Prove Inequality w/ Parseval's Formula

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathmari
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formula
In summary: No, you don't need to take an expansion. The Parseval's formula is just a way to cancel out certain terms in the Fourier series.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

Let $f: [0, \pi]\rightarrow \mathbb{R}$ a $C^{\infty}$ function for which the following stands:
$$g(0)=0 \ \ , \ \ g(\pi)=0$$

I have to show that $$\int_0^{\pi}g^2(x)dx \leq \int_0^{\pi}(g'(x))^2dx$$ using Parseval's formula.

I have done the following:

The Fourier series of $g$ is $$g \sim \frac{a_0}{2}+\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}\left (a_k \cos (kx)+b_k \sin (kx)\right )$$ where $$a_0=\frac{2}{\pi}\int_0^{\pi}g(x)dx \\ a_k=\frac{2}{\pi}\int_0^{\pi}g(x)\cos (kx)dx \ \ , \ \ k=1, 2, \dots \\ b_k=\frac{2}{\pi}\int_0^{\pi}g(x)\sin (kx)dx \ \ , \ \ k=1, 2, \dots $$

From Parseval's formula we have the following:

$$\int_0^{\pi}\left (\frac{a_0}{2}\right )^2dx+\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}\left (a_k^2\int_0^{\pi}\cos^2 (kx)dx+b_k^2\int_0^{\pi}\sin^2 (kx)dx\right )=\int_0^{\pi}g^2(x)dx \\ \Rightarrow \int_0^{\pi}g^2(x)dx=\frac{a_0^2}{4}\pi+\frac{\pi}{2}\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}\left (a_k^2+b_k^2\right )$$

The Fourier series of $g'$ is $$g'\sim \sum_{k=1}^{\infty}\left (kb_k\cos (kx)-ka_k\sin (kx)\right )$$

From Parseval's formula we have the following:

$$\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}\left (k^2b_k^2\int_0^{\pi}\cos^2 (kx)dx+(-k)^2a_k^2\int_0^{\pi}\sin^2 (kx)dx\right )=\int_0^{\pi}(g'(x))^2dx \\ \Rightarrow \int_0^{\pi}(g'(x))^2dx=\frac{\pi}{2}\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}\left (k^2b_k^2+k^2a_k^2\right )$$

Is this correct?? Or have I done something wrong at the application of Parseval's formula??

How could I continue to show the inequality $$\int_0^{\pi}g^2(x)dx \leq \int_0^{\pi}(g'(x))^2dx$$ ?? (Wondering)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi mathmari!

We want to use the fact that \(\displaystyle g\) satisfies the boundary conditions:

\(\displaystyle g(0)=g(\pi)=0\)

The way to do this is to note that this b.c. implies \(\displaystyle g\) can be expressed as a sine series (i.e. we don't need to use any cosine terms). For a reference on this see the Example section in

Sturm–Liouville theory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Let me know if anything is unclear/not quite right.

GJA said:
Hi mathmari!

We want to use the fact that \(\displaystyle g\) satisfies the boundary conditions:

\(\displaystyle g(0)=g(\pi)=0\)

The way to do this is to note that this b.c. implies \(\displaystyle g\) can be expressed as a sine series (i.e. we don't need to use any cosine terms). For a reference on this see the Example section in

Sturm–Liouville theory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Let me know if anything is unclear/not quite right.

Ok... Thank you! (Smile)

- - - Updated - - -

When we have to show with the Parseval's formula an inequality in which case do we have to take an expansion of the function that is involved at the inequality?? (Wondering)

FAQ: Prove Inequality w/ Parseval's Formula

1. What is Parseval's formula?

Parseval's formula is a mathematical theorem that relates the sum of the squares of the Fourier coefficients of a function to the integral of the squared magnitude of the function itself.

2. How is Parseval's formula related to proving inequalities?

Parseval's formula can be used to prove inequalities involving Fourier coefficients, by comparing the sum of the squares of the coefficients to the integral of the squared magnitude of the function. This allows for a more rigorous and precise way of proving inequalities.

3. Can Parseval's formula be used for any type of function?

Yes, Parseval's formula can be applied to any function that satisfies certain conditions, such as being square integrable. However, it is most commonly used for periodic functions.

4. Are there any limitations to using Parseval's formula for proving inequalities?

While Parseval's formula is a powerful tool for proving inequalities, it may not always yield the most optimal or straightforward proof. It is important to consider other methods as well and choose the most appropriate approach for a given problem.

5. Can Parseval's formula be used for multi-dimensional functions?

Yes, Parseval's formula can be extended to multi-dimensional functions, known as the Multidimensional Parseval's formula. However, it is more complex and involves higher dimensional integrals, making it more challenging to apply.