $AP\geq GP :$
$(6)\geq (5)$
and the proof is done

Last edited:
Albert said:
$\dfrac{1}{\dfrac{1}{a}+\dfrac{1}{b}}+\dfrac{1}{ \dfrac{1}{c}+\dfrac{1}{d}}---
(1)$
$ \dfrac{1}{\dfrac{1}{a+c}+\dfrac{1}{b+d}}----(2)$
using $AP\geq GP :$
(1)$\leq\dfrac{\sqrt {ab}}{2}+\leq\dfrac{\sqrt {cd}}{2} $---(3)
(2)$\leq\dfrac{\sqrt {(a+c)(b+d)}}{2}$---(4)
$(4)^2=\dfrac {ab+ad+bc+bd}{4}----(6)$
again using $AP\geq GP :$
$(6)\geq (5)$
and the proof is done
may be I am missing something
but a< b, c < d, b < d does not imply a < c

sory a typo in (6)

$ad+bc\geq 2\sqrt {abcd}$

Last edited by a moderator:
Albert said:
sory a typo in (6)

$ad+bc\geq 2\sqrt {abcd}$

(6) > (5) => (3) < (4) is true

But (3) < (4) and (1) < (3) and (2) < (4) does not mean (1) < (2) .

kaliprasad said:
(6) > (5) => (3) < (4) is true

But (3) < (4) and (1) < (3) and (2) < (4) does not mean (1) < (2) .

if (1)=(3) then a=b and c=d---(7)
if (2)=(4) then a+c=b+d---(8)
both (7) and (8) must hold together
(here a,b,c,d>0)

Last edited by a moderator:

FAQ: Prove Inequality: $\dfrac{1}{a}+\dfrac{1}{b}+\dfrac{1}{c}+\dfrac{1}{d}$

1. How do you prove the inequality $\dfrac{1}{a}+\dfrac{1}{b}+\dfrac{1}{c}+\dfrac{1}{d} \geq \dfrac{4}{\sqrt[4]{abcd}}$?

To prove this inequality, we can use the AM-GM inequality which states that for positive real numbers $x_1, x_2, ..., x_n$, the following holds: $\dfrac{x_1+x_2+...+x_n}{n} \geq \sqrt[n]{x_1x_2...x_n}$. In this case, we have four terms in the left hand side, so we can apply AM-GM twice to get the desired result.

2. Can the inequality be extended to more than four variables?

Yes, this inequality can be extended to any number of positive real variables. In general, for $n$ positive real numbers $x_1, x_2, ..., x_n$, the following holds: $\dfrac{1}{x_1}+\dfrac{1}{x_2}+...+\dfrac{1}{x_n} \geq \dfrac{n}{\sqrt[n]{x_1x_2...x_n}}$. This is known as the generalized AM-GM inequality.

3. What are the conditions for the inequality to hold?

The inequality holds when all the variables $a, b, c, d$ are positive real numbers. If any of the variables is negative, the inequality does not hold. Additionally, the inequality is strict when all the variables are equal, i.e. when $a=b=c=d$.

4. How can this inequality be used in real life applications?

This inequality is commonly used in mathematics to prove other inequalities and to solve optimization problems. In the real world, it can be used in various fields such as economics, engineering, and physics to optimize resources and find the most efficient solutions.

5. Are there any other methods to prove this inequality?

Yes, there are other methods to prove this inequality such as using Cauchy-Schwarz inequality, rearrangement inequality, and calculus methods. However, the AM-GM inequality is the most commonly used method and is often the simplest approach to proving this type of inequality.