Prove Markov Process Using Induction

In summary, the conversation discusses a proof by induction for the statement involving a stochastic process and its properties as a Markov process. The proof is shown to hold for the base case and the induction step, and it is mentioned that the state space is a closed property of the Markov process.
hadron23
Hi,

I proved the following statement by induction. Does anyone see any oversights or glaring errors? It is for a class where the homework is assigned but not collected, and I just want to know if I did it right. ThanksQUESTION:
Consider the stochastic process [itex]\{X_t,\,t=0,1,2,\ldots\}[/itex] described by,
\begin{align}
X_{t+1} = f_t(X_t,W_t),\,t=0,1,2,\ldots
\end{align}
where [itex]f_0,f_1,f_2,\ldots[/itex] are given functions, [itex]X_0[/itex] is a random variable with given cumulative distribution function, and [itex]W_0,W_1,W_2,\ldots[/itex] are mutually independent rv's that are independent of [itex]X_0[/itex], and have given CDFs. Prove that [itex]\{X_t,\,t=0,1,2,\ldots\}[/itex] is a Markov process.SOLUTION:
We prove the result by induction. Consider the base case, with [itex]t=2[/itex],
\begin{eqnarray*}
P(X_2 = x_2|X_1=x_1,X_0=x_0)
& = & P(f_1(X_1,W_1)=x_2|f_0(X_0,W_0)=x_1,X_0=x_0)\\
& = & P(f_1(X_1,W_1)=x_2|f_0(X_0,W_0)=x_1)\qquad\text{(since }X_0\text{ is independent of }W_1)
\end{eqnarray*}
Now, the induction hypothesis is, assume,
\begin{align}
P(X_n = x_n|X_{n-1}=x_{n-1},\ldots,X_0=x_0) = P(X_n = x_n|X_{n-1}=x_{n-1})
\end{align}
We wish to prove the following (induction step),
\begin{eqnarray*}
& & P(X_{n+1} = x_{n+1}|X_n=x_n,X_{n-1}=x_{n-1},\ldots X_0=x_0) \\
& = & P(X_{n+1} = x_{n+1}|X_n=x_n)\\
& = & P(f_n(X_n,W_n)=x_{n+1}|f_{n-1}(X_{n-1},W_{n-1})=x_n,f_{n-2}(X_{n-2},W_{n-2})=x_{n-1},\ldots,X_0=x_0)
\end{eqnarray*}
But from the induction hypothesis, we know that given the present, denoted [itex]X_{n-1}[/itex], the future, [itex]X_n[/itex], and past, [itex]X_{n-1},\ldots,X_0[/itex] are conditionally independent. Also functions of conditionally independent random variables are also conditionally independent. Also using the fact that [itex]W_0,W_1,W_2,\ldots[/itex] are mutually independent rv's that are independent of [itex]X_0[/itex], we obtain,}
\begin{eqnarray*}
P(X_{n+1} = x_{n+1}|X_n=x_n,\ldots X_0=x_0) & = & P(f_n(X_n,W_n)=x_{n+1}|f_{n-1}(X_{n-1},W_{n-1})=x_n,\ldots,X_0=x_0)\\
& = & P(f_n(X_n,W_n)=x_{n+1}|f_{n-1}(X_{n-1},W_{n-1})=x_n)\\
& = & P(X_{n+1}=x_{n+1}|X_n = x_n)
\end{eqnarray*}

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hey hadron23 and welcome to the forums.

I think the proof is ok, but I'm wondering about the other properties of the Markov process.

One of the other properties of the Markov process is that the state space is 'closed' (I can't think of the proper term). By that I mean that the potential state-space of the chain is the same for every n.

This seems to be an implicit property, but maybe you have to show a one or two line proof that this holds. I'm only saying this because when I did this course I had to do this, but it might not apply for you.

Related to Prove Markov Process Using Induction

1. What is a Markov process?

A Markov process, also known as a Markov chain, is a stochastic model used to describe a sequence of events where the probability of transitioning to a future state only depends on the current state and not on any past states.

2. How is induction used to prove a Markov process?

Induction is used to prove that a Markov process satisfies the Markov property, which states that the future state of the process depends only on the current state and not on any past states. This is done by showing that the probability of transitioning from one state to another only depends on the current state and not on how the process arrived at that state.

3. What is the role of the base case in proving a Markov process using induction?

The base case is used to establish the initial condition of the process, which is necessary for the induction step to begin. It is usually the starting state of the process and serves as the foundation for proving the Markov property for all future states.

4. Can a Markov process be proven using strong induction?

Yes, a Markov process can be proven using strong induction in cases where the process has multiple states and the transition probabilities depend on a combination of past states. In such cases, strong induction can be used to prove the Markov property for all possible combinations of past states.

5. Are there any limitations to using induction to prove a Markov process?

One limitation of using induction to prove a Markov process is that it only applies to discrete-time processes, where the state space is countable. Continuous-time processes and processes with uncountable state spaces require different methods of proof. Additionally, induction can only prove the Markov property and not other properties of a Markov process, which may require different techniques.

Back