Prove One-to-One Correspondence Conjugate Subgroups & Cosets N

• MHB
  • Thread starter Kiwi1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Conjugate
In summary: The set of conjugates of H is the orbit of H under the conjugation action of G, while the set of cosets of N is the orbit of N under the left multiplication action of G. Since group actions preserve cardinality, we have a 1:1 correspondence between the orbits of H and N, and thus between the sets of conjugates and cosets.
Kiwi1
Q. Prove there is a one-to-one correspondence between the set of conjugates of H and the set of cosets of N.

I have a solution to this below but am not sure if it is correct. In particular I am not sure if my definition 'f' is satisfactory. This is self study and not any kind of homework.

I have:
[tex]aHa^{-1}=\{axa^{-1}:x\epsilon H\}[/tex]
[tex]N=\{a \epsilon G: axa^{-1} \epsilon H[/tex] for every [tex]x \epsilon H \}[/tex]

I have proven as part of the previous question:
Q7. For any [tex]a,b \epsilon G, aHa^{-1}= bHb^{-1} [/tex] iff [tex]b^{-1}a \epsilon N [/tex] iff [tex] aN=bN[/tex]

SOLUTION
define the set of conjugates: [tex]X=\{aHa^{-1}:a \epsilon G \}[/tex]
define the set of cosets of N: [tex]Y=\{aN:a \epsilon G \}[/tex]

define [tex]f:X \rightarrow Y[/tex] by [tex]f(aHa^{-1})=aN[/tex]

f is well defined because if [tex]aHa^{-1}=bHb^{-1}[/tex] then aN = bN by Q7.

Surjectivity:
for any [tex]aN \epsilon Y[/tex]
[tex]f(aHa^{-1})=aN[/tex]
where [tex]aHa^{-1} \epsilon X[/tex]
therefore f is surjective

Injectivity:
suppose aN = bN
[tex]\therefore f(aHa^{-1})=f(bHb^{-1})[/tex]
where [tex]aHa^{-1}=bHb^{-1}[/tex] by Q7.
therefore f is injective

There is a bijection f from X to Y so there is a 1:1 correspondence between the members of X and Y.

Is this solution reasonably rigorous?

Physics news on Phys.org
Kiwi said:
Q. Prove there is a one-to-one correspondence between the set of conjugates of H and the set of cosets of N.

I have a solution to this below but am not sure if it is correct. In particular I am not sure if my definition 'f' is satisfactory. This is self study and not any kind of homework.

I have:
[tex]aHa^{-1}=\{axa^{-1}:x\epsilon H\}[/tex]
[tex]N=\{a \epsilon G: axa^{-1} \epsilon H[/tex] for every [tex]x \epsilon H \}[/tex]

I have proven as part of the previous question:
Q7. For any [tex]a,b \epsilon G, aHa^{-1}= bHb^{-1} [/tex] iff [tex]b^{-1}a \epsilon N [/tex] iff [tex] aN=bN[/tex]

SOLUTION
define the set of conjugates: [tex]X=\{aHa^{-1}:a \epsilon G \}[/tex]
define the set of cosets of N: [tex]Y=\{aN:a \epsilon G \}[/tex]

define [tex]f:X \rightarrow Y[/tex] by [tex]f(aHa^{-1})=aN[/tex]

f is well defined because if [tex]aHa^{-1}=bHb^{-1}[/tex] then aN = bN by Q7.

Surjectivity:
for any [tex]aN \epsilon Y[/tex]
[tex]f(aHa^{-1})=aN[/tex]
where [tex]aHa^{-1} \epsilon X[/tex]
therefore f is surjective

Injectivity:
suppose aN = bN
[tex]\therefore f(aHa^{-1})=f(bHb^{-1})[/tex]
where [tex]aHa^{-1}=bHb^{-1}[/tex] by Q7.
therefore f is injective

There is a bijection f from X to Y so there is a 1:1 correspondence between the members of X and Y.

Is this solution reasonably rigorous?
Your solution is fine. If you know group actions, then I can tell you a shorter solution.

Related to Prove One-to-One Correspondence Conjugate Subgroups & Cosets N

1. What is a one-to-one correspondence in relation to conjugate subgroups and cosets?

A one-to-one correspondence, also known as a bijection, is a mapping between two sets where each element in the first set is paired with exactly one element in the second set. In the context of conjugate subgroups and cosets, this means that each element in one subgroup has a unique corresponding element in the conjugate subgroup.

2. How are one-to-one correspondence and conjugate subgroups related?

In group theory, conjugate subgroups are defined as subgroups that are equivalent to each other through a process of conjugation, or transforming each element in the subgroup by multiplying it with an element from the larger group. One-to-one correspondence is important for identifying and understanding the relationship between these conjugate subgroups.

3. What is the significance of one-to-one correspondence in group theory?

One-to-one correspondence is a fundamental concept in group theory as it allows us to establish an isomorphism between two groups. This means that the two groups have the same structure and properties, even though their elements may be different. In particular, one-to-one correspondence helps us understand the relationship between conjugate subgroups and cosets.

4. How is the idea of one-to-one correspondence applied in the study of cosets?

Cosets are defined as the set of all elements obtained by multiplying a fixed element in a subgroup by all elements in the larger group. This process of multiplication can be seen as a one-to-one correspondence between the elements in the subgroup and the elements in the coset. This correspondence allows us to better understand the structure and properties of cosets.

5. Can you give an example of one-to-one correspondence in the context of conjugate subgroups and cosets?

One example of one-to-one correspondence in this context is the conjugation process itself. For any two conjugate subgroups, there exists a one-to-one correspondence between their elements. This means that for every element in one subgroup, there is a unique corresponding element in the conjugate subgroup, and vice versa. This correspondence also extends to the cosets of these subgroups.