Prove Midpoints of Quadrilateral Form Parallelogram

In summary, the line segments joining the midpoints of the consecutive sides of a quadrilateral form a parallelogram.
spoc21

Homework Statement

Use Cartesian vectors in two-space to prove that the line segments joining midpoints of the consecutive sides of a quadrilateral form a parallelogram.

Homework Equations

We could say vectors a and b

a = [a1, a2]
b = [b1, b2]

The Attempt at a Solution

Am really confused by this question..I would really appreciate it if anyone could offer tips to help me get started on this problem.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi spoc21! :smile:
spoc21 said:
We could say vectors a and b

a = [a1, a2]
b = [b1, b2]

So far so good! :smile:

Next would be

c = [c1, c2]
d = [d1, d2]

Now what are the midpoints of ab, bc, cd, and da ? :wink:

Hi tiny-tim,

so if we use the midpoint formula, we would get the following:

midpoint of ab = (a1+b1/2, a2 + b2/2)

midpoint of bc = (b1 + c1/2, b2c2/2)

midpoint of cd = ( c1+ d1/2, c2 + d2/2)

midpoint of da = (d1 + a1/2, d2 + a2/2)

Now I'm stuck, how would I show that joining these points would produce a parallelogram.

Thank you very much for your help!

You should identify the midpoints - give them names, such as by saying the E is the midpoint between A and B, F is the midpoint between B and C, G is the midpoint between C and D, H is the midpoint between C and D, and I is the midpoint between D and A.

Now if the segments EF and GH are parallel, and the segments FG and HI are parallel, then EFGH is a parallelogram.

One nit: In your midpoint formulas, add parentheses around the sums. E.g., ((a1 + b1)/2, (a2 + b2)/2)

ok, so I get the following results

EF = [(c1 - a1)/2, (c2 - a2)/2]
GH = [(a1 - c1)/2, a2 - c2)/2]

I'm a little lost here..(don't know how to proceed)

Also, you said "G is the midpoint between C and D, H is the midpoint between C and D, and I is the midpoint between D and A."

Are there two midpoints G, as well as H between C, and D?

Thanks for your help

I lost track of my midpoints. There should only be four of them E, F, G, and H - no I needed. I meant "H is the midpoint between D and A."

You can check that your vectors EF and GH are parallel by showing that their slopes are the same. The slope of a vector v = <a, b> is b/a.

ok thanks Mark..also, I was wondering if there is a way to solve this using the properties of cross products?

|u X v| = |u||v|sin(theta), where theta is the angle between u and v. If u and v are parallel, the angle between them will be 0 or pi, so the magnitude of the cross product will be zero.

So I have attached my working in pdf format, and would appreciate if you could just take a quick look at it, as I am unsure if this is correct...Thanks!

Attachments

• cross product proof 1.pdf
    162 KB · Views: 201
Hi spoc21! :smile:

ok, but a little long-winded.

(and why are you using square brackets instead of the usual round ones? has your professor told you to? :confused:)

It would have saved time and space to choose an easier notation

let A = (xA,yA) etc

then the midpoints are MAB = 1/2 (xB + xA, yB + yA) etc

and the vectors joining consecutive midpoints are VAC = 1/2 (xC - xA, yC - yA) etc

so VAC = -VCA and VBD = -VDB

in other words, opposite sides of the quadrilateral are parallel, and so it must be a parallelogram ("equal in magnitude" is a bonus, but not necessary for the proof) :wink:

(note incidentally that there would have been no need to use Cartesian coordinates if the question hadn't required them … you can just use vector symbols, eg mAB = 1/2 (b + a) etc :smile:)

EDIT: just noticed another way, that throws slightly more light on the position of the parallelogram …

use the fact that if the midpoints of the two diagonals of a quadrilateral coincide, then it's a parallelogram …

and those midpoints, for the new quadrilateral, are (both) 1/4 (a + b + c + d) …

so it's a parallelogram, and "centred" in the same place as the original quadrilateral :wink:

Last edited:

Related to Prove Midpoints of Quadrilateral Form Parallelogram

1. What is a Cartesian vector?

A Cartesian vector is a mathematical quantity that has both magnitude and direction. It is commonly represented as an arrow in a coordinate system, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude and the direction of the arrow representing the direction.

2. How do you calculate the magnitude of a Cartesian vector?

The magnitude of a Cartesian vector can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, where the magnitude is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of the vector's components. Alternatively, it can also be calculated using the distance formula if the vector is represented as two points in a coordinate system.

3. What is the difference between a Cartesian vector and a polar vector?

A Cartesian vector is represented in a coordinate system using x, y, and possibly z components, while a polar vector is represented using a magnitude and an angle. Additionally, a Cartesian vector is often used in two-dimensional systems, while a polar vector is used in three-dimensional systems.

4. How do you add or subtract Cartesian vectors?

To add or subtract Cartesian vectors, you simply add or subtract their respective components. For example, to add two vectors with components (x1, y1) and (x2, y2), you would add x1 + x2 and y1 + y2 to get the resulting vector. Similarly, to subtract, you would subtract the second vector's components from the first vector's components.

5. Can Cartesian vectors be used in physics?

Yes, Cartesian vectors are commonly used in physics to represent quantities such as velocity, acceleration, and force. They are especially useful in analyzing motion and forces in two or three-dimensional systems.