Prove: Normal Projector iff Self Adjoint

In summary, we are discussing how to prove that a matrix P is normal if and only if it is self adjoint (or Hermitian). We define a projector as a matrix that satisfies P=P^2, and normal as PP* = P*P. To prove that if P is normal, then it is self adjoint, we can show that P is an orthogonal projection and use the fact that ker(P) = ker(P*) to show that |Px| = |P*x|. To prove the other direction, we can use the complex inner product to show that |Px|^2 = <Px,Px> = (Px)^*Px = x^*P^*Px, which leads to P being self adj
math8
How do you prove that a projector is normal if and only if it is self adjoint?

I know a matrix P is a projector if [tex]P=P^{2}[/tex] and P is normal if PP* = P*P and P is self adjoint (or hermitian) if P= P*.

I think I know how to prove that if the projector P is self adjoint then P is normal.

But I am not sure how to proceed to prove that if the projector P is normal, then it is Self adjoint.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm bumping this to see if anyone has any ideas on this I've put in close to a couple of hours but haven't made much headway.

We have a matrix P that is a projector (so P2 = P), and normal (so PP* = P*P), and need to show that P is Hermitian (hence P = P*).

Perhaps we can try showing that under the hypothesis, it is an orthogonal projection and thus self adjoint. And also using the fact that if P is normal, then ker(P) = ker(P*). This will involve some messy orthogonal subspaces stuff, however.

Last edited:
Thanks, I get the idea.

How do you prove that if if P is normal, then ker(P) = ker(P*) ? I know it involves the fact that Ker (P)= Ker (P*P), but how do we prove this?

I think to show this, try showing that |Px| = |P*x|, using the fact that P*P - PP* = 0 (I do not know the exact method, however, off the top of my head).

as VeeEight suggest, how about if you have the complex inner product defined, then
[tex] |Px|^2 = <Px,Px> = (Px)^*Px= x^*P^*Px =...[/tex]

FAQ: Prove: Normal Projector iff Self Adjoint

1. What does it mean for a projector to be normal?

A projector is considered normal if it commutes with its adjoint, meaning that the order of applying the projector and its adjoint does not matter. In other words, the adjoint of a normal projector is equal to the projector itself.

2. How is a normal projector different from a self-adjoint projector?

A self-adjoint projector is a special case of a normal projector, where the projector and its adjoint are equal. This means that the projector is its own inverse, and it projects a vector onto itself.

3. Can you provide an example of a normal projector that is not self-adjoint?

Yes, the projection operator onto the x-axis in three-dimensional space is a normal projector, but it is not self-adjoint. Its adjoint is the projection operator onto the y-axis, which is not equal to the original projector.

4. How is the normality of a projector related to its eigenvalues?

A normal projector has a complete set of orthogonal eigenvectors with corresponding eigenvalues of either 0 or 1. This means that the projector is diagonalizable and its eigenvalues represent the proportion of the vector that is projected onto the corresponding eigenvector.

5. Why is the normality of a projector important in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, operators that represent physical observables such as position, momentum, and energy must be self-adjoint. Normal projectors can be used to construct self-adjoint operators, making the concept of normality crucial in understanding the mathematical framework of quantum mechanics.

Back