Prove √ is not a rational number

• Thread starter polatinte
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rational
In summary, the conversation discusses the proof that m√n is not a rational number for any natural numbers with n,m > 1, where n is not an mth power. This proof follows a similar argument to the classic proof that √2 is irrational. It involves setting up a contradiction and using modular arithmetic and induction. However, it can also be done more easily by counting prime factors.
polatinte

Homework Statement

"Prove m√n is not a rational number for any natural numbers with n,m > 1, where n is not an mth power"

Homework Equations

Natural numbers for us start at 1.
Since we know n is not an mth power, then n [itex]\neq[/itex] km for an arbitrary integer k.

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe this would follow a similar argument for the classic proof that √2 is irrational.

We set up the contradiction that m√n is actually rational. Then am=nbm for some a,b [itex]\in[/itex] [itex]Z[/itex], b [itex]\neq[/itex] 0, a,b are irreducible.
Then am is a multiple of n, so a is a multiple of n.

I'm assuming I need to prove this as a lemma.
I've attempted proving this by modular arithmetic.

Prove by contrapositive (If a is not a multiple of n, then am is not a multiple of n). But then there would be n-1 cases to check (infinitely many), so I follow with induction.
Base case: n=2, a [itex]\equiv[/itex] 1 (mod 2), then a2 [itex]\equiv[/itex] 12 = 1 [itex]\equiv[/itex] 1 (mod 2).
Base case checks out, so we can assume the inductive hypothesis that this is true for all n.
To show show n+1, the (mod n) turns into (mod n+1), so how do I use the inductive hypothesis on this?
This is the point where I get lost. Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can do this proof much more easily just by counting prime factors.

Related to Prove √ is not a rational number

1. How is a number considered rational or irrational?

A number is considered rational if it can be expressed as a fraction of two integers (a/b). An irrational number, on the other hand, cannot be expressed as a fraction and has an infinite number of non-repeating decimal digits.

2. Can you provide an example of a rational number?

Yes, an example of a rational number is 3/4. This can be expressed as a fraction and has a finite number of decimal digits (0.75).

3. How can you prove that the square root of a number is irrational?

To prove that the square root of a number (such as √2) is irrational, we can use a proof by contradiction. We assume that √2 is rational, meaning it can be expressed as a fraction (a/b). We then manipulate the equation and show that it leads to a contradiction, thus proving that √2 (and any other square root) is irrational.

4. Is the square root of all numbers irrational?

No, the square root of some numbers (such as 4 or 9) is rational. The key factor is whether the number under the square root sign can be expressed as the square of an integer. If it can, then the square root will be rational.

5. Why is it important to know whether the square root is rational or irrational?

Knowing whether the square root of a number is rational or irrational can have practical applications in fields such as engineering and computer science. It also helps us understand the nature of numbers and how they can be expressed, which is fundamental in mathematics.